PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for an old printer?

lightsmith
07-06-2001, 01:49 PM
My 1994 Apple LaserWriter 600 Pro, with less than 20k pages printed had the I/O board go bad. The local Mac authorized repair place diagnosed the problem but the repair cost seemed a bit too high and the new Minolta color laser printer looks really cool. Does anyone have any suggestions as to who might want a printer in this condition? The alternative is to trash it, but that seems like a waste.

billbo
07-12-2001, 02:09 AM
In my experience, if you have a piece of tech-gear go beyond repair, have friends that are artist's is a wonderful thing. You don't really want to spend the dough on totally regutting it, yet, you don't want to just through it into the dumpster, here's where a art-fag (sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone in anyway by that, but my wife's an artist, and that's just what we call her peers http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) comes in.

I gave a old 386 machine to a friend that wanted the case and the monitor. Well, he turned what I gave him into a $700.00 profit, and on the way home from his "closing", I was thinking what the hell I could do with the rest of the computer. We walked right past an old house that was being renovated, and I saw a broken window (only the glass was broken, but there was about 30-50years of dirt, grime and dust on the remaining glass) laying next to the trash. I grabbed it and when he asked me what I was going to do with it, I told 'em if he could make seven hundred bucks off of that computer, so could I. Well, I basicly nailed the motherboard to the window frame, and hung it horizontaly on my wall.

Two weeks later, we had a reception at our house for one of my wife's shows, and the same guy that bought our friend's piece wanted to by the one I'd made to go with his earlier purchase. He offered me $500.00 for it, but my wife wouldn't let me sell it, because she was <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"so proud of me for completing my first piece"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>.

Needless say, somebody will have a use for it

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscience state"

lightsmith
07-12-2001, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. I do photography & digital imaging, and some of it might be considered "off the wall," but I had not thought of "sculpture" as a solution to my problem. ... you know it could make a pretty big "IN-OUT" box...

If you would like to see some of my stuff, check out my web site at: www.synergies.com (http://www.synergies.com)