PDA

View Full Version : Start-up, no-bong; re-start, bong, all OK/ Whassup?

Dave Liwanag
06-05-2001, 12:11 PM
Gurus,

Machine is a 7300 with a Powerlogix first-generation G4/350. Just added two 128 EDO DIMMS and two more VRAM Dimms (total four). When I try starting up, I get nothing. On re-try I get the normal chime and everything seems to work OK (one of the ATI extension icons has the green cross over it on start-up; I think it's video-out, but don't use it so not sure. Was a used machine and the Rage card came installed). I zapped the PRAM button, and have swapped the two EDO DIMMs between the A1, B1 slots -- no difference. Would sequence of the VRAM Dimms make a diff? Machine works OK after start, just annoying not knowing what's causing the machine to need two start-up tries.

Thanks.

audio buff
06-05-2001, 03:50 PM
I recently had the same thing happen to me when I put in a new hardrive. I had used the driver utiility that came with ls 9.0 and then 9.1. Then I called seagate and they recommended driver 1.7.3 which is update from 8.6. I did a low level format and reinitialized and wallah no double start ups. I guess their was some kinda compatability problem between my drive and os 9.1,s driver. I,ve heard speed tools is also da bomb. I've downloaded it for free. entech website or perhaps the gurus website. let ya know how it goes.

EGPoulin
06-05-2001, 09:38 PM
I also have had this problem on 2 PowerComputing Machines. Two fixes that I found:

1) Replace the Internal Battery

and

2) Turn off the startup memory tests in the memory control panel. Before you do this though, make sure that your RAM is good buy running a few tests. First basic one is to open and let the system verify a large disk image a few times (couple hundered megs) and then run the XLR8 power control memory test over night. Once you're sure that they memory is good, while opening the memory control panel, hold the option key (I think, anyone want to confirm) and at the bottom there will be an option to turn off the startup tests. This should also reduce boot time a little.

A few other people came across other fixes and they will most likely post them if these don't work.

~~~Eric~~~

magician
06-06-2001, 02:56 AM
uh...command and option key when opening the memory control panel will toggle the memory tests option.

I guess I would try with just two VRAM DIMMs installed at a time, and see if it makes any difference.

make sure you pay attention to which banks you are using! Look carefully at the logic board!

then...I would pull all memory, and try with just one piece at a time, to see if it makes any difference.

apparently, there have been a lot of recent posts of problems with OWC cheap memory and PowerLogix daughtercards.

hate to say it, but I don't mess around with either in my Macs.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

hope this helps.

tachyon
06-27-2001, 11:39 PM
Dave, let’s get this clear:

1. Are they 5V EDO DIMMs, or perhaps you have inadvertently installed 3.3V for a 4400/7220?

2. The button resets the CUDA chip, not the PRAM. Cmd-opt-P-R at startup clears the PRAM, but does not reset the CUDA chip. This button should be pressed while there is no battery or AC power connected.

nrrdkore
07-07-2001, 03:19 PM
I'm having a similar problem with my 7300. I have a XLR8 CarrierZIF G3 366 daughter card installed, 4MB VRAM, and 256MB RAM in 2 128MB 5v FPM DIMMS. I always get the 'bong', but when I have the RAM interleaved, I don't get any video displayed - just a blank screen. Actually, I'm using a Gateway VGA monitor and a switchless MAC->VGA adapter, so the monitor isn't turning itself on because it isn't receiving a video signal (I hate these smart monitors). I've read where Sonnet G3 upgrades have problems w/ memory interleaving, is this so with the XLR8?

magician
07-08-2001, 01:23 AM
not in my experience.

you may want to reseat your VRAM, or swap it out in pairs to see if you have some defective pieces.

you may also want to run some memory test utilities on your DRAM.

tachyon
07-08-2001, 08:30 AM
I recently had a recommendation from Sonnet Tech Support to DE-interleave RAM in Macs that have their upgrades, straight from the horse's mouth. He said everything might be find for months then BOOM, no startup until you reseat the card/press CUDA button/run their VNRAM restore floppy/de-interleave RAM and reboot.
Interleavers beware!

Dave Liwanag
07-09-2001, 01:19 PM
Powerlogix and Data Memory Systems thought the problem might be in the DIMMs, so I got DMS to swap out and now have four 64Mb (FPM vice EDO) 2k refresh sticks. Thought that might be the fix. Interleaved or de-interleaved still got the same problem. The G4-350 and four FPM sticks are at Powerlogix now.