PDA

View Full Version : Beige G3 (G4) DT can't find startup disk?

benkim
06-25-2001, 11:56 AM
This is an odd one - I just sent a G4-upgraded Beige G3 DT rev. 2 to a friend and he says that it won't find the startup disk (blinking "?"). I double-checked the Mac before sending it out, and I know it was having problems booting of the 8.6 CD (it's running 9.1), but booted fine off the hard drive.

The HD is a 20GB IBM that's attached to a Sonnet Tempo. AFAIK, all the connections are okay. Could something in transit have done something to it? FedEx has usually been okay...

Ideas?

Big Al
06-25-2001, 12:44 PM
The first thing I would do is open up the box and check all the connections. One (or more) may have wiggled loose during shipping. Don't look for complex problems until you've eliminated the simple ones.

kaye
06-25-2001, 12:45 PM
b,

You are going to have to tell your friend how to open the box and ground him/her self. Then make sure everything is seated, PCI cards, processor, ram, cables, etc. I had a computer shipped to me, NuBus type, and everything in the NuBus slots was virtually shaken out of the slots and crashing around inside. Cables in disarray, ram OK and PDS terminator OK. Couple of grills that snap onto the box were completely out and rattling around. My shipment was well packed, but... Fortunately everything went back together and worked OK. So I suspect something has come loose inside your Beige G3. k

benkim
06-25-2001, 12:55 PM
By the way, does 9.1 do something to the firmware (or the like)? After having upgraded to 9.1, my Macs weren't able to boot off of an 8.6 CD. Granted, the 8.6 "startup" CD was merely a burnt-copy of my old 8.6 system folder, but it did work when the machines themselves were under 8.6 (the last great classic OS, IMHO).

magician
07-08-2001, 12:39 AM
OS9.1 doesn't, but OSX sure does.

i would tear the machine apart and rebuild it, cleaning as you go, carefully and firmly seating parts.

that fixes a lot of problems in itself, and facilitates isolation of defective or failed parts.

just build and test as you go, and when you encounter a failure, swap out the part, and keep going.