PDA

View Full Version : 7300 monitor resolution stuck?

Baggy
07-06-2001, 06:35 AM
I have just bought a 7300 with 64mb ram, 2mb VRAM and the only screen resolution available in Monitors CP is 1152x870 under a heading of "Two Page Display". There is no other res option. This would be ok on a 21" but on a 15" I need a magnifying glass! Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. I have already reseated all cards and installed OS9 - it came with 8.5 and the same problem existed there also.
I have also tried a different monitor - both PC types with adaptors, one with a manual, one automatic setting. Both of the monitors work perfectly with my other macs so this has to be a 7300 problem.
Help!!??!! Please.

ChrisYip
07-06-2001, 07:34 AM
Naive question - that's with the stock video output?.

What other Macs are you using your adapter with? Are they newer (or older) than the 7300 - The reason I ask is that perhaps the adapter settings are what are screwing up the resolution setting on the monitor CP. I have a Sony 17" 200SX on my 7300 via an adapter and it is fixed at 1024 x 768 - the only option being colour depth. The other machines that I have adapters for my monitors are all running on fixed resolutions, that being set by the adapter. I also have an old Apple Portrait monitor on a 7300 and it autosensed in at 640 x 870 at 256 shades of gray...

On your other machines - do you have variable resolutions available to you under the Monitors CP? Or are they all fixed.

You could try trashing the Monitor Prefs and zapping your PRAM - the usual troubleshooting approaches

HTH

Chris

ChrisYip
07-06-2001, 07:35 AM
Don't suppose you have an Apple monitor floating around that you could try it out on? (or have access to one?) - that would certainly help out

Chris

Baggy
07-06-2001, 07:52 AM
Chris, thanks for your amazingly fast response.
A lot of repsonses to make:
My other macs are a 6500 running the same OS, using a 17" monitor. All resolutions are available. I attached this monitor to the 7300 and only have the one res available, this was after starting with the 15"
The next thing I did was to zap the PRAM. No change. The OS install I did was a clean one. No change.
I have an identical 15" monitor running happily on a 11vx, albeit at 13" size! That has minimum VRAM (if any?) and only gives one res.
I have just trashed the monitor prefs and rebuilt the desktop and nothing has changed.
I don't have an apple monitor unfortunately but I don't think that is going to make any difference.
I three different makes of adaptor, two auto, one manual. All work in the 6500, all give the different res. All give just one res in the 7300!!

Baggy
07-06-2001, 07:56 AM
Alopogies for the spelling mistakes!!
I missed your "naive" question. Did you mean "STUCK" or "STOCK". I meant that I was STUCK with just one res.

Thanks,
Tony

ChrisYip
07-06-2001, 08:31 AM
Oh - I meant - are you using the stock video out on the 7300 (i.e. the motherboard video) or is there another video card in the machine.

Hmmmm

When you boot up - does it immediately drop into that two page resolution or do you start out at 640 x 480? and then does it swap? (my G4 does this on its stock video) Not that this has any real bearing but I'm just fishing at the moment.

How about an NVRAM flush? - (Apple-Option-P-R for 4 bongs rather than three..)

I suppose you could also try a CUDA reset and see if that helps - that should reset the motherboard...

Chris

Baggy
07-06-2001, 09:11 AM
Chris, please excuse my ignorance! I have been using macs for 14 years but my knowledge of what goes on inside is probably more limited than it should be.
As far as I can see there are no video cards in the machine. What is installed are 3 ram chips, and another card in a slot between the two ram bays, offset, I presume that this is the level 2 cache. The only other cards are 2 vram cards in positions 1 & 3 and a large vertical card with a heat sink on it, which I conclude is the processor. There are no cards that the monitor is attached to. The monitor is connected to the motherboard outlet.
It boots up in the 1152 res, even with Techtool3, there is no switch.
I have no idea what a CUDA reset is, please explain.

Chris, we have cracked it - the 4 chime zap has done it. Thank you very much, but please tell me what a CUDA reset is - I neeeeed to know!!! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kaye
07-06-2001, 10:01 AM
Excellent job Chris and Baggy. The motherboard diagram is here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/obj_show_page.cgi?mbppc7300.html and note that along the left side of the diagram and rear of the motherboard is Cuda Reset. Hold the button down with power off for at least 30 seconds and it will flush and zero out PRAM and NVRAM (NVRAM is where your monitor resolutions are stored). Same as doing the four key and four bongs you did.

The next startup forces the monitor and computer to communicate with each other about what the monitor and adapter (some adapters are not multisync or may not be set correctly) are capable of. k

Baggy
07-06-2001, 10:32 AM
Thank you for all your help - I literally couldn't have done it without you!
I will pass your details on whenever possible and thanks again! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif