PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Internet Pro Keyboard Woes

the_anarch
06-11-2001, 09:33 AM
Anyone else using a Microsoft USB keyboard with their downloadable driver experiencing problems? Like if the machine's idle too long it hangs?

I just got an Internet Pro keyboard yesterday. I downloaded the driver and installed it on my PTPro (with XLR8 DualPort USB card and OS 8.6). Ever since then I've had several forced restarts, usually because the system suddenly stops responding to the mouse or keyboard after a moderate period of idleness. Sometimes it crashed while I was trying to use Eudora, or once while I was trying to use the volume control buttons...

Anyone seen symptoms like this?

jorge
06-11-2001, 12:06 PM
USBoverdrive.

enough said.

j

the_anarch
06-11-2001, 12:23 PM
Are you saying "USB OverDrive could be the cause of your problems, because it conflicts with the Microsoft Keyboard driver"? Or are you saying, "Install USB OverDrive it's the answer to all your questions"?

Because I do have USB OverDrive installed, it's running my IntelliMouse Explorer. And I didn't think that USB OverDrive had keyboard capabilities- I thought it only did mice and joysticks.

But if it's conflicting with my keyboard driver, then I can uninstall it and use the software that came with my mouse to drive it. (Although- didn't I hear that Microsoft's mouse driver for the Mac is just a licensed version of USB OverDrive?)

Dogstarman
06-11-2001, 03:04 PM
MS used USB Overdrive as a starting point for their IntelliMouse software (ooops, almost said "driver"). From there, I have no idea what they did to it. Since it is easy enough, I would try disabling USB OD and see what happens. It's a good starting point anyway.

Eudora was a source of many crashes for me. But after I got all the kinks worked out, I loved it again. It made me scrutinize my extension set and once the weaklings were gone I am back to rock solidity.

Being a Guru, I assume you have installed all the relevant, latest SW? USB Card Support, mostly.

the_anarch
06-11-2001, 05:37 PM
It's never safe to assume anything with me, guru (with a little 'g') or not.

I was assuming I had all the latest USB support stuff too, but I figured out that the Card Support extensions are actually different from the usual suspects. So tonight I'll make sure I've got a freshly-downloaded copy from Apple installed and go from there.

One last stupid thing- someone else on these boards once mentioned that they had bought one at Staples that had both Windows and Mac logos on the box. I bought mine at Staples too but it only had Windows logos on it. I can't imagine they made some kind of revision in the keyboard's hardware when they issued the Mac-logo packaging, but...?

Dogstarman
06-11-2001, 06:46 PM
Not that I "know" them, but "knowing" MS as I do.....I wouldn't be surprised if they had a different compnent somewhere. It only takes one measly chip to totally screw up a good thing. With all the platforms out there, it might almost be easier to denote what ones they are known NOT to work with as well.

Huh, looking into my extensions, I realize I have nothing installed by USB Card Support. It's all OS 9 (or 9.1) or Microsoft, as far as USB goes. I can't speak for 8.6 though. Who knows? It was almost too much of a flashback to be running OS 7.6 for a few days on an LCIII.....Damn, that seemed snappy. Boots WAY faster than my 9600. But once they are both up and running, well, you know.

jorge
06-11-2001, 07:20 PM
USB Overdrive can control keyboards as well. Remove the Micro$oft stuff and try it out.

Sorry, I should had been more specific.

j

the_anarch
06-11-2001, 10:40 PM
This just keeps getting weirder and weirder. I was unable to get anything to happen by either removing the USB OverDrive control panel or the IntelliType extension and control panel. Either way, I was met with unexpected hangs. Actually, I would call them "interruptions in service", because I would be doing something, minding my own business, and suddenly would find out the computer was not responding to the mouse. If I used force-quit, the dialog box would come up with no buttons. I had to reboot.

This was happening in other applications as well as Eudora. Finally I unplugged the USB equipment and removed the USB OverDrive and Intellitype extensions both. This effectively brought the state of my Mac to back before I had installed the keyboard.

I still had the problems. I had three hangs in about thirty minutes.

As a last-ditch thing, I am currently running my machine on USB only. I have totally unplugged all ADB equipment. I could live with that except for not being able to click "OK" whenever DFA runs on boot after a crash, making my restart even longer, and for the fact that my drawing tablet is ADB and I just figured out what the hell was wrong with THAT thing last week (had to update drivers, again).

So far so good, although all I've done is type this message. I'm gonna go do other things now. I'll check back in tomorrow. Jorge, I checked my copy of USB OverDrive and it makes no provision for keyboards. Maybe I need to download the latest version? Or is there a command somewhere to "add" a keyboard to the setup?

Dogstarman
06-12-2001, 12:06 AM
Not sure about USB keyboards, but with ADB items, you can hit "Esc" to abort a DFA check upon startup (after a crash) and the "Enter" key will effectively OK the thing when it is done.

USB Overdrive is up to 1.3.7 and is here:
http://www.usboverdrive.com/

Maybe try moving the USB card slot-to-slot? Where is it now?

magician
06-12-2001, 04:47 AM
we're running MS keyboards here (both Natural and Internet versions) with their downloadable software....pretty sure it's still 1.0.

yup. 1.0.

also running USB OVerDrive 1.3.7 to handle MS mice.

they work just fine together.

we're running OS9.1 and 9.04, though.

the_anarch
06-12-2001, 09:40 AM
Got another hang in Internet Explorer not long after I posted my last reply last night. Again, that was under an all-USB set-up, no ADB devices attached. I decided to just shut her down for the night.

I am thinking (and hoping) that somehow I just florfed my System Folder, and that what I really need to do is start over with a freshly-initialized drive and rebuild from the ground up (especially since I've been having ATI issues and maybe even some CD/DVD SpeedTools ones too). USB was not one of the first things added to my System Folder last time around, so this time it should be.

I don't really want to play the musical-cards game again, though. It took me forever to get a Miles2, a 2940U2B, a Bluenote, an ATI Rage XClaim VR, an XClaim VR 128, and the DualPort to all play nice together. I don't want to switch these things around just for a stupid keyboard.

Dogstarman
06-12-2001, 09:51 AM
Oh, you're working on THAT machine. By all means, no excuses for not card-swapping. I was wondering if it was that nice little fella you were working on. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hee hee...here's a though. You wanna try that partitioning thing and put OS9 on one and 8.6 on the other? Just a passing thought. And I know how nice of a debate the partitioning thing is.

http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/hr.gif
Disclaimer:
THIS IS NOT A PARTITIONING THREAD!!!!!
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/hr.gif

[This message has been edited by Dogstarman (edited 12 June 2001).]

the_anarch
06-12-2001, 03:15 PM
Hey, I got nothing against partitioning. If I can ever get my system REALLY set up the way I want, I'll probably partition my hard drive myself.

If I can't get it to work under OS 8.6, I probably will have to experiment with going to 9. But I REALLLLY don't wanna...

Dogstarman
06-13-2001, 12:00 AM
Life on the edge, my friend......It's a dangerous place. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe someday I will go back to partitioning.....but don't hold your breath.

magician
06-15-2001, 10:21 AM
ok.

it's Friday morning. I've been up all night, I went out for breakfast, ate like a pig, walked my doggie long and hard this morning, gave her a bath, took a shower myself, and now, I am ready to rack out.

let's talk about partitioning.

really.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/magician.gif

[This message has been edited by magician (edited 15 June 2001).]

Dogstarman
06-15-2001, 05:48 PM
Maybe we should avoid stomping on an issue and start a partitioning one. I am all about learning. So here goes....
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000098.html