PDA

View Full Version : Just how important is the fan on an ATI video card, anyway

BMonk
04-10-2001, 08:03 PM
I didn't even know video cards had fans, but after a client kept complaining that their G4 intermittently sounded like a pickup truck painfully climbing a mountainous dirt road, I investigated.

It did sound bad. Like a drive failing.

After eliminating all the drives and system fan as culprits, I discovered the ATI video card has a tiny fan integrated into its heatsink. Most of you probably knew that, but it was news to me until I stuck my finger in it....

The thing was so amazingly loud, and because the machine is being used in a sound studio the noise had to go. So I just disconnected the fan.

Seems to me that

A) at worst, the card burns out.

B) at best, the card lives a long, happy, quiet life.

Since the noise is unacceptable, the card will either be replaced now or later, if it dies. I

t's very cool inside this machine, and I figure the card will last a while yet no matter what. Also, maybe the only reason it comes on inside a cool machine is that its temp sensor is shot (along with its tiny but sonically powerfully bearings).

Thoughts? Can these dumb little heatsink/fans be replaced? Or should I just leave it without fan and see if it fries?

Louie
04-10-2001, 08:19 PM
Search thru Mike Breedeen's site. I vaguely remember when the noisey ATI fan problem surfaced months ago that some new machines had cards with fans and some had no fans. Whatever, Breeden had quite a bit about it.

BMonk
04-12-2001, 11:47 AM
Thanks, Louie. I'll check that out.

magician
04-16-2001, 12:59 AM
that's odd...I've got a few of those boards here, Bill, and none of them are loud like that.

maybe you need to hit that particular fan with some silicon lube?

benkim
06-15-2001, 11:49 AM
perhaps this reply is too late but it has been asked a couple of times after this elsewhere too... ?

ATI chipsets run very cool & you can safely unplug the fan (I have). I believe the Radeon chipset gives off less than 5W and there is a pretty widespread belief (among PC Radeon owners anyway) that the fan is just for show. Can't have the GeForce 2's sport a huge HSF and not the Radeon, right?

Of course, this changes if you are overclocking the Radeon's RAM...

[This message has been edited by benkim (edited 15 June 2001).]