PDA

View Full Version : UPS Failure

jorge
06-07-2001, 12:03 PM
My main rack mount UPS went down today but yet passes all the software tests! It beeped and brought the entire rack down, including my Novell server, FileMaker Server and the Cisco switch!

If the battery fails, then it should return a battery failure light and keep the power running right? That is what has happened with all my other ups. This scared the crap out of me today to see the entire rack power down.

Good thing I wasn't on vacation!

Just a heads up to everyone to keep an eye on the UPS and replace the battery atleast every 5 years.

j

dragon_x
06-07-2001, 03:14 PM
What kind of UPS (brand & model) do you have?

How old is it? 5 YEARs?

jorge
06-07-2001, 07:14 PM
It's a 2200RM (rack mount). There are about 8 batteries in this sucker and it takes 5U rack space. Think it weights 150lbs. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

Yea, about 5 years.

j

Dogstarman
06-07-2001, 11:52 PM
All I can say is "That's a weird thing to happen to an APCC unit." And it is. WHen my APCC unit failed....I had a very similar experience to your typical situation. The power kept on but the battery light was on as well. So I replaced the batteries (in my SmartUPS 1400) and placed a lot of faith in the design (I bought 4 more). I have 5 APCC units in my home now....4 guarding computers. I would shoot them an email describing your situation. They do have (which I am sure you know already) a great "Trade-UPS" program. Perhaps something more than the battery died. Depending on the unit, the actual circuitry could be a 7 or so years old. Not really a long time as far as electronics goes...but you never know. I always experienced a UPS working as a surge protector when the battery died. I could ALWAYS count on clean power so long as I had power.

That's the ONE thing I hate about these big UPS units-the damn replacement costs for batteries. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif It's all good so long as the cash outlay is minimal. And with this situation, there's no way to minize the expense or spread it out. you need all 5 (or 8 in your case) batteries at once. Keep us posted. I always like to know what is going on with my power source.

jorge
06-08-2001, 01:03 PM
d,

I have taken advantage of their trade up program. That is how I got two 1400s and one is running my server now. The other is feeding my DP533.

The APC tech had no idea what happend. He wanted to just replace the battery but if the battery died, I should have gotten a failure light and still clean power if we didn't loose electricity which we didn't. (have a power plant 300 yards behind our building, can you say direct electricity?)

Since my company relies on the server, I cannot take any chances and traded this unit for a new one. The replacement model is actually smaller in physical size which adds more space in my case for the OS X Server I want to get in the case.

j

magician
06-09-2001, 02:34 AM
damn, J.

you know what? I strongly suspect they have some sort of circuitry in there.....that forces you to swap out those batteries at the 5-yr point. We have three 1000va units upstairs, all purchased at the same time five years ago.....and guess what? Every single one of those things started beeping and bitching within three weeks of one another. I gave up. We replaced the batteries in all of them.

just consider it a cost of doing business every five years, i guess.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif