PDA

View Full Version : Crazy all-in-one

RustinBills
06-01-2001, 02:18 PM
Hello I have a G3 266 all-in-one revB, 768 MB ram, 466 MHz Newertech ZIF processor installed, 6 MB VRAM, internal SCSI Zip, Keyspan USB adaptor card, 3 60 meg internal IDE hard drives and a Yamaha 8824E cd burner. I think that's all, now for my problem. My IDE bus doesn't work anymore. This started happening after I used, strangely enough one of those "hacker" port flooder or "ping-flooder" programs on my own network at home. One other computer crashed also but it started back up with no problems also my iBook was on the LAN too and this seemed unaffected, finally there was a Cisco 675 router on the LAN also which all was connected by a Netgear 5 port 10/100 switch. I used the "hacker" software on the all-in-one targeted the PC, just to see what would happen to it, and boy was I suprised and regretful. I have tested all of the hard drives, RAM, ROM, ethernet, voltage regulator, power supply, SCSI, and IDE busses. It all works but the IDE. I put a small SCSI hard drive and loaded 9.1 on it and it works fine, but plug something IDE in and it wont boot or it will crash if you turn on a drive after it is booted. Is it possible to replace the IDE controller chip, should I buy an IDE controller card. Motherboards are 350 for exchange and almost nonexistent on ebay or Amazon. I would switch the ROM chip with a revision A logic board but the Rage-Pro would become a Rage II+ and that's what I don't want. Suggestions welcome and appreciated please.S.O.S.,Rustin Bills

------------------
thinkdifferent@uswest.net

kaye
06-01-2001, 08:55 PM
RB,

Maybe too simple, but have you tried clearing both PRAM and NVRAM? From a cold start (not a restart), immediately hold down cmd-opt-p-r and hold them down for at least three startup chimes, then release, and wait for the startup to complete. k

RustinBills
06-02-2001, 02:40 PM
Ive even replaced the battery

Dogstarman
06-02-2001, 06:25 PM
This kinda makes no sense, but stranger things have happened. Have you tried removing the battery and unpluggin the power supply for a while (half hour or more)?

The video chip wouldn't turn into something it's not. But I know you would be limited to 2 IDE devices (one on each bus). And the machine might not like booting the processor with that ROM. I don't know for sure about that.

Have you tried a new IDE cable?

RustinBills
06-03-2001, 08:19 AM
I only ment that I would get the not as good ATI chip if I swapped my stuff with a rev A board... (my fathers), and my machine does have master and slave on EACH ide channel I had 3 hard drives and a burner installed and I fit it all in the case, believe it or not it fit!!! I have an AIO that came with the rev B board that has the Rage Pro and also has master and slaves... I'm have a Lan degree, an electronics degree and Ive had a Mac since 1985 (Mac +) so I am well aware of the most obvious solutions. Yes I opened the case and power supply and tested all of the power circutry... Its fine. I put a small SCSI hard drive in with 9.1 on it and it boots and I can surf the net like normal.. just IDE is AWOL.

------------------

kaye
06-03-2001, 10:04 AM
My knowledge of IDE is zero, but have you tried disconnecting the hard drives and just running the burner? Then, if no help, disconnect the burner and start connecting the drives, one at a time? If you can't get any one device to work properly, then I guess it's time for an IDE controller card to see what happens. k