PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD SpeedTools headache

funicular
04-14-2001, 12:08 PM
I’m having a problem with the CD/DVD SpeedTools 5.7 control panel. When it’s installed the screen invariably freezes up. Every time. Usually within minutes of start up. And it’s always the same: The pointer moves but but nothing responds when clicked, (I can’t recall ever seeing that before), and I’m always in the Finder when it happens.

The best response I’ve found is to do a force quit, which produces the usual dialog box, sans any buttons, and then jump into Macsbug from which I can reboot.

When I disable the CD/DVD ST control panel everything is fine, you can’t knock this baby off its feet. So I’ve picked through the inits and thrown out the old drivers, anything with CD in it’s name, checked the Intech tech support pages and downloaded a fresh copy of SpeedTools. and even read the Read Me. TechToolPro 3.03 says everything’s OK. (I don’t have Norton or Conflict Catcher). I’ve rebuilt the desktop, zapped the PRAM, done a clean system install.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. The problem is so immediate and consistent I have to think it’s something obvious.

It’s a PTP 225
352MB RAM
OS 9.0.4
Yamaha CRW8424SZ (CD-RW)
Matshita CD-ROM CR-508 (Original Drive)
ATI Radeon
XLR8 DualPort USB

Louie
04-14-2001, 11:25 PM
It works fine in my PTP. Did you disable the Apple CD/DVD driver and Toast Reader? Does SpeedTools load two drivers that appear at the bottom of the screen on startup; one for CD player and one for the burner?

That Matshita can't be terminated because of no TE pins. Is it terminated be another drive downstream?

funicular
04-15-2001, 07:58 AM
Hey Louie. Thanks for the reply.

Yeh I spent some time searching old forums without finding any similar instances of this little problem. Yes the Toast inits are disabled and everything else in the System folder with CD or DVD in its name is trashed. And yes two drivers load at startup when the Control Panel is installed.

About the Matshita (ID 2) it is at the end of the SCSI cable and as far as I can remember always has been. I know its been that way at least since I installed the Yamaha (ID 3) about eight months ago.

Now since my last post I have installed the new XLR8 G3 500MHz. On the first startup the Control Panel was installed because I had used it previously to install the XLR8 MACh Speed Control.

I should back track here to say that I could sometimes get things to work with the Intech CD Driver, after one or two trys, long enough to grab something off a CD, after which I would have to disable it again.

So on this first startup with the new processor everything worked great and I fooled around and did all kinds of stuff, put it through its paces, no problems at all, and I thought I’d found the cure. Maybe pushing the CUDA did it I thought. (What does CUDA stand for anyway?) But then I shut down for awhile and later started up again and immediately it froze up in that characteristic way. So I disabled it, spent a couple of hours playing around, and shut down for the night. This morning I thought I’d give it another try so I started up with the Control Panel, played a CD Pinball game on the Yamaha drive, then went online and checked this forum, started typing my reply, opened the Apple System Profiler and found that the Yamaha had disappeared! Peripheral View same thing. No Yamaha. And then I find that the drawer won’t open. But the little LED is on. And it changes from yellow to green when I press the button. I remember that this happened once before awhile back (when I still had the old FWB CD driver), so I restarted and (again with the CD/DVD SpeedTools Control Panel installed), and now I’ve typed all this and done other stuff and everything is all A-OK, the Yamaha is back, everything is fine,

Damn! It just did it again! Took it awhile thoug

And again! Only ran for about a minute that last time. I was in ClarisWorks when it froze. Time before that I was in Internet Explorer. This startup I¬íve disabled the Control Panel. Could it be temperature? Speed Control says 32¬? C. My sense is that the thing with the Yamaha is a separate problem.

I give up.

Ton
04-15-2001, 10:42 AM
Do you have the Disc Burner stuff (extension) from Apple installed by any chance?
It can give problems with other CD drivers.

[This message has been edited by Ton (edited 15 April 2001).]

funicular
04-15-2001, 11:03 AM
Thanks Ton. No don't see anything in the System folders like that. My only burning software is Toast and its disabled.

Louie
04-15-2001, 01:40 PM
You are suffering from SCSI Voodoo!

The Matsushita CR-508 is a 24 X Apple-ROMed CD player and was not the original CD player installed in your machine by Power CC. They were only used in the Apple Mach 5 86/9600's. Apple pulled their P/N stickers and sold off a bunch of them as surplus. It has a termination power pinset but no termination pinset. Since it can't be terminated, it must not be put at the end of the SCSI chain.

Are the CD player and CD burner the only devices on their bus and is this Bus 0, the 10 MB/sec internal bus? If so, here's how that bus and the devices must be set up:

The Yamaha burner should be ID=1 (jumper on pinset 1), parity off (remove jumper), Termination On (jumper on) and block size off (jumper off).

The Matsushita should be set to ID=3 (jumpers on pins 0 and 1), Parity (no jumper), all other pinsets (no jumpers).

If you have cable congestion, it may be easier to put the burner in the top slot and the player just below it.

There is one other possible problem that you should check. PTP's that came from the factory with NEC players had a wire cut from the SCSI cable between the last two connectors and a sticker saying " connect only to the CD player". If your cable is cut, you need a new one.

funicular
04-19-2001, 06:57 PM
Thank you for the excellent advice Louie. I've been working some long hours lately but I'm going to make time this weekend to make the changes you suggest. At the same time I'll be installing a Miles 2 and a X15 Cheetah and if the Gods of SCSI are with me I will undo this voodoo.

Louie
04-20-2001, 07:27 PM
Get all issues like this CD SCSI thing fixed before the upgrades.

funicular
04-21-2001, 08:20 PM
Ach! Too late. I already did it all. But everything seems to be running all right! Mostly.

When I got inside the box I found that the Matshita had in addition to the 3 ID pins, 4 others: Parity, Sector Size, Terminator, and Term Power. If I remember correctly there was a jumper on the Terminator pins. But no matter, I followed your instructions exactly putting the Yamaha at the end of the chain. There were no cuts in the SCSI cable. Oh and yes this is the internal 10MB/S bus, Bus 0, and no, there is also a zip drive on the bus.

Stuck the Miles U2W in $A1, mounted the X15 in a Bay-Cool III from PC Power & Cooling, (room for 1 or 2 more when I can afford it), left all the settings on the drive at their defaults, crammed all the wires and cables and stuff back in and fired it up. I initialized the X15 with SoftRaid 2.2.2 and rebooted with the CD/DVD SpeedTools 5.7 cdev installed. Installed OS 9 from the CD on the new drive and followed with the 9.04 update remembering to cancel the Apple driver option. And so far so good! I’ve been fooling around all day filling up my new drive with stuff, and while I have had a couple of crashes they seemed random in nature, not like before, (I remember onetime Macsbug saying something about an exception from “the bowels of the Memory Manager”), all in all things feel pretty stable now!

Interestingly, the only way I can get it to boot off of the new Seagate is to hold down cmd-opt-shift-delete. Looking at them, both the System on the old IBM drive and the one on the X15 seem to be blessed, the new volume is highlighted in the Startup Disk control panel, and I’ve zapped the PRAM (using TechTool 3.0.3). But unless I hold down that key combo it insists on using the old drive’s System. Which is OK I guess. Gives me the choice on startup but still... I’ve been reading some postings from others with a similar problem but I haven’t found an answer yet. I’ve looked for that System Picker hack without any luck. Apple seems to have pulled it off of their ftp site. I’m tempted to press the CUDA button. What do you think?

Another wrinkle: the Apple System Profiler says that the driver version for both the IBM and the Seagate is 4.0.1 (FWB!). But I know I initialized the X15 with SoftRaid 2.2.2. The IBM is still using FWB for now. And then under Startup device ASP names the old IBM volume even when I know I’m running the System on the new Seagate.

Anyway to recap:
BUS 0
ID 0: IBM drive
ID1: Yamaha
ID3: Matshita
ID5: Iomega
Bus 2:
ID 0: Seagate, revision no: 0003
MilesU2W firmware version 1.05

I’ve got a couple more questions but I’ll save them for the another post. Tomarrow I’ll reinitialize the old IBM. I don’t know how I got along for so long without you all here. Thanks again http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Louie
04-22-2001, 12:23 AM
You should never assume that any device is set properly from the factory. Even if it is proberly set to "default", the default may not be right for your machine. (many defaults are for PeeCee's). The X15 default for termination power (pin 1, far right) is wrong for a Mac. Remove the jumper, which will set it for termination power FROM the SCSI bus. This should help.

It sounds like you have run into a SoftRAID/Miles 2/9.04 bug which keeps the Startup Disk CP from doing it's job. Go here ftp://ftp.macgurus.com//ftp/apple_stuff/ and download System Picker. Use it to choose startup disks. The bug goes away with 9.1.

You should also update the Miles 2 firmware to 1.06b. Do that with the cable disconnected from the card.

I didn't know you had a Zip on bus 0. If the Yamaha is at the end and terminated, make sure the Zip is not terminated.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 22 April 2001).]

funicular
04-22-2001, 10:47 AM
Oh boy now I am getting confused. You’re talking about the J2 pin set right? The default on my X15 drive for Pins 1 & 2 is NO jumper: “Host adapter or other device provides terminator power to external terminator.” “...The default configuration results in the drive not supplying termination power to the bus. You should normally leave this drive set at this default unless your host system requires the drive to supply termination power to the bus.” So I’m guessing I should leave things alone.

Got that System Picker. I’d forgotten about the Guru’s ftp site. Lot’s of good stuff there. I grabbed MacBench while I was at it. Funny thing though, the Picker shows the NON-active system OS as 1.0. I noticed that others have had the same thing happen on their machines.

Are there any issues with OS 9.1? Seems like I’ve read about some problems with it somewhere. Is the Miles2 beta firmware 1.06b needed with 9.04?

Had a bit of a scare this morning. I decided that maybe the TechTool PRAM zap yesterday wasn’t good enough and that maybe what this thing needed was a good old cold start cmd-opt-p-r. Hadn’t done that in ages. So I hold down the keys but I only hear one chime...keep holding...nothing. So I let up. And nothing. I hear the drives spinning but all I’ve got is a black screen. I finally hit the restart button and get...nothing. I see the usual RGB test, then something about Energy Saver flashes, then nothing. Tried every key combo I could think of and made up a few of my own. Nothing. Just this very black hole where my life should be. Finally I shut down and pulled the Radeon card and put the good old TwinTurbo back in and wow, it lit right up. So I played with it for awhile until I started feeling brave again, then shut down and put the Radeon back in. And it started up just like always. No problem. Everything's fine again. I guess the moral of the story is let TechTool take care of the PRAM zapping. Anyway, it had me going there for awhile.

My next step is to reinitialize the old IBM. If you don’t hear from me send out a search party.

[This message has been edited by Funicular (edited 22 April 2001).]

Louie
04-22-2001, 01:41 PM
If you have it set for "termination power FROM the SCSI bus", you are OK. I think their defaults used to be different.

I've used firmware 1.06b all along. However, I think it was released to solve a problem with X15's having firmware 0002 like mine. Your dive has firmware 0003, so maybe you are OK. Kaye will know for sure.

Is System Picker helping?

I'm just barely into 9.1. I started to mess with it last week.

Magician and others have had bad problems with Radeon. I'm still using Orion.

kaye
04-22-2001, 03:56 PM
X15 firmware 0003 is OK with Miles2 firmware 1.05 and SoftRAID 2.2.2 or 2.2.1. k

funicular
04-22-2001, 09:04 PM
Whew! Long day here. But I think I've got everything squared away. Having a little trouble with System Picker. When I use it I get a freeze when I press the restart button so for now I'll just keep doing the keyboard combo thing. Otherwise it all seems stable. I was a little concerned about the sounds eminating from the X15, the two clicks every 60 sec even when nothing's happening, and when it's jamming it's like a can full rocks, and then when it wakes up from a sleep it's like they forgot to oil it. But I guess it's OK. I'm getting used to it. No sign anymore of that problem with the CD SpeedTools cdev. The G3 runs between 32¬? and 36¬? which seems a little warm to me. I seem to remember kaye saying that his runs in the twentys. I've got 6 fans running in there now, (7 if you count the one on the Radeon)

So all is well. A thousand thanks Louie for holding my hand through all this. I'm real happy with the way everything turned out.

Louie
04-22-2001, 09:48 PM
With System Picker, you need to wait for all little folders to finish hunting before you hit "Restart".

Your temp is cool. Mine stays in the 40's.

The Cheetah should not be making the noises you describe. Talk to Magician about a swap.

magician
04-23-2001, 02:03 AM
I agree. I have X15's inches away from my head, and they are pretty quiet. I hear a little chirping when they are writing, but it's certainly not like a can of rocks.

We can do an advance exchange for you, if you like. Simply email deb@macgurus.com and ask her to set it up for you. She'll make it happen so your downtime is nil.

funicular
04-24-2001, 04:47 PM
Well, maybe I was hyperbolizing a bit there with my description of the sounds from the drive. As I said everything seems to be running alright. This is only my second computer so it’s hard for me to know what’s normal. But now you’ve got me worried...and that noise when it wakes up from sleep mode is rather alarming. I was planning to do a RAID 0 down the line anyway so I think I’ll just have you send out another X15 which I’ll install , and then if there’s a big difference between them I’ll know something’s wrong and I’ll return this one.

magician
04-25-2001, 04:05 AM
that's a good plan.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

funicular
05-06-2001, 06:31 PM
Just thought I'd post an update: Everything’s has been running alright until I ran Tech Tool Pro 3.0.3 today. It came up with a whole load of problems. I've never seen so much stuff in the 4 or 5 years that I've been using it. Beaucoup file corruption and file structure problems, and worst of all, volume structure problems. Everything fixable but that last. Several of the nodes in the Catalog B-Tree are out of whack. TTP says they’re not repairable. Says at the least I gotta reinitialize. Then it goes on: “your drive may have a serious mechanical or electrical problem...A qualified drive technician could also help...” Yikes! And then Disk First Aid disowns the drive: all it says is “Not an HFS volume”. I don’t have Norton or DW.

But everything's seems to be OK. I’m on it right now and you wouldn’t know there was anything wrong by the way its working. My friend here says that that's what I get for fixing something that ain’t broke. I hope to get a replacement drive in the next few days and then I’ll move everything over and go to work on this one. In the mean time I’m backing up everything and burning offerings in the BBQ.

MacMikester
05-06-2001, 06:54 PM
Hey Fun,

My favorite line from my favorite Samuel L. Jackson movie: "When you absolutely, positively gotta kill every mo__erfu__er in the room.....AK-47! Accept no substitutes!" You need DiskWarrior.

Louie
05-08-2001, 08:20 PM
I thought you ordered a second drive two weeks ago.

funicular
05-09-2001, 01:07 AM
They're back ordered Louie. Could be another week before I get it.

Meanwhile Mikester I tried your combative approach. Downloaded a copy of DW 2.1 and put it to work and it seemed to be fixing a lot of things until it got to step 9 where I got a dialog saying that a "disk malfunction occurred while writing the replacement directory to the disk". I hit OK and it crashes. Repeated tries produce the same result. Same thing with TechTool: it builds a new directory but hangs when I push the go button.

But it continues to run like nothing's wrong. More voodoo.

Michael
05-09-2001, 11:35 AM
if your drive is seriously corrupted, then there is nothing you can do but reinitialize. actually, i know audio/video guys that basically reinitialize their working drives between every project. that way they always start with a fresh disk.
repeated crashes will muck up your directory...catalog tree.
i wouldn't put an enormous amount of stock into what tech tool says. depending on who you talk to, it's either the greatest thing since VCRs or not worth installing. i just use it to rebuild my desktops. it does that well.
Norton Disk doctor and Disk warrior are the standards used by almost everyone. they work as maintenace tools and sometimes as last resorts...
M

MacMikester
05-10-2001, 12:04 AM
Hey Fun,

Maybe you developed a bad block somewhere in the directory partitions. A low level format should take care of that. I do think DW was your best shot at fixing it if it could have fixed by any utility.

funicular
05-10-2001, 01:56 AM
I thank you both for your good advice. The new drive came today and I've got it installed and running. I'll reinitialize the old X15 tomarrow. I used to use NDD but I guess I heard some negative things about it so I left it behind when I upgraded the OS.

magician
05-12-2001, 02:47 AM
MM, my favorite Sam Jackson line is from Pulp Fiction, when he tells the robber in the diner to pull his wallet out of the bag.

"which one is it?"

"the one that says 'bad Mother-F*cker" on it."

and sure enough, there is a wallet with that embossed on the leather. I almost pissed myself I was laughing so hard.

come to think of it...that movie has several great Sam Jackson lines.

MacMikester
05-12-2001, 02:34 PM
SJ has been in some great movies but I just couldn't see him cast in "Shaft". He's way way too real and Shaft never was anything more than urban fantasy.

tm311
05-12-2001, 09:05 PM
Pulp Fiction may be the best movie ever made....if not at least its the most enjoyable to watch. every time you see it you catch several new scenes. You gotta love uma and john in the restaurant...hes all wacked on heroin walking through looking for her...and them talking about the 5 dollar shake...but thats not as good as sam eating the guys kahuna burger and drinking his sprite. well guess its time to put the kids to bed and fire up the DVD player....gotta see it again. bruce willis was amazing as well...telling the "watch' story as his girlfriend is wanting blueberry pancakes.....just amazing acting.

funicular
05-13-2001, 01:36 AM
I remember reading about a guy who was inspired to start his own business by Pulp Fiction. It was that part where they shoot that guy in their car and so they have to go to a nearby friend’s house on account of having a dead body in the back seat and all that blood all over everything and so they call in Harvey Keitel (I forget his character’s name) who’s some kind of problem fixer guy and he takes charge of things and gets everything all cleaned up and the boys back on the road...some classic footage there; so anyway this guy’s watching this and says to himself “that’s what I want to be” (the Harvey Keitel character) and so he went ahead and got a truck and had some cards made up and passed them around homicide bureaus and coroners offices and after awhile people started calling and now he’s got his own company where he goes around and cleans up the mess when say someone’s murdered with a shotgun in a motel room, or some old person just dies at home and nobody finds out for about a month. Apparently this is a niche that no one had ever thought to exploit. Think about it. You can’t just call in a maid service. He said it was a little hard at first figuring out how to deal with all this stuff, stains and liquids and smells and all, but now he’s got protective suits and this special vacuum that’ll suck up anything and he said business was good, not much competition, and he had plans to start franchising. Shows to goya.

Just trying to get in on the conversation here.

By the way the whole problem with DW was solved by running it with extensions off. I guess when the percentage of items out of order gets beyond a certain point, and my disks were up around 30%, that’s what you have to do. Then there’s that wrapper System file bug. Perhaps that was a factor? I notice now that the percentage starts to creep up almost immediately so I’ve been running the repair quite often, like at least once every few hours or every session. Tech Tool is returning clean reports again.

geotime
05-13-2001, 09:19 AM
hey Fun
sounds like you have some extension conflicts. Unfortunately, sorting that out can be laborious (unless you can use Conflict Catcher?). Have to backtrack through your recent software upgrades/installs to find the offender[s]. Disk First Aid can fix the system wrapper errors, if you haven't got 'em already.

In honor of the date, my favorite Pulp Fiction line comes earlier in the same scene magician mentioned, where Samuel L (discussing bacon) says:

"...it'd have to be one charmin' mutha-f*ckin' pig..."

Happy Mutha's Day http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

magician
05-14-2001, 04:59 AM
oh, yeah...

His name was Winston...they called him "The Wolf." Not sure if his last name was Wolf, but he was "The Wolf," and he definitely told Jimmy (Tarantino's cameo) to call him Winston.

Fun....WHERE did you read about that guy!?

funicular
05-27-2001, 05:46 AM
Mag: Sorry to be so long getting back to you on this. You've probably lost interest by now. But anyway I actually I heard about the guy, a one Mr Neal Smithers, on an NPR interview. But you all can read about him here http://www.ilovebacon.com/noway/091100.shtml and here http://eastbay.bcentral.com/eastbay/stories/1999/06/28/story8.html and then there’s http://www.thestranger.com/2000-12-28/city4.html.

And for your further enjoyment I dug this one up http://www.moviesounds.com/pulpfict.html

And then if there's any other Pulp Fiction/insomniac/anal/Tarantino junkie types with too much time on there hands left standing out there I offer http://www.combustiblecelluloid.com/pulp.shtml and http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/1996/10/100405.html and http://www.cgjungpage.org/films/jbpulp.html

(What did people do before Copy and Paste?)

[This message has been edited by Funicular (edited 27 May 2001).]

magician
05-28-2001, 03:27 AM
ugh.

think i'll stick to selling upgrades.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

tm311
05-28-2001, 07:37 AM
Now....was the guy who sold John Travolta the"madman"heroin, also played by the same guy who played Jimmy(QT)? Both GREAT characters!!!

[This message has been edited by tm311 (edited 28 May 2001).]

Dogstarman
05-28-2001, 01:55 PM
Nope. Eric Stoltz.

magician
05-28-2001, 05:35 PM
right.

Jimmy was Quentin Tarantino himself.

the dope dealerwas Eric Stolz.

here's a trivia question from hell: who played the gimp?

was Vin Raynes amazingly good, or what?

tm311
05-28-2001, 06:12 PM
No....I'm a LONG ways from being alright.....(when butch asks Marsalis if hes alright)

As for the trivia question...any answer would be have been a guess without the internet. But a hint for those not looking it up....Reindeer Games and Mission to Mars.

Hers a cool link:
http://www.godamongdirectors.com/tarantino/faq/secrets.html

[This message has been edited by tm311 (edited 28 May 2001).]

magician
06-01-2001, 05:02 AM
you're kidding!

HE was the gimp? (Still not looking it up--but you DO mean Gary Sinise, right?)

that article was superb--probably the best yet.

definitely one of the best flicks of all time.

what's QT doing lately? Does he have something in development?

[This message has been edited by magician (edited 01 June 2001).]

tm311
06-01-2001, 05:37 AM
Yes thats who it was, i searched out "who played the gimp in pulp fiction" using "google"(The Macguru's of search engines!!) and not only that pop up, but i also got the 2 cool links about the movie. Which lead me to wonder WHAT was in the briefcase, i just always assummed it was gold bars or gold coins, now i'm not sure. I saw QT the other night on dennis miller, he was not plugging anything.

Just realized i only sent one link last weekend.heres a cool second link that gives the "timeline"..
http://www.godamongdirectors.com/tarantino/faq/sequence.html

[This message has been edited by tm311 (edited 01 June 2001).]

Dogstarman
06-01-2001, 09:51 PM
Sorry to dissappoint guys. But the gimp is played by Stephen Hibbert.

He wrote "It's Pat"....SNL-based, remember? $660,000 worldwide? Not too good for a movie release. 1994. Also wrote for "Boy Meets World" and "Animaniacs".

That last bit I looked up, but I knew it wasn't Sinise. The build is all wrong. So I popped in the DVD and watched chapter 27 (credits) and voila.

Dogstarman
06-01-2001, 09:52 PM
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Hibbert,+Stephen

magician
06-02-2001, 12:32 PM
i can't believe Gary Sinise played that role!

wonder if he puts it on his curriculum vitae?

tm311
06-02-2001, 02:00 PM
I was wrong....bummer. I tried finding the link to where i read it, but i coudn't. I must have seen "gump":0)