PDA

View Full Version : iMac internal modem stuck off hook?

chrismenke
05-16-2001, 04:33 PM
I don't think this one is going to be easy.

My sister called me with an iMac problem from another state. It's kind of like this:

She bought a new phone cable after the old one frayed. Now the modem appears to be stuck in an off the hook state. The phone connected to the line has a weak dialtone, goes into a busy signal, does not play nice with the machine's modem. When connected to the wall only (jack to computer, no phone, with an assortment of phone cords), it appears to maintain an off the hook state, with no dial tone available by the time the startup process has finished.

I walked her through Modem, Remote Access, and TCP/IP. Then we tried the Hardware Test CD (pass), PRAM, cold reset, and the usual array of troubleshooting steps.

The one gaping hole I can see is that her Modem CP doesn't contain iMac Internal 56k, as Apple claims it should.

The machine is a Jan 2001 iMac DV. Has anyone experienced (and more importantly cured) this situation? I am baffled by this one!

[This message has been edited by chrismenke (edited 16 May 2001).]

kaye
05-16-2001, 05:20 PM
Have not seen that. My first inclination is that I'm suspicious of the wall jack or phone line between the jack and the iMac. But, the fact that she cannot choose iMac Internal 56k in the Modem CP selection list makes me think there is something wrong there.

In the Extensions folder, there should be a folder called Modem Scripts with over 130 scripts there, and yes, one of them is called iMac Internal 56k. k

chrismenke
05-16-2001, 06:30 PM
k,

I was inclined to think jack/wiring, but the following is why I'm now leaning toward 'Modem OH'.

Jack to Phone - A OK
Jack to Splitter to Phone - A OK
Jack to Splitter to Phone and Second Cable - A OK
Jack to Splitter to Phone and Second Cable Plugged into iMac Modem port - volume drops on phone's dial tone, and phone goes into 'extension is off hook' routine.

It just looks like the iMac is keeping a circuit open....

Louie
05-16-2001, 11:14 PM
I would try another "new" phone cable.

kaye
05-17-2001, 12:21 PM
I too would just try another or new phone cable. Also, any other phones on the circuit located elsewhere? My memory is fuzzy on this, but there is a Ringer Equivalent (RE). Phone company sends a current limited voltage to house/apartment and older phones can suck more than the phone company will send. Adding another phone/modem could put you over the limit I guess, and that would drag everything down. I have an old phone with a true bell for ringing. Plug it into my line and the whole circuit goes down. Just too much total RE.

Of course, modern phones with electronics draw very little and I have a ton of phones on one line. k

chrismenke
05-17-2001, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys,

I've eliminated phone cables, as she's able to replicate the problem with several (the frayed one was replaced for aesthetic reasons).

Tonight I'll have her move the thing downstairs, and try it on her housemate's line.

Cheers,
Chris

chrismenke
05-21-2001, 04:44 PM
Oh boy...

I guess I figure that the computer has become so ubiquitous that everyone should have a basic understanding. My sister, in the tradition of the cdrom cupholder, had her phone line plugged into her ethernet port.

Arrrrgh

Dogstarman
05-21-2001, 08:10 PM
Giddy up! http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/dance.gif http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have nothing else to say, except "Thanks goodness it wasn't something serious!"

Louie
05-21-2001, 10:46 PM
Well, you'll have to agree that they a shaped alot alike!