PDA

View Full Version : Crashes when saving

greg_w
05-14-2001, 05:56 AM
Gurus,
My problem is this: I am working on a small book project. Merrily working along and decide to Save before printing out comps. Instead of taking a few seconds to be done, I get the spinning clock and nothing. The Mac just sits there. I can't even hear the drive doing anything. (and I usually can)

I force quit, double click on the file, Xpress launches, then hangs on opening the file. Trying to be clever, I restart, copy the file to my second drive and then try. No problem. Thinking that maybe the first one was corrupt, I copy back, overwriting. I try again - another freeze.

The first drive is a Quantum LVD on a Miles2, the second is a narrow Barracuda on the Macs built in bus. I am running OS8.6 on a 7300 (Sonnet G3/400) and using Quark Xpress 4.1 Passport with Suitcase 8.

A related question: Another Designer, trying to help, said never use "Auto-Save" in Xpress (which I always do) and never launch an App by clicking on the file. Rather, launch the app, the open the file. This sounds like superstition to me. Any comments on that as well?

Oh, I should point out, I have no other problems with any other file on the Quantum LVD/Miles combo. That drive is the startup and where all my apps are installed.

Thanks

greg_w
05-14-2001, 07:56 PM
Hi Gurus.

I am hoping that you will have some time to consider my trouble here. Please give it some consideration if you can.
Thanks.

I know there are a lot to get to, personally, I don't know how you do it.

kaye
05-14-2001, 08:30 PM
greg,

I'm sure a number of us have cruised through here. For me the problem is I don't know anything about "Quark Xpress 4.1 Passport with Suitcase 8". I recall seeing some complaints about Suitcase, but nothing you can hang your hat on. Are you using the latest SoftRAID version (2.2.2) and the latest Miles2 firmware (1.06)?

Also, what driver are you using on the Cuda?

It does sound like a problem with Quark writing to the Quantum. Your other Designer, I assume he must have a reason for disliking Auto-Save and for double clicking a Quark file to launch the application. I've never had a problem with that and use that method routinely, but maybe something about Quark?

I would start by trashing the Quark preferences file or files. If that doesn't do it, reinstall Quark. Perhaps something in the save or auto-save is corrupted.

Here are some other possibilities. Perhaps the Quantum needs some routine maintenance such as Disk Warrior, Norton Disk Doctor, Apple's Disk First Aid, and look at the fragmentation with Norton's Speed Disk. Each of these utility applications does some unique things. There is some overlap, but still there are things that each does that are unique and necessary to overall maintenance of the drive.

Once a month I do them in this order: DW, NDD, DFA, NSD, and DW again. k

tm311
05-14-2001, 09:12 PM
Have you searched the "quark" homepage for answers to this question? There are alot of issues with quark and suitcase together...i would think that there may be something in the file that is conflicting with someting on the LVD drive and not the narrow drive. Does this happen to other quark files? Maybe try deleting the pictures or changing fonts and resaving as a different file name? As for your friend suggesting that auto save is a problem....for me its just a nightmare to think that i could make a mistake and before i fixed it, BAM....auto-save. but for this problem i would search out the quark forum, or maybe "google"

MacMikester
05-14-2001, 11:28 PM
Hey greg,

If you've been using this combination of apps together for a while with no problem, it's likely that you have simply encountered a desktop database, disk directory or file structure errror. You need to run the utility apps that kaye mentions and do so on some kind of routine basis.

magician
05-15-2001, 08:35 AM
right.

this is a directory or some other sort of routine disk problem.

pull maintenance.

greg_w
05-15-2001, 10:53 AM
Thanks for getting back to my trouble.
Kaye, both drives were formatted with Apples Drive Setup. Also, I am not using the latest firmware from Initio. I should do that. I think it is time to go to the Alsoft site and get Disk Warrior. (I know, I should already have it...)

TM311-The good thing about Auto Save is that it keeps a backup file running with your changes until you do a hard save. That way if the computer crashes you can restore to the point of the last auto save. I don't know about you, but I can be so engrossed in what I am doing that an hour, or more, can go by without a hard save. Or I will go to print and there will be a hang and then I am stuck.

MacMikester and magician, I am suspecting Directory problems as well. I have not had any problems with this combo previously, and I use them a lot.

I have an old copy of Norton DD etc. I had installed on the Mac some time ago. I had so much trouble with it that I took it all off. The auto scan, checking, crash proofing was a mess. I see from some of the other posts in your forums that this is common. Is it ok to just use it manually instead of installing? I think I have version 5. Is it usable?

Thanks, Greg

Louie
05-15-2001, 05:35 PM
Version 5 is still OK with OS9.x. V 5.03 was the latest free update prior to 6.0, which checks OS X while running from 9.1.

CrashGuard disappeared after v4.xx.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 15 May 2001).]