PDA

View Full Version : PowerTower very loud with cold boot

tm311
05-03-2001, 07:05 PM
I am sitting here listening to my PTP purring like a kitten...i barely hear the HD's and the fans are noticable but not offensive, in other words just the way its supposed to be. However this morning and everytime i shut down and maybe work on the inside for whatever reason....after the computer has been down for a couple hours it starts up like a tank...and it doesn't sound healthy at all, i end up having to do a couple restarts or maybe a shut down and start-up before it settles into its normal routine....is this normal? the idea of buying a a new x15 to replace my 2 year old 10k cheetahs is sounding better all the time.

kaye
05-03-2001, 10:19 PM
This is not normal. You have done the normal drive maintenance with NDD and DFA and DW? Battery more than 2 years old? Have you tried this cold boot with the cover off to see exactly what is making the noise?

From an auto parts store I purchased a stethescope with a long metal tube on the end for tracking down noise. Inexpensive and will work for your situation. It really magnifies the noise when you have that tube on the offender. k

tm311
05-04-2001, 06:13 AM
i shut down last night and rebooted cold this morning ...i would say that without a stethescope i think its coming from the yamaha cd-rw or the plextor40x...which i have been having cd-rom trouble in the past so this makes sense..it is not coming from the cheetahs which to me i a very good thing...if i push up on the bottom of the yamaha(it sits in the second slot down just above my top cheetah, so i can reach my hand under it...if i push on it from the bottom i can affect the noise...almost slowing it down or letting it speed up...this tells me it might be a fan(if there is a fan on an internal cd-rom....i would guess yes...i will trouble shootfurther this weekend.

Louie
05-04-2001, 11:58 AM
I don't think the Yamaha has a fan. If the Yamaha is the noise source, my guess is the drive motor. I've never torn one apart.

kaye
05-04-2001, 04:59 PM
The whole Yamaha box may be torqued. Loosen all the screws holding it in, and maybe it will straighten out. Try again before tightening the screws. k

tm311
05-05-2001, 09:10 PM
i had the noise again a few minutes ago...this was the first time i had it when the computer was already running....i pulled the burner and took the caseing apart..there is a tiny little fan in the back that is making all the noise...i will leave it out for now and see how easy it will be to find a replacemnt...and i am not sure it is user replaceable as the plug seems to be pretty wrapped into the unit itself...i have had it just over a year so i would think warrantee repair is not likely. i am guessing that wd40 is out of the question huh?

tm311
05-06-2001, 09:44 AM
i have found what i believe is a direct replacement fan for this cd-r. it is made by panasonic and is model# udqfb3. Now i just need to find out where to buy it.

Louie
05-06-2001, 12:34 PM
WD 40 might help short term, but evaporates fairly rapidly.

mactheripper
05-11-2001, 01:22 AM
Or Endust... right, Louie?

JUST KIDDING. DO NOT, under any circs, use Endust on your Mac.

Louie
05-11-2001, 10:43 PM
Yeah, End Dust! Somebody did that. Who was it? I didn't have the heart to tell him after the fact. Jeez, I'll bet he has a mess.

magician
05-11-2001, 10:49 PM
take it apart and hit it with carefully applied blasts of silicon lube--Radio Shack has it.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I use WD40 when immolating flying insects: you fire up a bic, direct a stream of WD40 at the nearest flying bug, and a satisfying jet of flame minutely impacts the evolutionary development of the species you just torched.

True, this is not really a buddhist past time....but it sure beats gouging deep furrows into your face after drenched, itchy days in the deep bush. More shit flies in the air in a real jungle than you can believe. I hate insects. Mostly because they WILL inherit the Earth. They've already won. We're just a passing phase in a long history which has already been written.

Louie
05-13-2001, 03:29 PM
My college room mate could turn his farts into a flame thrower the same way you use WD 40. His aim was not so good, though. It was mostly for show.