PDA

View Full Version : I have screwed up

rhunt000
05-03-2001, 10:48 PM
I bought a second Atlas 10KII, since that was the most inexpensive route to building a RAID 0 array and connected it. I used the RAID 0 utility on HD Speedtools to format them. After they were formatted, there didn't appear to be an increase in performance based on the bench testing. So, I ordered SoftRaid and it did not recognize the Disks or something like that and recommended initializing. I began initializing one of the drives (while it is still part of the array with the second hard drive) and though I was getting an hour glass I couldn't hear anything and nothing seemed to be happening. After about 15 min I tried to cancel, but it was not an option. So, gulp, I restarted. Ok Ok, be easy on me. My wife had a baby on Wed and I am short on sleep and patience and sense. After my Beige G3 desktop restarted, the drive that was supposedly intializing is not recognized. Drive setup states there is no disk. DFA doesn't see it. Speedtools says there is a bad sector and can't fix it and maybe low level formatting will help. It spins a bit then "Click, click". SoftRaid says "Map Invalid, please initialize", when I try to initialize it, I get an error. Am I screwed?

tm311
05-03-2001, 10:58 PM
Maybe the first thing to do is get in contact with Softraid...they have amazing tech support thru email....i am pretty sure the guru's are going want to know if you have Disk Warrior.

MacMikester
05-04-2001, 12:07 AM
Hey rh,

What interface type are those drives and how are they connected?

rhunt000
05-04-2001, 12:15 AM
Ok, everything is cool. I had stopped SoftRaid in the middle of a full initialization and I kept trying to do a quick init. after the restart. When I finally tried the full init. again and let it do its thing, everything came out ok. Sorry for the trouble.

magician
05-05-2001, 04:02 AM
I bet that full initialize took a long, long time.....

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

rhunt000
05-07-2001, 02:03 PM
Yes, it did!! I went to bed right after it started and couldn't sleep. I went to check on it about 30 mins later and everything was OK. I slept well.