PDA

View Full Version : MOV/MP3 Playback Probs from Drive

Moshdaddy
04-04-2001, 12:55 AM
I have a 9 gig Seagate Barracuda with a ton of MP3 and MOV's. The problem is when I play them qith the QT player/Macast/iTunes anything - they "skip". My other drives play these files fine. I have Disk Doctored the drive. I have Speed Disked it. I have Disk Warriored it. To no avail. Any suggestions? The relevant stats on my system are below. (A little overboard on detail but might as well...)

Thanks ahead of time for your help

Moshdaddy

8500/120
CPU: NewerTech G3/300 (with screen artifact probs)
RAM: 152 Megs
Location Size Memory type
B4 8 MB DIMM
A4 32 MB DIMM
B3 16 MB DIMM
A3 16 MB DIMM
B2 16 MB DIMM
A2 16 MB DIMM
B1 16 MB DIMM
A1 32 MB DIMM
Backside L2 cache: 1 MB
Drives:
I have a internal 2 gig Seagate Baracuda with 2 partions one with 9.04
On my Adaptec SCSI card 2940 internal I have a internal 9 gig Seagate Baracuda.
On my Adaptec SCSI external I have an old 8 gig array from Micronet SoftRaided
PCI:
I have 2840 SCSI card running off first PCI slot

Peripherals:
I have a scanner, zip and jaz drive running off the built in SCSI
And the coup de gras: I run a Commodore 64 Video Montitor 1702 as my second monitor off the RCA out. (Top that ancient piece of gear!!) I loaded up the VRAM when I bought the thing and can run my apple 17inch and Commodore at Millions res.

Louie
04-04-2001, 12:00 PM
Is there just one 2940 card? If so, does it have only the 9 GB Barracuda on the internal connector? And, it also has some old array on the external connector?

Does the card have the proper firmware and is set correctly to provide termination, etc?

Have you tried the Barracuda with the array removed? What model Barracuda is it; how is it jumpered and what transfer rates does it get?

Why don't you have your RAM interleaved?

Moshdaddy
04-10-2001, 12:14 AM
There is just one 2940UW card. The 9 gig that has probs is internal the array is external.

The card has the proper firmware upgrade and I think the termination is set correctly...(more directions on the correct way would be helpful.)

Tried the Barracuda off the array. Same Probs.

The SEAGATE Product ID is ST39173W does that tell you the model? I don't know how it is jumpered and I don't know quite how to get the transfer rates. Any help on this would be great!

On the RAM, I am embarrassed to say that by the time I figured it was not interleaved I had the case back on and I just couldn't bring myself to deal with the 8500's BS RAM slots that are so f****ing difficult to get too.

Let me know what I should do next...

magician
04-10-2001, 08:51 PM
Mosh, dig that on the memory....and the 8500. We used to have one here we called B*tch. That was its name on the network.

anyway....if the Cuda is the only drive running internally on the 2940UW card, then all you need to do is ensure that a jumper is on the TE pins to terminate it and that TP term power is jumpered to draw power FROM the bus.

in the Adaptec control panel, make sure you set everything to defaults. One way to see if the board or firmware is involved is to type a command-t in the Adaptec utility, and play around with the PCI interrupts, slowing down the sync rates.

what utility did you use to initialize?

what cable are you using?

Louie
04-10-2001, 08:52 PM
That ST39173W is a rather old Barracuda which is a Fast 20; meaning, at best, transfer rates somewhat below 20 MB/s.

If it is the sole device on that internal bus; it should be jumpered as follows:

Pinsets J6 No jumpers (ID=0)
Pinsets J2 Jumper on TE (termination); no jumpers on DS, ME, WP, PD, or RES; put a jumper horizontally across the lower pins of pinsets TP1 and TP2 termination power from the SCSI bus).

The Adaptec card should be set for automatic termination and a 20 synch rate.

Leave the external box off for now; that could be another problem.

Go here ftp://ftp.macgurus.com//ftp/atto_stuff/ and download Express Pro-Tools 2.5. Use it to benchmark your drives. Set it for 8 MB.

I have no experience with Wide drives and Adaptec cards, but after we know everything is setup properly and you still have the sound problem, it may be necessary to turn down the synch rate (card with HD).

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 10 April 2001).]

Moshdaddy
04-11-2001, 11:19 PM
Weirdness. I did the benchmark with the Atto tool and had to install their driver to do it. Restarted. Was getting just under 15megs read and write. Sound files started to play no problem, but the mov's still skip a bit - 44k/sec datarate on those. Voodoo eh?

I am all for diving into the jumper set up - but have never done so. Any schematics you can refer me to so I know I am not f****ing up?

Cable is from micronet. The Adaptec control panel is on the default. That comman T thing didn't work.

Thanx for not reaming me for the Ram issues. I really hate the box design on this puppy. Here's to getting that new job, with bigger $$'s so I can get a G4 and OSX this June. Woo Woo!!

Louie
04-11-2001, 11:44 PM
See http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st39173w.html . Use my settings NOT Seagate's default. They are for a PeeCee.

You don't need the ATTO extension to run a benchmark.

What's Command T?

Try setting the card for 20 or 13.3 if possible.

Moshdaddy
04-12-2001, 01:02 AM
Louie,

The device is running at 20mhz with read/writes just below 15. Dropped it down to 5mhz. Problem gone. Read/Writes down a little below 10. Upped it to 10mhz. Read/writes now back to level it was at 20mhz, except problem is gone!? I guess this will work for now - need to test this with the array hooked up.

If this does solve it....what was the deal? I don't quite understand.

Thanks for the hook up on the schematic.

Just for clarification:
I installed the Atto driver on the drive not the extension
Magician said to try the Command - T in the adaptec

Best and thanks very much!!!

Mosh-

[This message has been edited by Moshdaddy (edited 12 April 2001).]

Louie
04-12-2001, 08:21 PM
If you can set 13.3 MHz on that card, that is optimum. It's a memory timing issue. The old machine can't move memory fast enough with the fast G3 processor. Do you have 70 ns RAM? All 60 ns RAM and interleaving may help.

Moshdaddy
04-14-2001, 03:20 PM
My only choice is 10mhz and 20mhz with the PowerDomain Control that is used for this card. Is there another utility that can do this?

I don't think I have all 60ns RAM. Nut will have to address that when I have some more $$.

Thanks for everything guys!!!!

Louie
04-14-2001, 11:17 PM
I think you are stuck with Power Domain. I've never had but one Adaptec card, a 2930BU (Power CC only). It had many intermediate synch speed settings.

You're welcome!

magician
04-15-2001, 11:45 PM
sorry.

typing a command-t in the PowerDomain control used to open up a dialog box that enabled you to mess around with PCI interrupts.