PDA

View Full Version : New G4, 9.1 "forgets" general controls

TeeH
03-28-2001, 04:49 PM
Hey -

OK, so maybe I'm just missing something obvious here, but this is strange, and only happens on this one machine...

It's a new 533mhz G4, 40g Apple boot drive and a 60g IDE IBM DeskStar as slave. The machine runs great overall, but every time I start up, the General Controls revert to default settings.

I prefer to have the desktop hidden when in other apps, and I can get in and set it that way, and it works fine. But after a shut down and re-start the next day, it always comes up without the desktop hidden. I have to go reset things again every time.

What a pain! Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

T

Louie
03-28-2001, 05:48 PM
It could be a firmware problem with the new machines. Have you tried trashing the General Controls Preferences file?

TeeH
03-28-2001, 06:25 PM
Louie -

I'll give that a shot, and report back.

T

TeeH
03-29-2001, 02:01 PM
Louie -

No luck w/ trashing the prefs file - still starts up with defaults.
Any other thoughts?

T

magician
03-29-2001, 08:29 PM
make certain that you have only one System folder on the machine....if you have one on one drive, and then dragged it onto the other drive, the machine may be confused, and may be writing to a prefs file on the wrong drive.

it shouldn't happen, but I just witnessed it with Exploder prefs the other day.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Louie
03-29-2001, 09:06 PM
That's a distinct possibility. Note the modification date and time of the General Controls Preferences file. Then, make your changes in the CP and see if the mod date and time changes in the Pref Folder.

TeeH
03-29-2001, 11:04 PM
Gurus -

I'll check that out. I do have an external FW backup drive on the system...

If this turns out to be the case, any thoughts on how to avoid it? I have a similar setup on another system, no problems (although it's still running 9.04, if that matters)

T

Louie
03-29-2001, 11:10 PM
If you find that to be the case, you can trash the General Controls CP and the Preference File. Use Tome Viewer to extract a new GC CP from the OS CD, drag it to the CP Folder, restart, open the new CP and it will make its own new Preference File.

TeeH
03-30-2001, 12:32 PM
Gurus -

Excellent suggestions all, but unfortunately, still not the solution. The prefs file being updated is on the startup disk, not the backup.

Think I should trash the CP and prefs and re-install on the startup disk anyway? BTW, where do I find Tome Viewer (never used it, Sherlock doesn't find it on the HD - is it in the CD?)

Thanks!

T

Michael
03-30-2001, 01:00 PM
get it off of versiontracker.com or email me and i'll send it to you. (about 700k)
M

Louie
03-30-2001, 04:53 PM
Tome Viewer is on our FTP site.

Give it a try. However, it may take more than that; maybe a reinstall of the OS.

TeeH
03-30-2001, 07:25 PM
Thanks L, M -

I got Tome Viewer, will give the CP re-inst a try. Keeping my fingers crossed (much fear and loathing at the thought of a possible OS re-install... http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

T

[This message has been edited by TeeH (edited 30 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by TeeH (edited 30 March 2001).]

Chucko
04-02-2001, 09:19 PM
Hey TeeH, by any chance do you have the Multiple Users control panel and extension disabled? That would cause your problem.

You have to have both the CP and extension active, but you can turn off the multiple users functionality in the control panel.

I bashed my head against the wall on this for a while, then *after* figuring it out found out it was already documented at MacFixit!

Louie
04-03-2001, 12:50 AM
Now there's a good thought. You can't disable those damned security things. He may have done himself in already.

TeeH
04-04-2001, 06:29 PM
Chucko -

I've been away, just got your post, and am going to go try that right now! I do indeed have the extension & CP for multiple users turned off.

Thanks for the tip - I'll report back...

T

TeeH
04-04-2001, 06:54 PM
YEAH!!! Problem solved! http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/dance.gif

Yet another example of why the Gurus (and their faithful) RAWK!

Thanks to all

T

Louie
04-04-2001, 08:08 PM
Great! Way to go, Chucko!