PDA

View Full Version : Bad GD cable?

ChrisYip
03-19-2001, 06:57 PM
Hi all

Any ideas on the following? (also sent this to support@macgurus.com)...
Here's the configuration

Miles2 card -> GD9861 (cable 1) -> Ecrix VXA-1-> GD 2015 terminator - this works fine -

Build up a 2 x VXA-1 drive array in a MAP5041 case - Now here's the scenario...

Miles2 -> Cable 1 -> 2 x VXA drives -> Cable 2 -> Ecrix VXA-1 - GD2015 <- no boot - it sits at the grey screen

Miles2 -> Cable 1 -> 2 x VXA drives -> Cable 2 -> Ecrix VXA-1 (turned off) - GD2015 <- no boot - it sits at the grey screen

Miles2 -> Cable 1 -> 2 x VXA drives -> GD2015 <- boot

Miles2 -> Cable 2 -> 2 x VXA drives -> GD2015 <- no boot

Miles2 -> Cable 2 -> Ecrix VXA-1 -> GD2015 <- no boot

Note in all cases, the LED on the cable housing and the Term light on the GD 2015 are on.

The SCSI address don't conflict

Also on the Miles2 -> 2 hard drives including boot drive

What I'd like to have set up is the following

Miles2
-> internal 2 hard drive RAID
-> external -> 2 internal Ecrix VXA-1 drives in 4 bay MAP5041 -> 1 external Ecrix VXA drive.

Seems to me that the new cable - Cable 2 - is bad.

Does this make sense?

Chris

kaye
03-19-2001, 09:09 PM
Well, it makes sense to me Chris, after looking at it for awhile. And yes, I agree that it looks to be a problem with Cable 2. k

magician
03-20-2001, 08:06 AM
looks like it has to be the cable. Shoot Deb an email, and she'll get a replacement right out to you.

sorry for the hassle!

ChrisYip
03-20-2001, 10:35 AM
Excellent - thanks...now if I could only figure out WHY PowerPoint corrupts my lecture notes an hour before I have to teach!!!!!!

Chris

Louie
03-20-2001, 02:59 PM
You have to teach, too. That really messes up your life. After two retirements, I taught for 10+ years until my third retirement a little over a year ago. My students had no interest in learning anything.

ChrisYip
03-20-2001, 04:19 PM
Yup...in the fall I have to teach 80 - 90 2nd year engineering students calculus..and I also teach a grad course.. The spring is lighter with just a few guest lectures here and there... on top of all that is the research and admin stuff that the University piles on us (sigh - no life indeed).. but we get lots of cool toys - just took delivery of a neat $250K instrument for my lab - only problem is that all of these toys ship with WinNT boxes.. argh...

I have to add that I'm really impressed with my retrospect machine now that it has those two VXA drives on it and with the replacement cable on its way (Thanks Deb / Mag), I'll be all set w/ the third external one. Quite the mass of external peripherals.

Chris.

magician
03-21-2001, 12:25 AM
you know Chris...the Wintel stuff can be interesting...but Retrospect with VXA's is really a nice solution. Just set it up, make sure it works right, then forget about it.

kind of like older versions of AppleShare IP.

my wife is a teacher now....5th grade. Back when Sergeant Birch was teaching me rifle marksmanship, he employed a useful teaching aid called a bonehead beater. Whenever I missed, or failed to correctly employ the fundamentals of marksmanship, I got smacked upside the head. The bonehead beater was the essence of simplicity. Nothing more than a rolled-up newspaper, wrapped in white surgical tape, with "treat me nice" neatly written along its shaft.

when I recommended a bonehead beater to my wife, she was horrified.

I still can't believe all the legal hoops and bureaucratic hassles she contends with. No way I could ever be a teacher. I was trained by "old school" teachers using less enlightened methodologies, I guess.

everytime I go thru an aiming ritual, though, Sergeant Birch is right there with me.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ChrisYip
03-28-2001, 11:24 AM
Update...

Got the replacement GD cable and ta-da - that was the problem - all is well

Kudos to Mag, and Deb, and all the guys in ABQ / Waypoint who ship out the stuff..

all three VXA drives are there on the bus, Retrospect rocks now and it's great that I don't have to set around swapping tapes...

Now - to figure out how to speed up my network backup..damn - if it's not one thing , it's another.

As for teaching..

Sigh - just was awarded a Faculty Early Career Teaching Award - subtext is ... that now I get to teach 2nd year calculus, 3 rd physical and inorganic chemistry and my grad course on molecular assemblies all at once this fall..

Yikes..

Chris

the_anarch
03-29-2001, 07:16 PM
Ummm... congratulations?

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ChrisYip
03-29-2001, 07:24 PM
Indeed...a tentative pat on the back for that one...Glad I can work on about 4 hrs of sleep a night

Chris

Urinal Puck
03-29-2001, 08:26 PM
magician,

I'm constantly amazed by the crap public school teachers constantly have to go through. I don't know why anyone would do it. Hell, I don't know why I do it. I teach band though, so at least my kids are there because they want to be there. My wife teaches special ed., and she's great at it...I don't know how she does it. I try not to be so cynical about it...really I do. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif I've had a couple opportunities to leave teaching, but wasn't able to pull myself away. So there must be something about it.

But I'm with you. If positive and negative reinforcement can teach pigeons how to play ping-pong, then the bonehead beater can't be all bad!

I think 5th grade is a great age to teach. For the most part all of the kids still want to be good and do well. Your wife must be a saint, though, to do what she does. I wouldn't have the patience...

Urinal Puck

[This message has been edited by Urinal Puck (edited 29 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Urinal Puck (edited 29 March 2001).]