PDA

View Full Version : type 1 errors that make no sense

greg_w
03-18-2001, 08:57 AM
Ok here I am.
I hope that this problem is within the scope of your forums. You all have been a great help with my cd freeze/Atlas/scsi voodoo problem so I immediately thought to come here with the latest trouble. Here goes:

I am suddenly getting type 1 error messages either when I launch certain programs or when I try to select a font. Some programs are fine.

Some history:
I have been having a mysterious font selection problem with Illustrator 9. All the fonts appear in the menu, but some of them just don't work when selected to apply to copy. I was using Suitcase 8, Ill9 was a new install that seemed to be fine, but then this. So I installed Suitcase 9 hoping maybe there was some conflict. (Illustrator 8 was fine) The problem did not change.

Then, rather suddenly, I started to get the error messages.

The bad ones:
Freehand 9
Illustrator9
Photoshop6
Outlook Express5
Quark 4.0.4
Go Live5
Nisus Writer
Corel Wordperfect

The ones that are unaffected:
Corel Draw
Illustrator8
Photoshop 5.0.2
Imageready 3
Freeway 3.2
Word 6
Livemotion
InDesign 1.5

I am running a PPC 7300/180 with Sonnet G3/400, 304 M ram, 4.5g Barracuda, 9g Quantum LVD on the Miles2, XLR8 USB, IXMicro Ult Rez video, MacOS8.6

What gives?
Greg W

greg_w
03-18-2001, 09:02 AM
Oh, by the way, I did install Apple's FontManager 1.0 update for 8.6 when I installed Suitcase 9.

Thanks.
I hope we can solve this one fast because I need those programs to get work done!!
(I am an independant Web/Print Designer/Photographer so this really slows me down!)

Ton
03-18-2001, 11:14 AM
Have you tried removing the fontmenu extension?
It's crap and always has been.
Anyway, I had constantly problems with it, flushed it and went back to Type Reunion 2.52. Never had a Suitcase problem again.

Good luck

Louie
03-18-2001, 07:44 PM
Did you run the font repair utility that came with Apple Font Manager Update for OS 8.6?

kaye
03-18-2001, 10:28 PM
Go here http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60444 for info on the font repair utility Louie is referring to. k

greg_w
03-23-2001, 05:06 PM
Ok,
I did run the font utility and all that. The problem just got awful-system wide. I had been having a lot of cranky behavior anyway lately, so instead of a lengthy troubleshooting session I did a clean install of the OS. All was well and I installed Suitcase 8 with out Menu Fonts and all is well. However, it is nice to see the fonts displayed in the preview window in Suitcase 9. I miss that bit of functionality.

I do a lot of part time work at a studio where I use all the same apps and Suitcase 9 on a G4 running OS 9.0.4. No problem there at all. I assume that there is a differrence attributable to the OS and Hardware.

Ton
03-24-2001, 03:11 AM
Greg,
There are things that will remain mysterious...
As said before I cannot run suitcase with menu font extension on a G3 upgraded PM 9500 OS 9.1 while we have a PCP here also G3 upgraded that does that without a problem...

greg_w
03-27-2001, 10:39 PM
well, go figure. I guess with some things we all just muck our way through it. Thanks for the information, as always.

Greg W