PDA

View Full Version : milesu2w & boot problems

bmaudio
03-20-2001, 11:05 PM
System: Beige 233mhz G3 w/ initio miles U2W Card, System 9.04.2 cheetah lvd's, 2 AtlasIII lvd's.
This just started. occasionally, when booting with just the cheetahs or just the Atlases already powered up, the mac will chime, then stay black. After a few minutes the speaker emits a short metalic wheeze.If I shut down, and turn off the cheetahs, the mac boots fine. When booting with both sets of drives already powered up, The startup always hangs. no error messages. If I boot the mac first, then power up the drives, mount with FWB, everything works fine. techtool finds no problems. I have been using this system for 2 years, this problem started about 2 weeks ago.

any ideas?

Louie
03-20-2001, 11:50 PM
Are these for LVD drives all external? What drivers are you using? and cables and terminator?

bmaudio
03-23-2001, 03:25 PM
2 Cheetah 9gig, 2 Atlas III 18 gig... All External, LVD, 2 dual Bay enclosures. All Granite cables & Terminators.

Louie
03-23-2001, 05:10 PM
Does everything show in the Apple System Profiler and/or SCSI Probe? If not, have you tried flushing the NVRAM? Do a cold start (machine off); hold down the CMD-OPT-P-R keys for at least three chimes, then let it start.

bmaudio
03-24-2001, 12:23 AM
Everything Shows up fine. I have Zapped the pram past 10 chimes

Louie
03-24-2001, 12:27 AM
From a cold start? Did that do it? If not, check all SCSI connections.

MacMikester
03-24-2001, 01:16 AM
Are you updated to SoftRAID 2.2.2 and Miles firmware v.1.6?

magician
03-26-2001, 10:09 AM
when you say "all Granite," do you mean LVD-certified TPO, or Teflon?

and are you also using TPO cabling inside the enclosure?

since things have been working well for a long period of time, I would presume that a driver, somewhere, just got thrashed....or a terminator is ailing. Ensure that your disk drivers are compatible with OS9.04 and 9.1, and update drivers on your drives. I would not be using HDT4, but that is just my opinion.

if that gets you no where, swap your terminator. A strong one may have compensated for PVC internal cabling inside the enclosure in the beginning....but may not be able to force a correct impedence if it is aging poorly. If you have TPO inside the enclosure......who knows? (shrug).

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bmaudio
03-27-2001, 02:54 PM
Yes all granite LVD cabling and terminator from you guys.

You dont like HDT4? I tried switching to ATTO before, It cost me 3 days of hell and 2 gigs (jobs not drives). Infact to recover I had to get the new HDT, reformat everything, including my internals, then use disk setup on the internal, clean install 9.04 and reformatt every other drive. Now Im back and working, but I need to sequentially start my drives. Not a big deal just not elegant or exactly correct.

Bernard