PDA

View Full Version : Add ram to 9500

recoil
03-22-2001, 12:00 AM
Can someone talk me through getting at the ram on this beast?

Michael
03-22-2001, 12:36 AM
by getting at the ram, do you mean removing your side panel and locating the ram? should be pretty straightforward.
1. if one is present, remove the retaining screw in the slot to the left of the large cooling grille on the backpanel.
2.push on the small tabs at the top and bottom of the side panel.
3.slide the side panel away from the back panel and remove entirely.

9500s usually came with 32 or 64 mb of DIMM ram (70ns) in 16 mb modules.it has 12 slots that could hold a max of 768mb of ram. the slots are numdered A:1-6 and B:1-6 in sequential order. the ram modules are interleaved, that is placed as pairs in alternating slots. so the first pair would go into slots (counting from the top of the computer) A-1 and B-1. the next pair would go into slots A-2 and B-2 and so on. the pairs have to be identical in size and preferably manufacture.

to install ram you should remember a few important points:
1.always ground yourself and keep the ram modules away from static. this can be best accomplished by using a wrist strap (very inexpensive) or at the least grounding yourself by touching the metal case around your power supply (where the power plug attaches to your computer) before touching the ram.
2.don't touch the contacts on the ram module. (either the gold or tin pins) always grasp the module by its corners.
3. when installing, place the module at 90 degrees to the socket (they can only go in one way. look carefully to orient them properly) and press down firmly.if correct, the release levers on either end of the socket will engage and lock into place.
4. to release a DIMM module. just push down on the locking lever on either end. this will push the module up and out enabling you to grasp it.

M

recoil
03-22-2001, 12:55 AM
I don't see the retaining screw you mentioned. the only screw I can see that holds the motherboard is at its center. I remove this and it is still very secure, like something is holding it that I cannot see. Is there a screw I am missing?

professor
03-22-2001, 01:09 AM
here are the complete set of instructions i keep,

Here's how you get to the slots using only a phillips head scrwedriver:

1) Unplug the computer. While you're at it, disconnect every cable that connects to the back of your computer...be they SCSI, serial, audio or ADB.

2) Take out the 6 bolts in the back that hold the cover in place and take it off...kind of sliding backwards and up.

3) Go to the left side of the machine (when looking from the front). Down on the bottom is the cooling fan. Squeeze the two sides of the top part of the structure holding it and swing it down towards you. It is still connected to the motherboard via a little bitty cable. Disconnect that cable from the motherboard by gently pulling the end of it towards the front of the machine and off of its pins.

4) Remove the video card and any other cards in the PCI slots. The PCI slots are the 6 off-white (beige?) slots that are right in front of you now. Most cards will just pull right out unless screwed down, in which case you'll need a phillips head screwdriver to undo the screws first.

5) Remove the processor card. It's the card right above the PCI slots...but you probably already know this since you did the G3 upgrade. = )

6) Now it's time to go to the right side of your computer. Right in the middle of the motherboard is a phillips head screw. Remove that.

7) At the top of the motherboard six different cables are connected. Disconnect them all. Don't worry too much about getting them back in the right places. They all pretty much fit only in their correct plugs and only in the right direction.

8) Pop the power button and its little holder out of the front of the case. That's in the lower left hand corner if you're looking at the right side of the machine. There are two clips (one on the top and one on the bottom) that hold it in place and need only be pushed out of their holes to pop it out.

9) Slide the motherboard as far as it can go towards the front of the machine (maybe a quarter of an inch). The only thing holding the motherboard in place now is a clip at the top. Lift the clip and swing the top of the motheboard out and down.

10) You now have access to all 12 of the black memory slots. I've heard all kinda of recommendations about what the best configuration of the RAM is, but I've had the best luck in our machines by just starting at A1 and working my way up.

11) To put it together, just do all of the above in reverse order. ; )

magician
03-22-2001, 08:47 AM
right.

the thing holding the logic board in is the plastic power button on the lower right front corner of the machine.

remove it by pushing on the top and bottom plastic tabs.

be careful!

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

recoil
03-22-2001, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys. I guess you have to exert more force than I expected to get the Motherboard to start sliding out of its position. This really seems like a bad design on Apple's part. The plastic on each side of the PCI slots is also pretty weird. Its really hard to get all my cards inside, and I have broken some of the plastic just trying. So I was afraid of trashing something major by forcing the MB too hard.

professor
03-22-2001, 10:22 PM
that's something i learned a while back myself. if you're having trouble then ask for help before you break it.
this place rocks doesn't it!

recoil
03-22-2001, 10:30 PM
Guess I should have asked ho to get the face plates bezels on the front off too.......What's that?...I think I hear the sound of snapping plastic.....

Louie
03-22-2001, 11:00 PM
RAM should be installed in pairs starting with the highest slot numbers first;
A6/B6, A5/B5, A4/B4.......... See Apple Memory Guide 11/00.

professor
03-23-2001, 10:08 PM
thanks for the reminder louie. and don't worry recoil i'm sure you and i aren't the only ones who have ever snapped one of those little tabs.

mactheripper
03-25-2001, 01:51 AM
Something I didn't see mentioned yet is that you may have to slide the front power button switch hardware out of the way before removing the mobo. If you do not do this, it is easy to break the switch, but this will do nothing to your mobo, it will just make the power button jiggly.

Also, take this opportunity to buy a can of compressed air and blow all the dust rhinoceri out of your 9500. Mine always accumulates mad dust everywhere.

Reading your comment about breaking plastic, it seems to me that you meant the little tabs at the top of the PCI slots. Those things don't matter either, they just keep stuff tight. I have had good luck with using the slot cover being replaced as a surgical clamp to prop them open while I seat the pci card. Or I get Spud my bro to hold the tabs open. That's a lot easier. But we don't all have slave labor at our disposal...

recoil
03-25-2001, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys The ram went in without a hitch! I must admit though, I have broken so much of the plastic parts on this 9500 I hate to be reminded every time I look at it. I should glue the face plates back on so I can at least have a cosmetic repair on this damage. :-0

professor
03-25-2001, 07:26 PM
two of the tabs holding the cd faceplate in on my are barely hanging on, but it's still hanging in there.