PDA

View Full Version : 9500 w/g4 450 dead!!!!

Professor M
03-12-2001, 06:05 PM
my 9500 w/ 160 o'ram boots up only by disabling extensions. If i don't it tells me that code fragmentation could not be created....should i pull out the g4 card and see what happens...is my internal bus fried cause sometimes i get this message when disabling extensions that says i have a buss error and i should boot up with extensions off...but i already was...so....alas i think my computer is fried. anyone please...do i just go out and get a new 9500/9600. or something bigger...i liked the 450 it worked really nice.

MacMikester
03-12-2001, 10:23 PM
Hang on PM,

It sounds like a software problem, not hardware, But let's hear all about your hardware first.
What G4 card? What drive? What else is on your internal and external busses?

Then your software: what disk driver? what OS? what utility programs (Disk First Aid, Norton Utilities, TechTool, DiskWarrior) do you have? What third party extensions are in your system folder?

Fried computers don't usually boot at all

Professor M
03-13-2001, 11:20 AM
well for starters....newer tech g4 450/ 160 ram....digi001 audio card...lacie internal....lacie external...that's it...oh a sony cd-rom drive that has never really worked. as for software...i'm using os 8.6...disk utilities include norton 4,fwb 4 and then protools 5.0.1. is mainly the only other program i am using...i was trying bitheadz unity ds.1 at the time of system breakup so that could be it...the thing is i've been having all kinds of problems for some time now. never been a truly solid machine....anything info would help. should i go back to os. 8.5.1 because then i'll disable the altivec engine in the g4 card, protools doesn't support the engine and that's all this computer is for....

thanks in advance for all replies..

[This message has been edited by Professor M (edited 13 March 2001).]

trag
03-13-2001, 01:52 PM
I would check and see if Norton Utilities installed Crash Guard for a start. If it did, then remove Crash Guard. It really should have been named Crash Start.

If you've had problems for a while, it is likely you have other issues, but let's see if that helps things to begin with.

kaye
03-13-2001, 01:58 PM
PM,

I have to leave for awhile but, having answered MM's questions, we need to know exactly what card you have in each PCI slot?

Second, Newer still has this page http://www.newertech.com/support/faq/memoryspec.html which discusses the very special requirements for memory compatibility with their G3/G4 processors. While it is still online, I would print it out or save it. It gives you some homework to check all of your ram, specifically the timing chips for 2244 or 6244 and the memory chips for 60ns since you have a very fast G4. Note, be careful about removing the ram, grounding yourself first, etc. AND make sure you pair the ram with little stick-on markers so that identical ram is remembered for interleaving purposes.

If any questions, ask before plunging in. Others here can help. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 13 March 2001).]

Professor M
03-13-2001, 02:09 PM
slot one is my digidesign card and slot 4 is my video card....the standard mac card. other than that...not much else to say. will check out the newer tech site thanks. as for the norton crash guard i look and see once i boot up...i don't think its there...i've disabled norton file saver...i think that's a bit of trouble as well. can you guys give me a bit more detail about l2 cache and what not.

Professor M
03-13-2001, 11:03 PM
well i think i've fixed my mistake...i failed to mention that i had just replaced my internal...failing to terminate the mighty gigagod.....so alas, things seem to be back to normal for me...except that my protools sessions keep crashing but that's another forum.

kaye
03-14-2001, 12:50 PM
PM,

Your Protools problem may be a memory issue with Newer cards as I mentioned previously. It's a pain to remove and inspect the ram but maybe on a rainy/snowy day... k

recoil
03-22-2001, 12:12 AM
This message "Bus error boot with extensions off" Has perplexed me as well I have 9500 and a 9600 both exhibit this odd behaviour with G3 upgrade. Putting the stock 604e proc. does not fix it. Continued reboots lead to a mac that eventually would not even boot from the system CD. I think its best to spend the money on a new mac and save the unending agony of cobbling this old stuff together. My only fear is that after spending the bundle, I will still have to deal with crashes and conflicts. I use my rigs for audio, and am getting so sick of all the crashes and conflicts that I am considering switching the audio to a windoze platform....O for the days of my old Centris650 running sys 7.1 with 8 tracks of protools and a samplecell card. Now that was a stable system!I actually used to make music....now I am turning into a mac doctor. :-0

Michael
03-22-2001, 12:44 AM
you're agony won't end when you go to a windows platform let me assure you. different problems and much more complex. have you ever tried to navigate around a window heirachy?

really sounds like your system is due for a complete, from the ground up, review. almost all software issues with mac are conflicts between competing programs and their extensions. not practicing safe and responsible computing is another cause. do you use utilities like Norton, disk warrior, and disk doctor regularly?

it's just a machine and will only run as well as we permit it to. a few of us on the forum here run digital audio on hopped up machines with little or no problems. try to strip your machine down to the basic and work up from there. a clean system install will often fix things. so will running a lean extension set. sometines just rebooting will solve a weird problem. regular desktop rebuilds are important as well as a clean defragged HD.

M

crazyeights
03-22-2001, 04:10 AM
I ran a PCC clone with a g3 400Mhz card and a drive with improper termination for almost a year. I would get it all "cleaned up", run it for a couple of months until it crashed good and hard the first time. After that, it would crash again in less than a week. then in a couple of days, every day, then every time I ran it. Clean things up and start the 3 - 4 month cycle again.

The moral of the story, I didn't know enough to figure out what was wrong until I spent a LOT of time here having SCSI 101 poured into my cranium.

recoil, I have a friend who uses his PowerMac 9650 (the old "Kansas"?) for multitrack recording for 8 - 12 hours a day, for months on end without a crash. Windows machines SHOULD crash, Macs should NOT crash. That's just the way it is.

Michael is right, you just need to get your Mac off the liqour and into rehab. Then it can lead a happy crash free life recording mondo audio grooves for you.

Currently, I crash every week or so.......but I know why, and I've just been too busy to take the time to make it right. When I'm doing proper basic maintenance, it's weeks or months between crashes.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 22 March 2001).]

magician
03-22-2001, 08:45 AM
my primary workstation, beast, may crash once every couple of months, if that often. And I am usually doing something unbelievably stupid at the time.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif