PDA

View Full Version : Retrospect issues -

ChrisYip
03-11-2001, 05:53 PM
another one of my interesting observations. I was hoping to use Applescript to send me messages re: my Retrospect server so I used their Event Handler script etc.. following their suggestions... But the performance of my server degraded significantly.

For example - my VXA backup that was running locally at about 85 - 100 MB / min dropped to 30 - 45 MB / min with the script in place.. Most aggravating

So - I think my alternative now is to have Retrospect put a backup log file out when it finishes its run, and then have Applescript e-mail me that file, rather than using their event handler which apparently is toggled continually. In fact Retrospect started taking MINUTES to lauch w/ the event handler in place - this drops to mere seconds without it in place

Chris

Louie
03-11-2001, 09:00 PM
Chris;

Were you using the latest AppleScript goodies? Apple has changed AppleScript considerably lately.

ChrisYip
03-11-2001, 09:58 PM
Hmm - that's a thought - this is on my 8.6 machine .. I'll check it tomorrow - Their script is really long and convoluted.. and probably more than I need...
I have a drop folder script written that e-mails the folder owner the number and names of the files that were most recently dropped so I'll try that one out.

I will download the latest AppleScript stuff for that machine too (might upgrade it to 9.0.4 - I was leery due to discussions of Retrospect and OS 9.0 problems)..

Thanks -

Chris.

Louie
03-11-2001, 11:42 PM
I think AppleScript is all native now. The changeover was at OS 9. The old stuff works but is now called Classic AppleScript.

ChrisYip
03-17-2001, 11:48 AM
Update.... I rewrite my own Retrospect Event Handler Applescript so now when the backup is done, it grabs the Backup Report, parses out the section dealing with the latest update using BBEdit, and then using a template file, creates a WWW table entry that is then posted to a WWW page so I can check the backup status.

Much faster than their e-mailer script.

Chris

Louie
03-18-2001, 07:37 PM
Does that mean it works now, Chris?

ChrisYip
03-18-2001, 10:24 PM
Yup...

Check out this link:
http://cyclops.ibme.utoronto.ca/Retrospect_Report/retrospect_report_new.htm

the script also e-mails me to tell me that the backup is done.

I think the slowdown had to do with whether you set it as a stay-open and whether it's an application / or classic applet etc.

I just wrote another one to parse NetPresenz log files and make a web page. That one I don't have completed yet - it only grabs the last days's worth and posts it - I would like to grab the last month's worth but the parsing routine is a pain using BBEdit - haven't got the GREP thing down pat yet...

Chris

magician
03-19-2001, 03:54 AM
chris, that is slick as heck!

we need to open an AppleScript archive on the FTP site and post these things! (I realize it has probably already been done, right?)

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif