PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook multimonitor setup HELP

Mac Guru
03-15-2001, 08:07 PM
We have a 13" monitor from an old performa 630CD and we wanted to hook it up to our Pismo 400 as a small second monitor... We bought a 10-Dip Switch monitor adapter so the old monitor would plug into the PowerBook but none of the settings work. Could someone who knows a lot about this stuff please help me?

AIM -PRSop2000
ICQ- 10547339
email - macguru@crosswinds.net

Thanks,
Mac Guru

ChrisYip
03-16-2001, 08:12 AM
Hi...

you have to tell us a bit more about the monitor - is it an old apple monitor?. If so, it might be Sync on Green which screws things up a bit. The output from the Pismo is standard VGA (well - it autosenses what your monitor can do provided your monitor has those capabilities). In this case, I would hazard a guess that you are probably dealing with a fixed resolution, fixed freq. Apple monitor... Here's something I found on the Apple site:

++++++
You will need an adapter placed between the VGA-Mac adapter and the
computer that adds a horizontal and vertical sync signal.
The most common mistake when using an inline adapter with a VGA-based
display such as the Basic Color Monitor on a G3 is to set the adapter to
VGA/SVGA. If you already have an inline adapter that converts the
pinouts from VGA to DB15 (which in the case of the Basic Color Monitor
you would), then the second inline adapter would only need to be set to
provide the two separate sync signals. The rest of the adapter should be
set to an open state. Most VGA to DB15 adapters do not provide the
additional horizontal and vertical sync signals and that is why the
second adapter is needed.
++++++

This link might also help: http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/wa/viewDocument?extKCID=28503

What other folks are doing is using Griffin Technology adapters..try this site for more info: http://www.griffintechnology.com/video/index.html

hope this helps..

Chris

Mac Guru
03-16-2001, 06:37 PM
The monitor is a 256 Color 13" Apple Performa Plus display. I know it's highest Resolution is 640 x 480 but I don't know what the frequency is.
It is a color monitor though. Is there a mac to mac converter? all I can find are Mac to PC... Mac to NEC type of converter.

Mac Guru

------------------

ChrisYip
03-16-2001, 07:01 PM
What you need is a VGA -> Mac converter since the VGA out from the Pismo is standard VGA whereas the older monitor is meant for a Mac..

I think you need this one:

Mac Connect Connects most Mac monitors including Apple's Multiple Scan displays to a PC. PC type HD-15 Male to Mac DB-15 Female connectors. 0262-PCM

Griffin would be able to tell you more...

I have a MultiSync 14 in the lab that we did this on

Chris

magician
03-18-2001, 07:04 AM
excellent work, Chris!

gotta say....when it comes to monitors and adapters, I just call Griffin.

they are monitor Gurus, and I am really glad they do what they do. In this case, I would just call them, tell them what you have, and ask which adapter you need. They will ship it out, and you will be up and running the next day.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Louie
03-18-2001, 07:41 PM
The Performa Plus Display is fixed resolution, 640x480. That's it, no more. You need an adapter that will pass that one resolution.

Mac Guru
03-18-2001, 07:47 PM
Well I KNEW that... it's just finding the adapter... I'll call Griffin tomorrow! Thanks.

------------------

batmantis00
03-18-2001, 08:49 PM
i have one if you need it. i just gotta find it.