PDA

View Full Version : sound-out no longer stereo

benkim
03-02-2001, 02:01 AM
After I installed the VR 128, I seem to have lost stereo sound - any ideas?

magician
03-02-2001, 03:03 AM
just fiddle around with the sound control panel, and the audio prefs in the XClaim Video Player app.

benkim
03-02-2001, 03:45 AM
yea, i'd been doing that, but it's been flaking out. a real problem since i run an mp3 server.

the vr 128 captured the first few clips ok, but then started giving wavy lines and making the image REALLY bright. i thought it was the vcr, so i hooked the antenna out of my high-end mitsubishi vcr (the composite & s-video go to the tv) and into the breakout box - so i had the same tape playing on both the tv and vr. the image is fine and clear on the tv and the all wavy via the vr...but when i stop the tape, both the tv and vr are fine just playing the tv signal.

i guess i can't understand how it suddenly and without explanation went from being a trouble-free card to a nothing-but-trouble card...

benkim
03-06-2001, 02:40 PM
...man, so I've temporarily shelved the VR 128 (worked fine for a while...then the vid capture got all wavy). I've gone back to QT 4.1.2 IN SPITE of the "VISEData" errors that keep you from being able to download QT. Still no stereo seperation. I'm totally boggled.

I'm going back to 8.6 tomorrow and see what happens.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

magician
03-06-2001, 03:19 PM
the way around the Vise errors is to quit the app, run the software update control panel and download THOSE updates, then run the NEW QT updater previously downloaded, and do it again. I suspect that simply running the QT updater, quitting, then finding the new updater and running that one, takes care of that problem.

I've always managed to blunder my way thru that issue, somehow.

Dogstarman
03-06-2001, 08:34 PM
Oftentimes (for me anyway) an easy fix was to retry the same updater (without quitting it). The cache would store any completed units that had been downloaded, and the updater would try to get only what it didn't already have. It might just be me missing something, but that works at least half the time for me. Then I run the new updater to make sure it snagged everything it should have.

benkim
03-07-2001, 01:53 AM
...man, I tried to restart my mac with the old 8.6 system folder copied onto the boot disk (with the 9.1 system folder in the trash). it wouldn't boot. i don't have the original 8.6 install CD, so i can't do a full clean reinstall.

i downloaded the quicktime 4.2.1 full installer from the quicktime support site. it installed fine but every time i restart there's a dialog box that says i need a later quicktime version and instructs me to restart the installer. it goes fine but when i restart it's the same all over again.

i've searched just about every support site and it seems that i may indeed be the first mac owner to have ever lost stereo seperation...<pfffft>

EGPoulin
03-07-2001, 02:22 AM
Going straight for the obvious, you've double and tripple checked that you audio connections are secure? What are you running for external speakers?

Have you hooked up headphones directly to the audio out jack of the machine and/or another pair of speakers to test?

Maybe when you installed the card and put it back togeher something came loose.

Was the fit of the card really snug or just as every other PCI card was? Reason I asked was maybe the MOBO is being torqued just slightly as to pull the jacks out of alignment with the backplane causing any plug to not go in completely even though it feels like it does.

Let us know and keep trying!

Good luck

~~~Eric~~~

benkim
03-07-2001, 02:38 AM
i'm using boston acoustics ba-635's - very nice and have been great for a year. i just plugged in a set of headphones and ditto. there's always been a little slack back there and the plugs have never been super secure - it's been that way since i bought this rig new.

man, i'm having one of those days (actually months) where i could just throw this thing outta window and feel good about it...and don't even get me started on how 9.1 keeps corrupting my tcp/ip stack or something. email and news works but web stuff just sits there.

every morning these days is like "shoulda/woulda/coulda stuck with 8.6".

Michael
03-07-2001, 05:53 PM
you either have a software issue or a hrdware issue. it it's software then you have to return to a state where the machine worked fine. maybe you have a defective card. when you pull the card and reinstall the original, do you have the same problem? what about a clean system install? many underestimate the potential for corruption in a system file especially when having repeated crashes etc. do you use system utilities like Norton diskdoctor and diskwarrior?

if it's hardware, then you have to find the offending party. in audio it's not that complicated, either you have a signal or you don't. you have one but now it's only mono not stereo. maybe your loose connections are shorting out the left and right signals. have you played with the jacks internally a bit?

i know it sounds like platitudes but problems are often things we overlook. it's just a dumb machine. stay cool and work backwards incrementally. by process of elimination you should be able to isolate the problem.

M

benkim
03-13-2001, 11:48 AM
After much tinkering and irritation, I'm guessing that the audio jack went bad. QT 5 prev 3 & 4.1.2 (even tho' the latter didn't seem to ever "finish" installing) yielded the same results; Disk Warrior & Norton turned up nothing; PRAM, CUDA, Desktop rebuilds, etc. same thing.

I'm baffled how it worked just until I installed the VR 128 and then quit. Chalk it up to conincidence, I guess. The 128 itself stopped displaying decent video (got all wavy) and I've spent the past 2 weeks trying every possible driver iteration and have played musical PCI slots...plus, I couldn't shake that "fuzzy" text. Seems from Breeden's site that either you have a hellish or heavenly experience with the 128 - guess mine was the latter.

Anyway, I've seen replacement audio Perch cards, but they're crazy expensive - more than $150. Maybe I'd get a Hammerlite, but then I'm out of slots. A work colleague has a 1.2Ghz Athlon Win2K box with a Radeon ViVo (Video-in/Video-out) that does real-time MPEG2 capture and Flask MPEG4/DivX encoding at 1.75:1. I'll see if I can use his box for my archiving since the whole process from capture-to-MPEG1 via the 128 & Media Cleaner Pro took ridiculously long even on my G4 (about 22-27min per 1min of video).

Thanks for all your input and help - seems there's no happy ending for this tale.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif