PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah installation help

S.Spring
02-24-2001, 11:42 AM
BW G3/400/320MB OS 9.04, Rage 128 and XClaim card (for second monitor)
2 9-gig internal Cheetahs ST39102LW, cable (I believe): Thomas Betts SCSI TRM068FPSLLVDSE 9914

Hello,
A few months ago many of you helped me troubleshoot my G3. It is finally working after Apple replaced about everything but the memory and the case. I am ready to reinstall the Miles2 card and the two 9 gig internal Cheetahs and need some step by step help with this.
Back in October,one of my sons terminated pins S1 and S2 on jumper block J2 on the Cheetah closest to the cable terminator. At the time, you said this was not necessary or recommended. So I need to start the whole installation process over.
Would one of you be able to walk me through this process, including the jumper issue, firmware updates, etc. step by step, or would it be more prudent to ask a technician to do this? My experience thus far is limited to installing PCI cards and memory, but I am motivated to learn.
Thanks.
Sarah

MacMikester
02-24-2001, 12:56 PM
Hello Sarah,

The big G's are still snoring so, if you want to get started now, i will help http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Start by going here to download the 1.06b version of SmartSCSI for the Miles2: ftp.macgurus.com//ftp/initio_stuff/Miles21.06 then shutdown and install the Miles2 in the first PCI slot (it may not matter in the B&W but for the sake of argument and a known baseline, put it there). With no cables or drives connected, use the updated SmartSCSI software to flash the firmware on the Miles2 card--this should be self explanatory as you do it. Use Apple System Profiler to make sure that the card is recognized and make sure the SmartSCSI control panel says v. 1.06b in the end.

Then go here to look at the jumper block diagrams for your drives: www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st39102lw.html (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st39102lw.html) .

Note that you should have NO jumpers at all on the J2 block for either drive. This will have termination power, spinup, parity, etc., etc. all set properly for you ----- easy. eh?

If you look at the front of the drive with the smooth top up and mounting screw holes down you will see the J6 jumper block. You are only interested in the four vertical pin pairs at the far right side. NO jumpers should be on these pins to set SCSI ID#0 for the drive that is on the last connector of your cable (next to the inline terminator). ONE jumper should be on the far right vertical pin pair to set SCSI ID#1 for the drive that is on a connector closer to the Miles2 card. You can use any SCSI ID's you want, but these are my choices for simplicity. Next turn the drives so you are looking a the back (you will see the power connector on the right, the SCSI connector on the left). The J5/J1A jumper block is between these two bigger connectors. Again, you are ONLY interested in the four vertical pin pairs at the far right of this block. Make sure that there are NO jumpers on any of these pin pairs on either drive. (You can use these pins to set SCSI ID#s OR the J6 block pins but NOT BOTH.)

Shut down and install the cables and drives keeping the SCSI ID#0 drive located on the last connector. Although this is not critical since any ID can be at any physical position on the LVD cable, it is just good form and makes for a known baseline.

This should have you locked and loaded for now. You will be ready to initialize your drives but I don't know what driver software you want to use and whether or not you would like to create a RAID.

Regards

[This message has been edited by MacMikester (edited 24 February 2001).]

Dogstarman
02-24-2001, 01:11 PM
MM has it down pat. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Heluva post!

It doesn't matter (with New World Macs) which slot you put the Miles2 in. So that's an easy one. Wherever it ended up should be fine. But depending on whatever other cards you have, it might need some rearranging. With just the ATI board, it should live happily in any slot combination. Best of luck with your machine. I hope you got all the bad mojo out of the way now.

Louie
02-24-2001, 01:16 PM
You've got it MM. I'm going back to bed!

magician
02-25-2001, 01:22 AM
yup!

MM. you kicked butt.

ok, Sarah, now that you have your drives installed, and your Miles2 connected, make sure you have SoftRAID 2.2.2. If not, hit our FTP site and get the updater, or go to softraid.com to download it. Update your copy (it's on the Miles2 CD-ROM, and you need to install it onto your IDE boot drive), and then before you do anything else, disable the SoftRAID Monitor extension. You don't need it to create a RAID 0, which is what I presume you are doing with a pair of matching Cheetahs.

now, back to SoftRAID, boot the app, and then select each drive one at a time and select Initialize from the menu bar. Once you are done, each drive should have a nice SoftRAID icon on it. Then, shift-select BOTH drives and drag them to the left-hand side of the SoftRAID window and drop them. This will open the Volume config box. All you really need to do for now is name the volume, and hit return. It should mount on the desktop within about seven seconds, max.

execute a restart, and confirm that you array is mounted on the desktop. Now, run some benchmarks, and tell us how fast it all feels.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S.Spring
02-27-2001, 11:28 PM
Hello,
I will admit that I needed some help with following your kind instructions. But the Miles card is now in; firmware is updated ; Cheetahs are connected. Updated SoftRaid to 2.2.2 and initialized and striped the Cheetahs. The icon appeared on the desktop as expected.
On restart,however, the Cheetahs disappeared. I was able to remount with SoftRaid, but the same thing happened again on restart. Figuring a possible extension conflict, I disabled Norton Utilities (5.03) and any extensions for running external USB and firewire drives. The Cheetahs reappeared on the desktop after I did this.
Apple System Profiler is perplexing : The Cheetahs show up on SCSI bus 1, ID 5 and 6, "no volumes mounted" and then further down the screen, separate from this: "Cheetahs on SoftRaid 2.2.2 SCSI ID's 5(1)-6(1). What does this sound like to you? Extension or Drive Setup conflict? Termination issue?
Thanks for your wonderful help.
Sarah

MacMikester
02-27-2001, 11:51 PM
Hey S,

No problem there, that's very similar to how ASP shows my Cheetah RAID. It does't sound like you have created a volume on those drives yet. Have you done this step in SoftRaid? You must create a volume after dragging the initialized drives into the Volume window of SoftRaid. There are just a few options and a blank field for a name in the box. Make sure you hit whatever button looks like "OK" and not "Cancel".

Louie
02-28-2001, 04:56 PM
MM has it. Your two disks are initialized but you haven't striped or created a single volume out of the two yet. When you do that, a single volume will mount on your desktop with a distinct icon.

S.Spring
02-28-2001, 06:52 PM
The icon for the Cheetahs is on the desktop. It just doesn't show up in the ASP the way it used to; it still shows as drives on SCSI bus 1 with "no volumes mounted;" the Miles2 card shows up in the PCI area, and below that, there's an arrow with the Cheetah icon, where the Softraid stripe(v.2.2.2)SCSI and ID's info are located. Is there something wrong with this?

Louie
02-28-2001, 09:45 PM
That's the way it shows in my ASP. Instead of seeing two separate disks, it shows them not mounted and then shows the RAID volume on a different line.

Is the icon for the RAID volume similar but different than the icons for the two separate disks were before you striped them (horizontal lines in the cocked rectangle instead of concentric lines)? Is it staying mounted now?

Those extensions that you disabled should have nothing to do with the RAID volume mounting.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 01 March 2001).]

kaye
03-01-2001, 11:56 AM
From one of your other hard drives, drag something over the RAID icon and see if it copies. After it is done, double click the RAID icon, the RAID window should open and what you dragged over should be on the RAID. If this scenario does not complete, there is a step not completed by your RAID creation. k

S.Spring
03-07-2001, 12:02 PM
Thanks for your help. All appears well, most of the time-- the icon for striped Cheetahs is on the desktop, and I am able to copy to it. I am still wondering about software conflicts, though, since the icon has disappeared sometimes on restart, if I enable Norton Utilities (--v.5.0.3--I realize there's an upgrade that I need to get), or if I enable all the Radiologic drivers for my firewire drive. (This last time I disabled onlythe driver for Radiologic SCSI devices and that allowed the Cheetah icon to reappear on the desktop. ) I understand that sometimes more extensions are included with software than are actually needed, but if I start turning off the ones that look extraneous, I often run into trouble.
Louie, you mentioned that the Norton and Firewire/USB extensions should have nothing to do with the Cheetahs mounting--so I'm still confused.
A question about NUM: I keep running into people who caution me against these utilities ("they cause more problems than they solve"), and in some of the posts I've seen that people say to never use them on the Cheetahs in a Raid0. Is this just for optimization or for NDD as well?
Thanks again for your help.
Sarah

S.Spring
03-07-2001, 07:07 PM
I posted this morning and then put the computer to sleep. When I returned, it wouldn't wake up, and when I restarted,the Cheetah icon was gone. Went through another process of restarts: disconnecting the firewire drive, enabling, then disabling some extensions. This time the icon reappeared, again without the NUM or the Radiologic SCSI driver enabled. This didn't happen right away, however. On restart the computer hangs longer than usual at the gray screen,while it's thinking (I think.) Is this software or a termination issue? Would SmartSCSI be of any assistance in figuring this out? I am edging toward an area of ignorance again. When I launch SoftRaid, it shows the Cheetahs striped as they should be, even when the icon is not present on the desktop.
Help...
Thanks

Louie
03-07-2001, 08:56 PM
I had to look back to see what you said; It was "Figuring a possible extension conflict, I disabled Norton Utilities (5.03) and any extensions for running external USB and firewire drives. The Cheetahs reappeared on the desktop after I did this".

I've never heard of Norton Shared Library causing trouble, but if you are concerned, move it from the Extensions Folder to the Norton Folder. It will still work as long as it's there. With this configuration, Norton can't hurt you with the extension out of your System Folder unless you run the app. Everyone seems to have opinion about every disk repair utility. Norton has had some bad acts in the past but is usually fixed right away. I've been running v 5.03 on my RAID 0 with no problems.

I think I assumed that the other part of your statement concerning USB and FireWire drivers was related to Apple software which should cause you no problem. Now that you mention Radiologic, I'm not sure because I've never used it.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 07 March 2001).]

Louie
03-07-2001, 09:03 PM
Part of the long startup process is the scan of 15 possible UltraSCSI ID's that the computer makes. It is slow, but how long is slow?

Louie
03-07-2001, 09:17 PM
Here's a thought. If you have SCSI Probe 5.2 in your Control Panels Folder, there is a preference box that you can check that says "Mount SCSI Volumes During Startup". What it will try to do is mount the volumes that you designate if the system fails to mount them. You can get SCSI Probe 5.2 from our FTP site or Adaptec.

You RAID 0 volume should mount at startup unless there's a problem. Some may feel that using SCSI Probe is like using a dirty bandage over a wound, but try it.

Your RAID 0 and my RAID 0 live in different worlds. Yours is in a "New World" machine and can't be a boot volume and mine is a boot volume in an upgraded legacy machine. I have to be careful to remember that the two machines don't work the same way because of the open firmware ROM of your machine.

Louie
03-07-2001, 09:24 PM
I personally am not familiar with Thomas Betts cable, which merely means that there are lots of things that I haven't heard of. But, it's very important that it is of the highest grade. Is it?

Are the lights on the Miles 2 card and/or your diagnostic terminator showing that you are in the LVD mode?

magician
03-08-2001, 02:45 PM
at quick glance, my gut-feel is that there are competing and conflicting drivers in the extensions folder here. I think we need to slim things down. If that doesn't do it, other possibilities merit consideration. I would get medieval on the extensions first, though.

that's just me.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

kaye
03-08-2001, 04:48 PM
Louie,

Thomas&Betts is just down the road from you, in Memphis. k

Louie
03-08-2001, 08:49 PM
Where, and what all do they do? I think I've heard of some bootleggers in Mississippi by that name.

kaye
03-08-2001, 09:02 PM
Nah, they all moved to TN, http://www.tnb.com/ k

Louie
03-08-2001, 11:09 PM
I see their web page with lots of unusual stuff, but I don't see SCSI cables.

kaye
03-09-2001, 02:51 AM
I don't either but then it was a recent merger so maybe they quit selling SCSI cables. k

S.Spring
03-12-2001, 07:43 PM
Have had a few days to put all the drives to the test with most apps, but particularly video editing; after a few more incidents with the disappearing Cheetah icon, I disabled all of the Radialogic Storage Master extensions except the one for the Firewire drive, and so far this seems to have done the trick. I believe the problem was a conflict with SoftRaid 2.2.2.
Once again, thank you all for your help. I truly admire your expertise!