PDA

View Full Version : trouble with burned cd's

kjay
02-26-2001, 10:04 PM
have an odd question. my fiance' is having me organize and burn some compilation cd's to play at our wedding reception. no big deal i say. i have a buddy who owns a pc copy various cd's which i figured i would take just the songs i wanted off them and burn my own. the problem is that my ptp won't read any of the burned disks. if i put in a normal music cd no problem. a burned data cd reads fine. any of the burned pc music cd's don't even show up on desktop. i'm using cd speedtools 5.6. i did have itunes 1 running, then upgraded to 1.1 but noticed very choppy playback that was almost locking up the machine in a pulsing pattern - play for a second, lock up for a couple of seconds. as i thought i could use itools to burn since it supported an external yamaha 8/4/24 scsi i am borrowing (saving for the plextor). noticed all the cd drivers and authoring extensions itunes loaded and pulled them out. got back to normal cd's playing fine but still the burned ones off the pc won't read.

my question is this, did my buddy miss something in the burning process that prevents my mac from reading. i was under the impression that he just copied the raw cd - did not rip to mp3. all these cd's play fine in my home/car stereos.

i realize this is pretty vague as i don't know exactly how he burned them but i thought that since they were just standard music cd's (aiff?) that would be cross platform. am i wrong?

any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks,
kj

Louie
02-26-2001, 10:44 PM
Can you double click on the CD icon, get it to open, and read the file type (suffixes) to find out what they are. Sorry, forget that. It won't mount.

Do you have Foreign File Access and UDF Volume Access enabled in addition to your CD driver.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 26 February 2001).]

kjay
02-27-2001, 03:53 AM
thanks for the reply louie,

yes, those two extensions are there. oddly though i went back through the stack, 7 of em, and 2 of them land on the desktop and play fine. 4 of them will read if i manually eject and load 2,3,4 times. the last one just won't read.

would it be your opinion that these are possibly just crappy burns? the cd rom loads and plays everything else fine. just these paticular audio cd's. the ones that loaded fine were ofcourse at the bottom of the stack.

thanks for the input.

kj

tm311
02-27-2001, 08:52 PM
If you are using Toast.....you can choose MountCD from under the Recorder menu..or hit "apple M", Sometimes that will mount your Cd's that have problems.

Louie
02-27-2001, 09:13 PM
Could be cheap media or dirty laser lens or too much slop in the physical alinement between the two machines. The PeeCee might have one of those no-name, $29.99, 48 X recorders.

kjay
02-28-2001, 01:41 AM
thanks for the info guys.

i definately know it's cheap media. i think he swooped on one of those 50pks for 15 bucks at fry's. i was panicked since i had just loaded both toast and itunes and assumed the worst. after i chilled down and went back later all was well.

once again, i appreciate the replies.

kj

Louie
02-28-2001, 04:47 PM
Good!