PDA

View Full Version : Audio Card for powertower pro?

quivine
02-14-2001, 03:55 AM
hi all,
i am planning in the near future to upgrade to a G3, have been eyeing the xlr8 carrier zif g3 500 card sold here. but i am having confusion over the question of compatibility with a sound card that i would also like to add. am considering the emagic audiowerk II. have heard from some sources, that there are problems with upgrades and many soundcards. i am more or less a novice still, and was hoping to avoid trouble before i spend the cash. hoped perhaps someone out there could share their experiences with clone upgrades and sound. or advice regarding other soundcards within that range that might be more functional. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

magician
02-14-2001, 08:26 AM
not my department.

anyone?

despaxas
02-15-2001, 05:32 AM
The audiowerk2 is a good card for the money. Especially with all of the included software. I know of no problems with it and mac clones, but Louie is the clone-man. The sound problem you have probably heard about does not include the PTP. It refers to the occasionally seen incompatablity between G3 upgrades and the Powercurve or Powercenter (the Catalyst boards, I think) resulting in sound problems or no sound at all. At that price, the audiowerk2 is your best bet IMO, and it should work great in the PTP.

[This message has been edited by despaxas (edited 15 February 2001).]

Michael
02-15-2001, 09:29 AM
check out MOTUs PCI audio card. it is a very good alternative and has no compatibility problems i am aware of. i run mine in a S900 cone with a G3 500 card. never had a freeze or hang yet.
M

Louie
02-15-2001, 01:06 PM
I don't know the card, but the PTP has the same sound capabilities as the 95/9600.

EGPoulin
02-15-2001, 08:35 PM
Another sound card that I have been eyeing is the M-Audio Delta DiO 2496
http://www.minidisco.com/minispecs/deltad2496.html
"Professional digital transferring and mastering is now easily within your reach with the Delta Dio 2496. Along with a multitude of features, the 2496 includes both Windows and Mac drivers! Additionally, the Delta Dio 2496 offers onboard digital mixing and routing, monitor control and SCMS (Serial Copy Management System) output on S/PDIF.

FEATURES

* 2-in, 4-out 24 bit/96kHz full-duplex audio interface on a half-size PCI card.
* S/PDIF inputs and outputs on Coaxial (RCA) and Optical (TOSlink) jacks.
* High-quality stereo analog output on RCA jacks, configurable as +4dB or -10dB.
* Built-in digital mixer allows the D/A converter to monitor digital inputs or act as its own independent stereo output.
* Measured D/A specs: 101dB (A-weighted) dynamic range, 0.002% THD @ 0dBFS.
* All data paths support up to 24 bit/96kHz performance.
* Drivers include: Windows 95/98, Windows NT, ASIO, ASIO2, Direct Sound, EASI, Multi-card 95/98 & Multi-card NT (up to 3 in a system), Gigasampler, Mac Sound Manager and Mac ASIO."

I have a minidisc recorder/player that would love to get digital mp3 streams from. Plus if you have a home component stereo system that has the optical TOSLink you can hook your computer straight in digitally.

Michael: I went to MOTU's page and didn't see a PCI sound card.. what is it called? Does it have TOS also?

~~~Eric~~~