PDA

View Full Version : Anna Kournikova and Disk First Aid

geotime
02-14-2001, 10:04 AM
http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've been running w/o Norton AntiVirus for a while now. Yesterday I got an email (I'm using Mailsmith 1.1.5) that had the Anna K virus (both an .exe and a .jpg.vbs). I didn't worry since the only M$ stuff I run is Office. However, I had to do a reboot before I left the house. Chimed OK, but before the "happy mac" appeared I heard a crashing sound (hard to describe). Following this the boot proceeded normally, no data seemed missing, and apps seemed to work fine. When I got home, I still got the same "crash" sound, but everything still seemed OK. (This is 9.0.4 BTW)

I ran Power Control Proc Test and 30-min Extended RAM test (0 errors), Norton DiskDoctor (the usual bad mod dates and bundlebit errors), and rebuilt the Desktop w/FileBuddy. I finally ran Disk First Aid which found a "System Wrapper" error, which was repaired--this fixed the "crash" warning. I'm unfamiliar with this kind of error, and I had never heard this warning before. Does this seem like a coincidence, or could this kind of virus (particularly the .vbs) really do some collateral damage?

To the good, I was due for a routine maintenence run anyway, and this scared me into ordering a copy of Norton AV.

magician
02-14-2001, 02:55 PM
I don't think so, geo, though I did notice that we had a little rash of those "wrapper" fixes here ourselves.

in any case, it's good that you finally ordered NAV. It should just be included with every Mac sold, IMO. Make sure you use the LiveUpdate feature to update it as soon as you install it, before you even run it for the first time. And then, keep it up to date!

Louie
02-14-2001, 05:00 PM
The wrapper thing was an Apple self-inflicted wound. When DFA 8.6 came out, all my 9.x drives showed it.

geotime
02-14-2001, 07:16 PM
Yep. DFA 8.6 it is. Well, you guys are certainly reassuring! Did you all get that disconcerting sound during boot-up? Mine sounded like a cheap glass ashtray being smashed by a volume of the Oxford English Dictionary or something equally stout.

ESPN just reported that they caught the hacker--some guy in Amsterdam. I guess since it's called Anna Kournikova it must be a sports story.

Louie
02-15-2001, 02:16 AM
Didn't even know that I had a problem.

magician
02-15-2001, 06:24 AM
nope, no crashing sounds here. And my copy of the OED is sitting right here on my wall.

;D

magician
02-15-2001, 06:54 AM
Anna sure has been in the public imagination a lot lately. She went to the Red Wings-Hurricanes game last night at the Joe, and watched her boyfriend Sergei Federov score the game-winner in overtime.

The camera panned over her as she talked on a cell-phone in her luxury box.

what a package! She was dressed to the nines, more like she was going to church, or to a business meeting or something, than for a hocky game or for a date or a cocktail party. Really gorgeous. She had her hair pulled back, and her red lipstick matched her dress.

I'll stop right there.

geotime
02-15-2001, 08:24 AM
If only Disk First Aid could satisfy the Anna ache ... I guess that's a topic for Rad Mods and Custom Configs ...