PDA

View Full Version : CD-ROM, DVD, and DVD-RAM

professorps
01-31-2001, 12:12 AM
I have a blue and white G3 that I purchased about a year ago, and had the optional DVD installed. But, I never use it. I have another machine, a PowerMac 8600 with a G3/400 Sonnett upgrade. What I'm wondering is if the I could swap the CD-ROM from my 8600 with the DVD in the G3. Does everything match up? Will the DVD drive work in my 8600? I seem to recall something about SCSI and IDE changes, but I don't know the details. I suppose I could just try it and see, but I'd thought I'd ask the experts first.

I've looked into buying a DVD drive for my 8600, but all I can find is a DVD-RAM. Is this the same? Will it play DVDs?

Thanks!

magician
01-31-2001, 12:49 AM
DVD-RAM is not the same as DVD-ROM.

the DVD unit in your B&E G3 is IDE.

The CD-ROM in your 8600 is narrow single-ended SCSI.

it is possible, but you will require a PCI card for both machines, and I'm not certain that IDE PCI cards support IDE DVD. They may be limited to IDE drives.

a Bluenote would handle the SCSI CD-ROM in the B&W.

is there a problem using your DVD as a CD reader?

professorps
01-31-2001, 01:34 AM
The DVD drive works fine with CDs, but I wanted to watch DVDs on my 8600. It looks like I'll need to buy a new drive.

Can you recommend a DVD drive for my 8600?

What is DVD-RAM? I see these drives for sale. Will they play DVDs?

magician
01-31-2001, 03:16 AM
DVD-RAM are for big storage, like 9.4GB on optical media.

we just put some up on the main site, with a couple more mechanisms coming shortly.

DVD-ROM are for watching movies. We don't carry them, as they generally require a decoder PCI card which we're not that enamored of. There is one for the Mac, and we decided that since we prefer to watch DVD-ROM on our huge screen tv's, why would we want to sell a solution we really didn't like that much?

others here are using them, and can agree or disagree with us at their whim. Just hang in there a little while, and you'll see other posters with different opinions.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Michael
01-31-2001, 04:10 PM
I have to agree. how can watching a movie on a computer screen compare with a 40" HDTV with surround dolby sound?
M

magician
01-31-2001, 06:52 PM
that's they way I, uh, see it.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif