PDA

View Full Version : Energy Saver problems

01-30-2001, 01:59 PM
I was running my 7200 with OS 8.6 and recently tried to use the Energy Saver to sleep my system. About 75% of the time it will not come back on it just sits there and I have to shut it down then restart.

I moved this drive into the 7500 the machine I am using now. It still does the same thing - so I am sure its a software problem.

I copied the "Energy Saver" program to the sytstem folder from another OS 8.6 Hard drive - no results - same problem.

I have used this hard drive for 4 years and remember a few years ago the "Energy Saver" worked fine.

When I manually sleep the system under "SPECIAL" it seems to work fine.

Thanks for any comments.
Randy

magician
01-30-2001, 02:12 PM
nuke the preferences.

01-30-2001, 02:34 PM
Define nuke the preferences for me.

I used to be a good one for "nuking to much" havent we all at one time or another?

Thanks
Randy

Louie
01-30-2001, 04:02 PM
It means trash the preferences. Kaye is of the opinion that the PRAM/NVRAM should also be zapped to solve Energy Saver problems.

BTW, what are you doing to try to wake up the machine?

Is it set for just the screen to sleep or both screen and HD?

mactheripper
01-30-2001, 04:15 PM
I'm with Kaye, as Energy Saver stores some stuff in PRAM/NVRAM like boot times for that "Boot at 8:34am" feature.

I recommend checking "Separate time for display sleep" and setting it low, and setting the sleep time for the hard drive to a large number or never. I leave my drives spinning all night, and it doesn't seem to hurt my 6-year old 2GB Hawk.

Another tip is to sleep the machine by hitting the power key on the keyboard, bringing up that dialog box (asking if you want to shut down, restart, sleep, or cancel) and then "S" for sleep. It's lightning fast, and doesn't go weird on ya.

01-30-2001, 05:57 PM
OK the preferences are trashed.

If this does not fix it where is the PRAM/NVRAM at so I can trash it?

I am tapping the keys and kicking the mouse. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks again
Randy

magician
01-31-2001, 12:54 AM
hold down command-option-p-r at boot until you hear the Mac chime 3 or 4 times. You will have to reset your ethernet, date and time, and mouse settings, among others.

kaye
01-31-2001, 12:10 PM
And you will have to plug in your Energy Saver preferences in the control panel because when you clear PRAM/NVRAM, the preferences go back to default which, as I recall, is 30 minutes for all settings. k