PDA

View Full Version : SCSI travan disappeared

benkim
01-30-2001, 12:09 PM
Hi all, I greatly enjoy this forum and have learned a ton...I've been able to upgrade my G3/266DT to no end with your help.

My problem is this - I just replaced the stock IDE CD with a Panasonic/Matsushita IDE CD-RW (CW-7586). I don't have Toast 4.X yet, so it turns out I can't use it, although it shows up in Apple System Profiler. I tried the new Toast drivers for the Platinum 5.0 beta, but also no go. However, I just noticed that my SCSI Seagate Travan NS20 mounted in the lower drive bay has disappeared since the CD-RW's installation. The Travan powers up fine, but won't show up under SCSI Probe, Retrospect, or Apple System Profiler. In fact, and I don't know if this is weird, the SCSI bus doesn't show up at all under System Profiler.

I disabled the Toast beta extensions & double-checked all the cable connections as well as the Retrospect extension - everything checks out. The Travan is ID 2, properly terminated, and the only device on the internal SCSI bus.

System set up is as follows:
Beige G3/266 DT rev. B running basic 9.1 (no fancy custom system software stuff)
352MB RAM
20GB IBM Deskstar (main drive bay, master - 0/0)
60GB Maxtor DiamondMax (upper drive bay, master - 1/0)
Panasonic CD-RW (slave - 1/1)
Seagate Hornet Travan NS20 (SCSI ID 2)
3com cable modem
all PCI bays free (using stock ATI Rage Pro with 6MB VRAM total)

Thanks for all the great advice & help (will be getting an xlr8 G4/400 & Miles 2 soon!),
Ben

magician
01-30-2001, 02:15 PM
is the Travan terminated?

benkim
01-30-2001, 02:19 PM
Yes - thru pins 13 & 14 on the back.

Louie
01-30-2001, 03:57 PM
Carefully check the SCSI ribbon connection at the logic board and at the tape drive.

benkim
01-30-2001, 07:03 PM
Thanks - I'll check in on that tonight. Can you tell me which door you recommend taking out of the chassis to facilitate cooling? I read this suggestions on one of the accelerator pages, but I can't seem to figure out which door it is - is it one the "hinged upper body" or in the lower part of the case?

Thanks!

magician
01-31-2001, 12:53 AM
the door is on the steel chassis, to the rear behind the lower drive bay.

benkim
01-31-2001, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the advice - especially Louie's suggestion. Close inspection of the connection on the logic board revealed that one SCSI pin had been bent out. I carefully used a small plastic tong to bend it back. It's all checked out now.

Thanks for all the help!