PDA

View Full Version : iMac DV refuses to start

titanium
01-22-2001, 10:23 PM
Back in Dec. '99 I bought an iMac DV 400. Recently, the monitor started flickering, and wouldn't start up at all sometimes. I could tell that the computer was on because I would push the power button, and it would ask me if I was sure I wanted to shut down. This morning though, when I hit the power button, the iMac would make the tone, the hard drive would spin up, and then it would just die. What should I do?

crazyeights
01-22-2001, 10:52 PM
You didn't, by chance, purchase one of those extended warranties did you? Of course if you had, the problem would never have occured.

Sounds like your power supply bought it. Although, if it started with a flickering monitor, it's possible you have a loose power lead or something. It IS high voltage enough in there to put you on the floor, if you touch the wrong wire(s). Likely the PS is hosed though.

One of the guru's will be by shortly with a properly informed diagnosis. I'm just a freshman hack.

c8

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 22 January 2001).]

Louie
01-22-2001, 11:06 PM
Sorry, I don't do iMac's, but I think they also have a separate analog board that runs the monitor. Not sure which is more expensive, that or the power supply. Could also be a bad video cable, but be very careful!

titanium
01-22-2001, 11:09 PM
Don't need the extended warranty, I got it on the VISA. It's still under warranty, so I'll probably take it in.

titanium
01-22-2001, 11:10 PM
But why would the hard drive start up and then die?

magician
01-22-2001, 11:39 PM
you know.....hate to say it, but it could be as simple as a ROM problem. It might not even BE hardware, believe it or not. I've seen this before with iMac.

check our logic board page (http://www.macgurus.com/beta/mbppcimacdv.html) for the iMac DV, and locate the power manager reset button. Hold it down for a long count of 20 with the rubber end of a number two wooden pencil. Don't mess around with anything else on the logic board. Reseat the memory if it looks iffy. Check your battery with a multimeter, since you are there, and let us know what your readings are. Just visually check everything, use commonsense, and make sure all your cables and connectors are nice and snugly connected.

put the machine back together, plug it in, and invoke the spirits of the cardinal directions. That should do it. If not, pay particular attention to error tones, and see if you can tell whether the drive is spinning up or not.

why does stuff like this happen? Lots of reasons. Karma. Defective components. Dirty power. Celestial tides. Space Monkees. Abuse. Cheapo IDE drives. Lots of reasons. Don't worry so much about it....just accept it, roll with the punches, troubleshoot, fix, and get on with life. It'll be ok. It's just a temporary glitch.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PS: thank your dad for his order, and his nice comments, Ti. We appreciate it!

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Louie
01-23-2001, 01:39 AM
Yes but why is open firmware, ATA, USB, FireWire, translucency and all this shit being forced on us?

And BTW, where the hell is MM lately?

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 23 January 2001).]

ChrisYip
01-23-2001, 02:28 AM
Hi...

was just reading through this - there was a note on the iMacintouch (or iMac2Day) page about people w/ analog board problems and that GLOD (Green Light of Death) problem

Here's a link to a forum page:
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum5/HTML/002459.html
...and some info: " GLOD is due to hardware failure, usually of the analog video (AV) board. The symptoms of GLOD are that the power light stays on (and green) when the computer is shut off. When the computer is then rebooted, you get no video, although the fan spins up. Often, the computer will lose video when waking from sleep or switching monitor resolutions. Some cases also suffer from an occasional jitter in the video during normal operation....

Hope this helps..

Chris.

titanium
01-23-2001, 08:52 AM
Thanks Chris... That is exactly what my iMac does. I'll check it out.

titanium
01-23-2001, 08:54 PM
Turns out that GLOD is the same problem that my sister's Rev A iMac has... It was over at our house near our other iMac... This disease isn't contagious is it (lol)? I'm thinking that the Rev A iMac isn't even worth repairing, it's probably totaled. After all, new iMacs go for $799 and are so much better, it's not even funny. What do you guys think?

magician
01-23-2001, 09:18 PM
I would try the measures I outlined before.

titanium
01-23-2001, 09:21 PM
I overlooked that PS magician.... Dad is plentily thanked; he enjoys this every bit as well as I do. We both think this is the BEST mac site on the planet.

------------------
PC... Profusely
Corded...Perpetualy
Complex...Primative
Computer...

titanium
01-23-2001, 09:24 PM
Yeah... I'm going to try those as soon as I get my hands on that iMac again. Whew... I thought the 8500 was hard to take apart.

magician
01-24-2001, 05:15 PM
thanks, Ti.

Rumor has it that God created the iMac to test the Faithful.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif