PDA

View Full Version : Slow desktop on boot

pixpicker
01-23-2001, 11:08 AM
This post got vaporized yesterday so I'm trying it again. When I boot my G3/350 it takes between 10-12 seconds to build the desktop (blank screen with only clock showing). Louie mentioned it was a DHCP server isssue. The TCP/IP is configured that way to recognize the router connected to the cable modem. It has been working flawlessly with three macs online. If the slow boot is the trade off then so be it. Any other ideas? (I rebuilt the desltop, ran Norton etc.)

Dogstarman
01-23-2001, 01:32 PM
There isn't anything else I could say. This topic came around before, and the answer was tied up in DHCP and/or AppleShare. If I set my router to not use DHCP, it loads the desktop faster. If I also set AppleShare not to load at startup, I get the full desktop immediately. I believe that is simply the trade-off. I think once again Louie nailed it.

Louie
01-23-2001, 01:50 PM
10-12 secs is really not long in these times. I should time my startup. You can rot in your socks waiting for two Miles 2 cards to scan 15 ID's each plus all the other goings on.

It will really stall for a long time if it fails to get a valid IP address from the DHCP server. It that happens the TCP/IP CP will show a phony 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address.

Under many circumstances, it's best just to leave it on.

pixpicker
01-23-2001, 02:57 PM
Thanks. BTW, the 10-12 seconds is just the delay for the desktop to build, not the entire boot (I wish). I can live with it. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't more to it. The cable company was giving me a song about how it was impossible to run multiple computers off one cable modem - unless, of course, I gave them a bunch of money. At least the cure doesn't involve a soldering gun (see my degauss post in video).

Louie
01-23-2001, 04:55 PM
Tell them they are nuts. I'm using IPNetRouter to feed multiple Mac's/clones using the NAT technique. I can do streaming video on all the machines at once, be my own DHCP server for my LAN, build a firewall, etc.

The cable tech's also told me that I had to have AppleTalk on to use the cable. The know nothing about Macs.

pixpicker
01-23-2001, 05:34 PM
They don't know Macs but they sure know Profits. They were trying to tell me I needed a separate modem for each computer AND give them an additional 20 bucks a month per machine. Their modems only recognize one IP address. Re-addressing requires unplugging them for 3-5 minutes. I got a D-Link cable router addressed to the modem and configured the TCP/IP of each computer to the router. I'm not a great fan of the cable company but it's the best $30/mo. I ever spent. There is still no DSL service available in my area and the best you could get from the phone lines is 31k. It was ponderous.

Louie
01-23-2001, 06:44 PM
Don't get me wrong; I love my cable. I get between T1 and T2 speed, but they don't know their ass from a honey bucket about Macs.