PDA

View Full Version : cheetah's won't mount -- help with jumpers?

xuri
12-18-2000, 06:11 AM
i've got two 18 gig cheetahs in a beige G3 MT (with an XLR8 450MHz G4) connected to a Miles U2W (with the Initio-supplied cable -- since i just couldn't get the Granite cable to reach). the system profiler sees the Miles card, and a single drive on SCSI bus 1, ID = 0, "no volumes mounted". it's got the size and type (ST318451LW) right, but it only sees the one.

i *thought* i got the drives jumpered to SCSI ID 01 and 02, but there was no documentation, and i was pretty much guessing.

i've checked to powere and ribbon-cable connections on both dives. they both spin-up when i power on the mac.

any help?

kaye
12-18-2000, 12:41 PM
Go here http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1121,242,00.html and you will find, on the right side of the page, PDF Downloads that will help.

Couple of other things, is your Miles2 in slot 1? And, the volumes will not be mounted until you launch SoftRAID and initialize the drives. So get the ID's sorted out with the pdf documents. Check that you have the latest versions of SmartSCSI for Miles U2W v1.03, latest Miles U2W SIM, called inia100.sim, v1.06, and latest SoftRAID v2.2.2. You can get these on our ftp site or the respective Initio and SoftRAID sites. k

magician
12-18-2000, 06:49 PM
use the ID pins on the lower front of the drives. One should have no jumpers. The other should have one jumper over the set of pins farthest to the right. That will leave one drive at ID0, and the jumpered drive at ID1.

sounds to me like you have both drives at ID0.

do not use the rear pins between the power and SCSI connectors to set ID. Use the pins on the lower front of the drive.

xuri
12-21-2000, 06:33 AM
cool! thanks. completely missed the "installation guide" when i cruised by the seagate site looking for this info. turns out i'd guessed the right jumper positions, but must not have been making good contact (or something -- i am using the jumpers from my de-installed IOMEGA zip drive, they slide on very easily, as if they might not be be contacting the pins on both sides). i pulled the jumper from the "ID=1" disk, making it "ID=0", and moved the jumper from the "2" to "1" position of the other disk. either that, or the vigorous shaking i gave both drives as i removed them from, and reattached them to, the mounting sleds, must have done the trick -- both disks immediately showed up in the profiler.

the Miles is in PCI slot 1.

before i did the jumper trick, SoftRaid was showing no available devices in the "disks" window.

SoftRAID 2.1.5 came with the Miles U2W, got the free update to 2.2.2 from the SoftRAID site. thanks for that tip. can't tell which version of SmartSCSI i have, but i am running version 1.05 of the firmware on the Miles card. took about 10 seconds to get the drives striped and mounted as one volume.

thanks for the help. happy hol's.

crazyeights
12-21-2000, 09:52 AM
xuri, probably should get verification from guru's on best way to proceed, but latest firmware rev. is 1.06.

Magician or kaye?....if xuri was using SoftRAID 2.2.2 and S.Scsi firmware 1.05, how come he didn't get "the hang" during setup? Is that bug only when running single non-striped volumes?

c8

kaye
12-21-2000, 11:29 AM
C8,

I have no idea why Initio firmware 1.05 is working for him, it should not. 1.06 was developed, as you say, to get past the SCSI hang during launch of SoftRAID, whether v2.2.2 or 2.2.1, whether striped or not, because of the Seagate drives firmware version 0002, 0003, or later. At the time I had two drives in my S900 with Seagate firmware version 0001. When I added a third Seagate with 0002, the hang appeared. My only choice at the time was to use HDT until Initio came out with 1.06 for Miles2. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 21 December 2000).]

magician
12-21-2000, 04:59 PM
the firmware may have changed on the Cheetahs he has, and may or may not require the Initio beta 1.06 update.

the easy way around it is to simply flash the Miles2 with 1.06b, and use SR2.2.2 on the drives.

this is the formally endorsed configuration.

[This message has been edited by magician (edited 21 December 2000).]

xuri
12-22-2000, 10:42 AM
thx guys.

from the empirical evidence, i am guessing that "the hang" bug is not an issue for me; since i've got the drives mounted and they are working in a (screaming) raid array -- even though i am running the Miles with 1.05 firmware?

or, is this something that is likely to get bite me in the future?

happy new year (in case i don't get back here before the turn of the millenium).

--x

magician
12-22-2000, 09:09 PM
hard to say. We migrated away from 1.05 a while back, and just run 1.06b as a matter of course now.

regardless of what you do, ensure you have a good backup at all times. That way you are protected in the event of disaster.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif