PDA

View Full Version : IDE drive recovery western digital 8.4 gig stopped working HELP!

MacUser451
12-19-2000, 07:26 PM
Greetings,

I installed an IDE Western Digital 8.4 gig hard drive the other day in my beige g3 and put it in the internal ATA bus #2 and had a friend put the jumper on and restarted the computer and a dalogue box came up, this disk can not be read by this computer do you want to initiallize the drive and gave 3 choices mas standard and mac extended and dos.....Everything worked great and my computer stopped crashing, but I also installed another 128 mb of ram, but the other day I was just typing in MS word and saving the document and the drive clicked and now it does not come up, just the dialogue box that says it can not be read by this computer do you want to initiallize it?

Any way to recover some data, or get it to come up on the desk top?

any help would be great,

and thanks for all the other suggestions on my other question about updating to os 9 on a B & W g3, have not had a chance to get to the update yet but will do very soon,

thanks
great site,
Terry

jorge
12-19-2000, 07:48 PM
you need to use Drive setup to update the driver on the disk. Find the damaged disk in the list and select function --> update driver and it should mount the disk. Hopefully, only the driver is damaged and not the drive. If the drive is dead, only drive savers can help.

j

magician
12-20-2000, 02:00 AM
right.

I would use Drive Setup 1.9.2 or later.