PDA

View Full Version : Microphone on PCI USB Card

SaltyDog
12-07-2000, 09:49 AM
I have a 7500 which I've upgraded with an OrangeLink Firewire/USB PCI Board and MacOS 9.0.4. I also have a PowerForce G3 300 card installed.

I'm trying to install "IBM ViaVoice Enhanced Mac Edition" software. This package comes with a USB headset which plugs into the 7500's audio output jack, and into a USB port. Hence the Orangelink board.

The problem....

During bootup I get a Type 11 Error from the "Apple Audio Extension".

I know there is nothing wrong with the headset because when I attach the plugs after bootup and execute the ViaVoice Setup, I am able to successfully test dictate and hear system audio.

But, that's as far as I can get. When I go to train the software by reading sentences, which is a different function, ViaVoice quits. It seems that when ViaVoice relinquishes control back to the OS, the OS is not smart enough to deal with the microphone. And the OS can't deal with the microphone on it's own.

This "Apple Audio Extension" doesn't appreciate my efforts.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

SD

magician
12-07-2000, 05:28 PM
I recall reading about similar problems on the MacFixIt website. Not sure if they were ever really resolved. IBM, of course, recommends a New World machine for that software.

I would doublecheck and ensure that you are running USB 1.4.1 resources, and it couldn't hurt to reinstall them from a freshly downloaded installer from apple.com.

You may also want to try the later revisions of the USB software available in the developer's kits on the Apple developers site.

Dogstarman
12-07-2000, 08:29 PM
2 things, Salty.
One is that the USB mic will not work with a legacy Mac upgraded. That is (as far as I know) a definite thing. I installed it on a client's machine (ViaVoice) and used the stock Apple Mic just fine. Not as responcive as a USB mic....but it worked fine.
Two is this. A snippit from the MacFixit forum and also exactly the same wording in an email I received about the issue in October.

"There is nothing in the ViaVoice Enhanced code which absolutely requires a USB Mic. If you don't have one plugged in, then whatever default external Mic you have connected will work OK.

That said, the USB Mic does have some advantages, primarily because it does not rely on the built-in digitization circuitry of the CPU (which varies from machine to machine), allowing us to target just one Mic profile.

The experience of using a Mic other than the USB one supplied will vary -- some people will not notice a difference.

Erik Sea, Mac OS Dev Lead
ViaVoice for Macintosh "

Louie
12-07-2000, 09:10 PM
Well, how's that for an answer from the horse's mouth?

magician
12-08-2000, 06:27 AM
damn, no kidding.

SaltyDog
12-08-2000, 10:25 AM
That's quite some answer.

Doesn't leave anything to the imagination.

Guess I'll use an Apple Microphone.

Thanks

SD

SaltyDog
12-08-2000, 01:08 PM
Using the Apple Microphone seems to work...

But ViaVoice crashes at the point where I choose a story to read. The system momentarily paints a window with the story and then quits. Without any error message.

Any ideas as to what is going on ?

Thx

SD

Dogstarman
12-08-2000, 07:33 PM
No ideas off-hand, unless it its something very obvious. Memory allocation...extensions conflict...Quitting without an error message usually has very specific app-related roots. I will talk to the client tomorrow and see how theirs is working. I haven't heard from her, so I assume all is well. It worked fine for at least the first couple weeks she had it running. Also try sending your info to the ViaVoice Support email. It can't hurt, and technically it is their bag. I will repost when I hear something from her.

Oh, do you have the latest OrangeMicro release of their SW and USB Card support 1.4.1?