PDA

View Full Version : Hooking two Macs to ADSL

kaps
04-27-2003, 09:13 AM
Hello,

I am helping some friends out. Currently they have a PowerMac 7500 running OS 8.5 that is hooked up to ADSL (with TunnelBuilder¬ówe don't live in the States). They also have a Beige G3 (also running 8.5) that they also want to hook up to ADSL. How do I do this. I assume that I'll need a router. What kind should I buy/where can I buy it/about how much does it cost? Is there anything else that I'll need? Once I get it, how do I set it up? What settings do I use/where do I set them (e.g. TCP/IP). Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

TZ
04-27-2003, 09:54 AM
I'd shop for a router that has a hub or switch so that you can connect and have just one device to deal with. the router will provide DHCP, which is what you set TCP/IP to use. I assume 8.5/6 file sharing will do it.

Here's DLink model DI-604 (http://www.dlink.com/products/broadband/di604/) firewall + switch to fit your needs. And $46 thru Amazon, before $10 mail-in rebate (thru 5/4). Amazon item (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000069K98/qid=1051457375/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-8614468-8866567?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846) has a good review and more information.

There are some long threads trying to help others get into router/switch thing. I don't know that it makes a lot of difference what you buy. DSL modems are often unique, but the rest is not. D-Link, LinkSys are two brands of routers. Price of $40-85US I would guess depending on whether you go wireless or not and how many ports. Most routers now have a switch (10/100) rather than a hub (10 only). But the built-in ethernet on those machines is limited to the slower protocol.

----- ADSL modem --- router/hub ----- Mac A, Mac B, etc

So you'll need some ethernet cable, the router may come with some. Figure the distances between devices. Ethernet cat5 or cat5e cable is not very expensive. You might want "snagless." I have stuff spread out and move it around, so I've got various lengths going from 1-2 ft. as well as 6', 14', 25' and 50' lengths.

- G.

I have a router and hub I no longer use, when just a router was over $100, and the hub was $25. Next time I got a combined router + switch $70 but Netgear firmware updates aren't provided for Mac OS. Wish now I had gotten D-Link model. I checked and they do provide firmware for Mac. There are some "comments" on MacInTouch about Netgear's support (or lack thereof). I am not interested in having to do firmware on a PC or running VPC.
Due to security and changes, routers do need to be upgraded. Configuring is web based (from a browser that supports java) using IE 5 or Netscape.

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 27 April 2003).]

rwm
04-27-2003, 12:29 PM
kaps

I connected my 2 computers last spring for the first time. It was mostly painless and now easy to understand. I also get more use out of the setup than first thought. Get a router/switch as Gregory says and people will help you out.

People use a variety of different router/switchess and have good luck. Read some of the recernt networking posts.

Randy,.