PDA

View Full Version : Samba + Mac = multi OS network!

tmxmnr
07-03-2002, 12:18 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that if you have a Winders machine that you want to hook up to your Mac, I did it with Samba Server (freeware) with some assitance and encouragement from Jazzbo.

You can get Samba here: http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=10346&db=mac

Hardest part actually was configuring the Winders machine (no surprise there!). http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif The Samba on screen documentation is pretty straight forward. I also used a system pref tool called SSCT (or I think it has been renamed Samba Sharing Package (see http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=10346&db=mac)) which may be useful.

Also found good info on setting up the Winders machine here: http://samba.he.net/using_samba/ch03_01.html#s1

So far, no noticeable slowdown on my G4. The Winders machine sometimes take a couple of seconds to open and close the shared folders on the G4, but once they are open, it feels just like they are on the local machine. Quite cool to copy a big My Documents folder over to the G4 in about 15 seconds!

Security so far seems as tight as before (I tested both before and after I had Samba running (and working)) at www.grc.com (http://www.grc.com) (home of ShieldsUp! and Nanoprobe tests). in all instances, I was still running stealth. Just prior to posting this, I tested my machine with Samba running at Norton's test site and everything came up Stealth as well. My guess is that any probe doesn't even make it through the router's firewall, but behind that I have Norton running on the Mac and Zone Alarm on the Winders ME machine.

Any questions or further info, just post or e-mail. I can explain in further detail what i did to configure both machines, or I am sure somebody else with more experience will chime in.

Later,

Anthony

Macdaddi2u
07-30-2002, 02:17 PM
I'd love to know where the thread is. I need to know the run down myself. My current mission is peer to peer file sharing between a DP 1000 and an NT Server. I have the feeling I just dove into the deep end of the pool head first. I sure hope Jazzbo didnt decide to go on vaction this week, lol.

tmxmnr
07-30-2002, 02:31 PM
Download Samba and install it. I think it's help menu points you right to the on-line help.

If you still get stuck, post here and I'll try to help you by explaining what I did, or Jazz or others can jump in with the professional advice.

Our network has been up and running and rock solid (except for the Windows machine crashing every other day!). http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

-A

Jazzbo
07-30-2002, 02:36 PM
It's true I led cheers from the sidelines, but Anthony did all the hard work: he installed it and got it all configured and running!

Jazzbo

Macdaddi2u
07-30-2002, 02:58 PM
I'm wondering which side of the fence this is falling on, the brave or fool-hearted......well I know where the the dock is, so I guess thats a start http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
P.S. Thanks A, I probably will have to take you up on help offer. I appreciate you throwing in the link for samba too, when I did a search on it, the multitudes of downloads had me buried. Just one question before I dive in, will I need to be booted into classic to download and install or can I boot into X and install from there?

[This message has been edited by Macdaddi2u (edited 30 July 2002).]

tmxmnr
07-30-2002, 09:14 PM
No, it's an OS X package so it installs right in X. It puts a pref pane in your system preferences (under "other" I believe) for Samba sharing. So though I believe you can actually edit the file via the Command line, it is not necessary.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised about configuration on the Mac side. The real problem I had with the Windows machine was getting it to work with a manually assigned IP address. Eventually I gave up and let the router assigned it one automatically (I'll note I do NOT have this problem with my Macs!).

The only other thing I'll note is that Samba requires you to use the same password for logging into the Windows machine as to the account on the OS X machine.

Check out this link if I haven't already posted it: http://samba.he.net/using_samba/

Scan it generally, and you should be Ok to configure. Specifically, check out the chapter on Configuring the Windows (NT, in your case) machine. That helped me a lot (for me, it was Windows ME, which I think I used Windows 98 set-up to configure)).

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

-A

Macdaddi2u
07-31-2002, 12:58 AM
I appreciate the tips Anthony, I'll probably get started when I go in tomarrow. I already hear the soundtrack for jaws kicking in. If I'm not back in two days, send in the marines.

Macdaddi2u
08-01-2002, 02:24 PM
Hi all, I'm back, hope you all are doing better than I am. I've hit a wall. I downloaded samba on the computer and installed it. The snag is I am asked when trying to connect to the server, a popup asked for a root password. The person who set the computer up initially, is gone. THE ADMINISTRATOR wants to reset the root password and I haven't got a clue how to do that. Is there an easier way than reinstalling the OS from scratch? I've been looking in OS X disaster relief but havent had any luck yet.
DP 1000 OSX 10.1.5
Samba 2.2.2

[This message has been edited by Macdaddi2u (edited 01 August 2002).]

Jazzbo
08-01-2002, 03:59 PM
Yeah, try this:

Boot the OS X Install CD. Once the Installer's up, there's a pull-down available (I think from File) in the Top Menu bar to go to password administration. Do that.

In the password administrator, select your root user and assign the new password.

Quit the password administrator, quit the Installer, reboot from the hard disk, and you should be ready to rock-n-roll.

I know the password administrator works when there was no previously-assigned root password; I'm hoping it works to zap an already-existing but "forgotten" root password.

Jazzbo

TZ
08-01-2002, 04:00 PM
Boot from OS X 10 Install CD and there is an option, along with access to Disk Utility, to reset root pswd.

Macdaddi2u
08-01-2002, 05:41 PM
Ahhh!!! Yes!!!! May the MacBuddha bless you and yours. I will give it a shot first thing in the morning. Much thanks guys!

Macdaddi2u
08-07-2002, 07:46 PM
Hi, I'm back. Well I am amazed, even though I didn't have the root password, by booting from the install CD and choosing reset password from the pulldown, I was able to reset the password myself. I wonder if I would be able to accomplish the same thing by using a retail OS 10.2 CD or if that only works with the model specific install CD.

Now down to business. I downloaded SambaX 2.2.2, got it installed but I dont know where to go to put in the network name or workgroup or password. Do I have to do that in unix on the terminal?
So far, and obviously so, the G4 does not see anything but itself in the network. However, the NT Server does see SambaX 2.2.2 in its workgroup list, so that does make me feel as though I am making some progress.
One other thing following the Samba 2.2.2 download, I read in the read-me, that I am now supposed to download an additional file, if I am not mistaken it is for workgroup, naming and password config. Is that correct. It also suggested in the read-me that I would need to uninstall any previous version of Samba, is that right?....still a bit http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/confused.gif

tmxmnr
08-08-2002, 06:01 AM
That "other file" you are referring to downloading, I believe, is Samba Sharing Package, which is a GUI interface to edit the config file for Samba. Otherwise, I assume you would have to do it via terminal.

I used the GUI interface, which actually has a tab that shows you the command line file and how you are editing it. It was a much easier experience because of that interface. While I could have probably done it via the Command line, I'm not inclined to futz with that kind of stuff too much, until I am more comfortable with the Unix underpinnings of OS X.

You can find Samba Sharing Package here: http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=10596&db=mac

Read the "Readme" file. I believe it tells you to drop the pref pane into your preferences folder and then run the Samba Sharing Program. You should see a bunch of tabs to configure various parts of the server (including workgroup name, shares, etc).

One thing I have noted now having used Samba for two or three months is the server seems to get turned "off" a lot. Not a big deal to turn it back on, but it messes up my Windows ME machine's ability to mount the network drives without rebooting.

Of course, I also note that if you are upgrading to 10.2 in a few days, all this stuff with Samba may be moot, as Apple appears to have integrated (along with everything else!) a Samba-type ability to share with Windows using SMB/CIFS protocol, share with Novell, share with Linux, share with pretty much anything without a hassle. (See http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/networking.html )

-Anthony

[This message has been edited by tmxmnr (edited 08 August 2002).]

Macdaddi2u
08-08-2002, 04:27 PM
hmmm, I wish I could open those documents here at home. If I am remembering correctly, the read me in the samba sharing package 1.5 said to, A) drag the application image from the .dmg file to the application folder on the same hard drive that samba 2.2.2 is installed in. B) drag the preference frames folder to the library folder, which I assume is the first library found by opening the hard drive. I dont remember anything about dropping the preference panes in the preference folder, but after dragging the two folders to their new locations, a samba file sharing icon is supposed to be in the system preference folder. The problem now is, nothing new appeared in the system preferences, not even after a reboot.
So you're saying to drop the preference panes into the preferences folder and run samba 2.2.2? I'll give it a shot......getting frustrated, but thanks for hangin, Rob

[This message has been edited by Macdaddi2u (edited 08 August 2002).]

tmxmnr
08-08-2002, 07:52 PM
Rob,

don't quote me on that... it could in fact be the library folder and I am just falling back into OS 9 speak.

The readme file was pretty clear about it what it is you should do. Then, you should be set once you run Samba Sharing Package (the icon with the red "S" on top of the blue double arrow).

Don't forget to check those links I posted originally to some good online help. That may provide with answers.

-A

-A

Macdaddi2u
08-10-2002, 03:51 PM
I am not sure what to do with this one, I am pretty sure I did what I was supposed to do, I read the instructions at least a half dozen times. But after installing and attempting to run the program, I still didnt have the GUI show up in the system preferences. I will look at it again monday, I've had my head buried in homework and could really use a break, but have a test first thing monday morning so, I am doing a juggling act at the moment. Thanks Anthony
P.S. probably a large part of the problem here is, I think in terms of how things work in OS 9.....and most things just dont apply

[This message has been edited by Macdaddi2u (edited 10 August 2002).]

tmxmnr
08-10-2002, 11:01 PM
No worries, Rob, you'll get it figured out.

Check here: http://xamba.sourceforge.net/ssp/index.shtml

SSP is the program you want. I'm guessing that is what you downloaded, but here is a link to some screenshots of the program just to be sure: http://xamba.sourceforge.net/ssp/screenshots.shtml

As you can see, it has tabs for each relevant section of the Samba config file. If you get that installed right and run it, you should have no problems.

I know what you mean about thinking in 9. Now, I am still thinking in 9, have added X and added Unix and Linux all in one sitting! http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/confused.gif

Good luck!

-A

Macdaddi2u
08-15-2002, 05:43 PM
I had a little time today, so I went back into the jungle. I discovered one of what is probably a long list of mistakes. The reason I had no "samba" icon in the system preferences window is, I originally put samba preference panes, as per the instructions in the "library". I assumed the instructions meant the library I found when double clicking the hard drive....not so. After moving the samba preference panes to the library in the X system folder, guess what, I had a GUI. Whoo Hoo!!! I quickly checked the system preference window and there samba was listed under "others". Beyond that, I've had no success with it. The GUI opens, but wont let me open edit users, a message box appears and says something like, edit user no run. Got any ideas where to go from here?
P.S. I found a really cool utility just poking around in folders, it does things like ping, and trace route. Anyway I pinged the server successfully, so we know for sure there is connectivity......still got my fingers crossed

[This message has been edited by Macdaddi2u (edited 15 August 2002).]

tmxmnr
08-21-2002, 05:47 AM
Rob,

I mentioned this in a post over in the OS X forum, but since it is relevant to you and to Samba in general, I thought I'd put it here too.

After weeks of having problems accessing shares because the Samba Server rejected the user passwords, I finally figured out the problem. (As an aside, it took me weeks because we hardly ever shut out machines down.) Apparently, some Windows versions send password text to the server in UPPERCASE even though you type them in lowercase. Thus, if you set a Samba password (which I have also discovered can be different than the actual User password for the Mac though on-line documentation indicated otherwise) in the preferences pane to lowercase, you will have problems. You may be typing it that way on the Windows box, but it ain't gettin to the Server that way! There does seem to be a solution, but I'm not quite sure what parameter it is in Samba. In the meantime, I have set the passwords for Samba users to UPPERCASE and I have had no problems. Note that this seems to affect, from what I've read and from my experience, Windows 95 and 98 machines (I have 95 running on one of my Wintel boxes). It may or may not affect WinME because I just checked my girlfriend's laptop (running ME obviously) this morning and by browsing "My Network Places" her User account and shares on the Mac came right up.

Also, (I tried posting this a couple of times over the weekend) I learned that the Mac has to be set to never sleep. Otherwise, it messes up the access to shares. I don't know why, and perhaps there is a way to configure it so that is not a problem, but I lose access to my shares and have to stop and restart the Samba Server when the machine sleeps. Harddisk spindown and dimming the display are OK, just set system sleep to NEVER.

Also, take a look in the Samba Config tool apps menu for something called SWAT. I think you have to install it first (which there is a menu selection to install), then you can run it (from the same menu). It opens up your webbrowser with a localhost link and asks your for a username/password (use your administrator name and password). You then can see ALL (I mean, ALL) the parameters for Samba and how they are currently configured, plus a list and detailed descriptions of what each parameter does (and what other paramters are afffected or related). It is overwhelming, but that is how I found out about the passwords sent in uppercase. It also shows that the Samba config tool only affects a handful of the paramters.

Later,

A

Jazzbo
08-21-2002, 01:03 PM
It's important that any *server* on a net not sleep.

Since your OS X is a Samba server with clients elsewhere on the net, you can't let it sleep or the TCP (UDP, or AppleTalk) service it's providing becomes unreachable long enough to time out the connection on the client machine(s).

During host-level sleep, the ethernet interface (hardware) shuts down, and your machine vanishes from the hub/switch connecting it to the net.

As for letting your hard-disk(s) sleep on a server, that depends a lot on your requirement for a snappy response to new requests. If sluggish response on a new request isn't a problem, letting the HDs sleep isn't much of an issue. If quick response to new accesses is important, do NOT let your HDs sleep. If you're seeing herky-jerky response on FMPS services, especially at the beginnings of FileMaker client sessions, check the FMP Server to be sure you're not letting its disks sleep.

There are a few times when you may not want to allow client-only machines to sleep.

If a host that got its IP number from a DHCP server sleeps longer than the "lease time" that the DHCP server allocates IP numbers and another DHCP client comes onto the net after the lease expires and before the sleeper awakens, the DHCP server may hand out the IP address of the sleeper to the new DHCP client. Once the sleeper awakens, you have two hosts on the net with the same IP address: quite confusing in all sorts of ways for both machines until it's resolved!

If you've got a network session running like a telnet/rlogin/ssh connection to another machine and you sleep yours, *bang*: those sessions are gone when you come back. Any programs you may have had running at the other end of the connection(s) are liable to be gone, too, uprooted within seconds of when your client machine slept.

My general rule is that I let displays sleep and never let HDs or hosts sleep except for my PowerBook which, in transit, is going to be changing its IP address from home to work, anyway, and won't lose maintainable net connections. Even so, no automatic sleeping (host or HD) on the PB unless it's on battery power.

Jazzbo

[This message has been edited by Jazzbo (edited 21 August 2002).]

Macdaddi2u
08-21-2002, 01:16 PM
Thanks for getting back to me. I should have some time tomarrow afternoon and will take another look. I will correct the sleep settings and check out SWAT. The passwords I will just redo and make sure all are upper case too. I sure would like to get this up and running this week if possible...still got my fingers crossed.

Rob

[This message has been edited by Macdaddi2u (edited 21 August 2002).]