PDA

View Full Version : PrintServer recommendation

tmxmnr
06-26-2002, 10:34 AM
I've done some research on print servers, but most don't support Mac or if they do, I am not sure.

My set-up is

QS 733
PB G3 333
Winders ME laptop (Compaq 1800 if it matters)
NetGear RP114 router hooked up to Comcast cable modem to the outisde world.

one USB printer
2 parallel printers
(also an old Laserwriter 300, but I am giving up hope on finding a printserver that supports it).

I want to get a Print server that can hook up the USB and both parallel printers.

Which Print Server would be able to handle all of these and will I be able to print from all computers on the network to all printers on the network?

Thanks,

Anthony

TZ
06-26-2002, 12:04 PM
Some routers can act as print server on one of the ports. Is it possible to use a USB-to-ethernet adapter? I know those things (say USB DSL modems) aren't very good and some that offered USB ethernet modems have stopped doing so) but routers can be very inexpensive, even router-switch.

Gregory

tmxmnr
06-27-2002, 04:37 AM
I suppose a print server is supposed to be hooked up to the router. Problem is that I have two different hook-ups (USB for one printer, Parallel for the two others) and it appears most print servers either have one or the other. Beyond that, most don't seem to be "Mac" compatible.

I guess I could buy the ethernet PCI card that is available for my lexmark, but it is expensive (300 bucks). Plus, that doesn't help me hook-up the ink jet.

-A