PDA

View Full Version : help with personal websharing..grrr..

shlompyboy
11-16-2001, 12:16 AM
ok..so i'm running "personal websharing" for the first time, on an 8600, os9, on a dsl connection...i open the websharing control panel, and it gives me my IP address..when I try to view the page everythings fine..when others try..nuthin'..(yet when i go to some other site that logs my IP, why do i get a different number than what the websharing control panel gives me??) i'm using url redirect from my registar..i dunno if this has any thing to do with it..maybe it's a problem with my redirect settings..?..do i have the correct IP?..i've read all manuals and searched far and wide..all the settings are correct as far as i can see, and yes, websharing is turned on http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif .....i dunno.. i've been trying to figure this out for dayz..i'm stumped..any input will be greatly rewarded with good karma..thankz..

jeremy..

lasvegas
11-16-2001, 01:36 AM
That URL Redirect sounds like a firewall of some sort. This is exactly why the IP address your WebSharing gives you doesn't work. Now if the redirect service works both ways, you should be able to view your WebSharing page by using the address reported by that other site. Otherwise, you'd have to disable that redirect service.

shlompyboy
11-16-2001, 02:07 AM
i think all the redirect does is mask my real IP, and send it on..but then again, i'm stupid so what do i know http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ...but my IP accoding to websharing is 10.0.0.2, so i'm thinking now that my cisco 678 router may be acting as a sort of firewall, and this number is an internal IP, and i need to make it re-route my real IP to port 80..but cisco's help (online and off) on this is rather cryptic and technical..can't figure out if it's even possible with this router..anyone else got this router?..but thankz for the input vegas..apprieciated..

lasvegas
11-16-2001, 03:43 AM
Ah! A Cisco Router! That explains it! Your WebSharing address will only work on your local network until you set the Router to Pass port 80 to your machine. To do this, you'll have to setup your computer with a static address (If it doesn't already have one) and program the Router to "Forward" port 80 to your IP address. Then your WebSharing will appear when anyone addresses your Router's IP address.

chatwood2
11-16-2001, 03:51 AM
The 10.x.x.x block of IPs is reserved for internal networks. No machine directly connected to the internet has that IP address. You must have a firewall or NAT (network address translation) running between you and the internet, in your Cisco.

You mention seeing a different IP address when you go to a site that logs your IP. This is the IP address that you should give people to have them view you web page. Be aware that if your DSL provider uses DHCP instead of a giving you a static IP then your IP address that the outside world sees will change, thus making it harder for people to connect to you

If and when someone use that external IP address and still cannot see your webpage you probably have a firewall running on your router. What you need to do is allow your firewall to allow incoming port 80 connections. Sorry, I dont know how you would do this on your particular router.

You also might want to check your DSL service agreement, if web hosting is not allowed you will get no help from your ISP in configuring your router.

- Chris

shlompyboy
11-16-2001, 04:22 AM
yeah..i know i have a dynamic address..but it doesn't change that often, so i can deal with that for now..it's also because i want to stream dj sets, and mp3's..so i'd rather not pay for all that space..(and most hosting company's i've contacted won't even support audio files)..anybody know a cheap one?..anywayz..i can't seem to find the "terms of service" anywhere on my isp's website(would that really matter though?.. and I found a page where a guy "talks" about using NAT to re-route to port 80 with the same cisco router i have!..but i swear that i can't find anything about that in the help pages or online about my router (yet).and i've tried every option within the cisco software..i dunno...the eternal search..ahh..thankz!..really!..peace..

jeremy..

lasvegas
11-16-2001, 02:14 PM
I know that with my LinkSys Router I have to switch the computer to use a Static address in order to Forward a port to that computer. All the computers on my network are using dynamic addresses except my main Mac. On this machine I have ports 6000 through 6999 and 80 Forwarded to allow Quicktime Streaming and WebSharing.

shlompyboy
11-17-2001, 10:42 AM
woo hoo..finally figured it out after *extensive* searching! wo what a relief..thankz for all the input on this subject..i feel i went from a know-nothing to a network server administrator in the course of two weekz (ok not quite http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )thanks to the internet..now if only i could find a free mac firewall and get that damn scsi HD to work i'd be set..and on it goes..thankz..peace..

jeremy..

kaye
11-17-2001, 12:31 PM
jeremy,

Your router should have a builtin firewall that is very good. Go here https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and scroll down the page to run Test My Shields! and later Probe My Ports! Your results should be Stealth! unless you somehow have the firewall turned off. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 18 November 2001).]

shlompyboy
11-21-2001, 04:58 AM
yeah..i've actually been using that site alot to see if my server was even working..but ever since i opened port 80 in my router, it (port 80) is not "stealth" anymore..isn't this what a firewall takes care of, or is it just my ignorant self that is misunderstanding what a firewall is? and another question if anyone knows...shouldn't I be able to have more than 2 people streaming an mp3 file off my dsl connection at once?..cuz i tried to stream at the same time as a friend, and it kept buffering every 10 seconds (which never normally happens on my connection), but it doesn't happen when i'm the only one streaming.....hmmm..

jeremy..