PDA

View Full Version : IP NetRouter experts?

hubba bubba
11-01-2001, 10:19 PM
I use a 6500 with a couple NICs to share my cable modem. That computer is also a Hotline server and file server. I picked up a 7500 to be the router and offload the function from the 6500. I set it up exactly the same, even using the auto configuring web app that comes with IPNetRouter, to no avail. I tried the config file from the 6500...no dice. What it does is configure using the external IP address for one NIC (attached to the cable modem) and an internal IP (192.168.etc) for the other. Problem is it cofigures backwards...internal IP for the cable modem NIC and external for the other...and it works somehow, but only allows that computer to get online. I force the config to change the IPs to the correct cards and get nothing. I don't know how I got it to work on the 6500. I'm stuck. Any advice?

ICCAFSN
11-06-2001, 03:46 AM
Just some questions for you. Does the 7500 have multiple NIC's? What's your network setup look like? Is it cable modem to cable modem -> 7500 NIC#1 and 7500 NIC#2 -> 6500? Or is it cable modem -> hub -> 7500 NIC#1 and 7500 NIC#1 -> hub -> 6500?

I tried IPNetRouter for a little while. I remember how rewarding it was to get it to finally work because it took me a LOT of tries before it finally worked. I seem to remember having to make configurations totally from scratch in order to finally get what I needed.

[This message has been edited by ICCAFSN (edited 06 November 2001).]

dragon_x
11-06-2001, 08:30 AM
I would not say I am an expert, but I found IPNetRouter very easy to setup -ONCE I found the proper instructions. I did have it connected in 'reverse' for a few weeks though http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

I suspect it can work in 'reverse' because you do not NEED two NICs to connect a LAN to the net. The two NIC setup simply gives you greater isolation and security.

I am running a PCurveG3/290Mhz w/MacOS 8.6 and IPNetR 1.53 - works great and is way more reliable than any net service I have recieved. It was on a cablemodem for 6 months, but then I moved. Not I share a 1.5Mbps DSL line with the roommate. I have DLS bridge-> built-in NIC (on PCurve) -> 5 port 10/100 switch -> serveral Macs & Windows systems. My roomate runs the Windows boxes... he had to remformat after a NIMDA infection http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

I would probably run the 6500 with two NICs as the router. The 7500 is WAY upgradeable. With new video (RAGE128 or better), new CPU (G3/400 or better) and a new SCSI drive (Cuda18GB narrow or LVD setup) you could have a REALLY nice system. I suspect my PCurveG3/290Mhz is way overpowered for what it does. I was thinking about setting up the Apple HTTP server but I never get around to it. Also it is so stable as is I really do not want to mess with it.

My roomate is talking about getting a single purpose router - like LINKSYS, but he has less money that me!

I never did get the DHCP setup to work - but I did not put much time into it and with only about 6 computers max on the network - static IPs are no big deal. Check the IPNetRouter site for more info - also they have a mailing list and maybe a forum. Those people were very helpful to me.

If it configures backwards - just switch around the numbers.

------------------
To boldly go where no english professor has gone before! -)

jorge
11-06-2001, 04:44 PM
did you make the dupe configuration in TCP/IP? most people miss that.

Take the instructions and go through it again. I would also dump the TCP/IP preferences.

George