PDA

View Full Version : Firewall/Router Father's Day Special

angela
06-17-2001, 03:33 PM
I always like to read about alternative firewall options that work on Mac since most of everything stable is designed for the PC. This router has a built-in firewall that works cross-platform. Great price with rebate. http://www.computers4sure.com/Product.asp?ProductID=104411 The reviews of this product are incredible, as well as the technical support. Special price ends today. Check it out.

Dogstarman
06-17-2001, 10:44 PM
Well, that's the cool thing about external hardware routers...most are cross-platform. When I first got a Linksys a year and change ago there was no Mac support anywhere (even unrelated parties) and Macworld was just about to do their broadband router special. Now, the Linksys is one of the best units out there and lots of people have developed all appropriate workarounds for any missing features under the Mac OS.

That is an awesome price on the unit you linked to. But IME, most SMC products are mediocre at best. There are 17 reviews of it at that site. Who really knows how many are legit? One of the major motion picture studios just got "busted" for having fake critics review their films for almost 2 years. So a lot of what was written about the films prior to release was all BS built to sell the product. Now, I am not alledging anything....but with only 17 reviews I would be quiet skeptical. And the fact that it is unshielded plastic and the one fella claimed a 900 Mhz cordless phone killed his connection....that's sketchy.

And just about any router will pass the firewall security tests unless you tell it to open ports. It takes the IP address your ISP gives you and assigns itself to that. It then addresses all computers locall to an entire different IP address string. So anything looking at the ISP-assigned address will be baffled.

A router is one of the best things you can get to adorn your broadband connection. If anyone gets one, I am more than anxious to find out what they think of it, though. Even at $100, it's a good price.

angela
06-18-2001, 12:29 PM
DSM,

The guy with the 900 mhz phone story is a lunatic. I agree with you that his comments are sketchy. What does unshielded plastic have to do with a cordless phone? What he did not say is that he plugged the phone into the router. What a dummy!!! Couldn't even follow the diagram on the box. What a shame. Aside from this fact, most of the reviews were great. I was surprised to see that no one reported any bugs on Techweb site--so this is a good sign. I am sure if the configurations are not set properly, then any router will be considered mediocre. I think one assumption with routers is that the user has to have some networking knowledge, otherwise configuration can be a kick in the butt. SMC has automatic configuration.

I found some product review links also on TechWeb:
http://www.techreviews.com/sections/topReviews/article/TT20010403S0004
http://www.techreviews.com/sections/topReviews/article/TT20000926S0001

I look forward to receiving my router soon. The idea of the final cost of $49.95 was motivating. The price went up about $35 today, but the price is still good. I want to compare this router to IPNetRouter. I really like IPNetRouter, but its nice to have hardware especially since I would need additional software to monitor activity . I will update. It will be interesting to check out the performance on my Mac.

Dogstarman
06-19-2001, 11:23 PM
Angela,

Great to read some positive things about SMC. They have iffy-at-best NICs, but who knows? As long as the router works and works well, you're golden.

Unshielded plastic...HA! How does he know the plastic is unshielded? If new iMacs have shielding in the clear shells, there is no reason that a black plastic box can be assumed to be unshielded. Regardless...the router should work fine. Stupid is as stupid does.

angela
06-19-2001, 11:57 PM
DSM,

I am really looking forward to getting my router tomorrow and road testing it. I just hope that I wont run into any problems with Verizon service conflicting with it resulting it in ID #6 error. It seems like a bad omen that all of sudden Verizon wants to check my line for trouble. A couple of days ago I was battling with them about the failed connection error and it happended for about 5 minutes tonight, I chalked it up to the occassional down time on the system, but they are a little too helpful now, especially since the problem is gone now. They asked me to leave my computer on tonight so that they could test my line and someone is supposed to call tomorrow, but yet it could be anytime in the next 48 hours. As if I have time to sit by the phone with a three year old in the house. I committed to a 3 hour window tomorrow and thats it. As far as their fishing expedition tonight--the computer will not be available. Seems like they are up to something clever.

I can hardly wait to test out the SMC since I would like to see how the firewall works in comparison to IPNetRouter. Wish me luck!!!

dragon_x
06-20-2001, 08:04 AM
I like IPNetRouter. It is great, IF you have a spare Mac.

angela
06-20-2001, 08:35 AM
I love IPNetRouter too, especially because of the firewall. The only problem is that you need additional software to detect intrusion.

Louie
06-20-2001, 11:06 PM
Which is IPNetSentry. Very cool, $30. They both work great with IPNetMonitor and IPNetTuner.

A $3000 Cisco router has a '030 processor. My $22.50 PowerCurve Gateway (router) has a 200 Mhz 604e and can also to everything a computer can do at the same time it is being a router.

angela
06-28-2001, 11:38 PM
Success is sweet. I love the SMC Barricade. I finally got the nerve to take it out the box yesterday since I had to undo IPNetRouter. The router is totally self configuring from the browser and all I had to do was enter a few settings and update the firmware. It couldn't be easier. There is no software or discs necessary for the Mac version. The only thing annoyed me is that the Mac install guide did not come in the packaging, but was available from the website. The tech support is excellent and available 24/7. When I compare IPNetRouter to the SMC Barricade, both are nice firewalls. The only difference is that the SMC Barricade does not require any additional software to determine unauthorized access . The Barricade achieves "stealth" status on the ports where I could only achieve "closed" status with IPNetRouter when the ports where probed with www.grc.com (http://www.grc.com) using Shields Up. I have a little more peace of mind now.... I would definitely recommend this product.

[This message has been edited by angela (edited 29 June 2001).]

mactheripper
06-29-2001, 02:48 AM
Welcome to the Stealth Crew, yo!

-mac

angela
06-29-2001, 07:35 AM
This is so cool achieving stealth without having to configure any ports. Its so nice.

Dogstarman
06-29-2001, 06:34 PM
A positive mark for SMC. Nice. Glad it was easy for you. It's a nice place to be....behind a firewall that you trust!

angela
06-29-2001, 09:22 PM
DSM,

I really like the new firewall, but I have to admit that SMC could have done a better job of including the Mac installation materials, but at least everything was on the website. Tech support claims that the Mac person responsible for materials to be included had quit their position before the router was shipped out to the companies. But I really like how the router can be monitored from the webpage. In addition to grc.com, I tested the ports on http://hackyourself.com/startdemo.dyn since the site tests more ports and the results were also excellent. Nothing like a new toy...and the automation is incredible. This router is truly plug and play, just as the Mac.

I am curious as to how you monitor your security using Linksys router since this is another quality product. Please share what are the best features about the Linksys? Do you have to update firmware too? How easy is it to block specific ports?