PDA

View Full Version : PCI to Parallel adapter

wlight
06-14-2001, 11:11 AM
I am running an Encad Pro 50 printer from a Nubus style Mac (8100) and am using a Nubus to parallel adapter. I would rather use my 9500 but need a PCI to parallel
card. I have found many for the stinking PC but nothing with Mac drivers.

ChrisYip
06-14-2001, 11:46 AM
Hi there - did you move it to this topic area on account of my question re: networking?.. (you had it posted in the SCSI area).

Anyways - ideas that have been floated around - look for one of those Ethernet to parallel print server appliances like HP JetDirect external print servers.

There are a number of threads related to this that are floating around (look in the networking section in particular).

HTH

Chris

wlight
06-14-2001, 03:27 PM
Hi there - did you move it to this topic area on account of my question re: networking?.. (you had it posted in the SCSI area).

Anyways - ideas that have been floated around - look for one of those Ethernet to parallel print server appliances like HP JetDirect external print servers.

There are a number of threads related to this that are floating around (look in the networking section in particular).

HTH

ChrisThanks for your reply. No, I didnt move it because of your response, I just thought I would try the question in differnet forums. The printer does not have a network card. It can only be operated by the parallel port (which allows for chooser level network printing) or from its Mac printer port. It works as is with the Nubus to parallel card but I am limited as far as speed. The Nubus Mac (6100) only has 1 slot of course and this is taken up by the card so I have to rely on its built in ethernet which is only 10base. I have plenty of extra PCI based macs lying around just waiting for a purpose.

ChrisYip
06-14-2001, 06:11 PM
Well - you could try bolting the printer to the parallel port on one of those servers and then using your 10BaseT to print to it.. The other option might be to use Local Talk if you do want to network the printer (esp if it already has an Appletalk connector)

Chris