PDA

View Full Version : Best upgrade for PCI G4 400MHz - HD, Card and Graphics.

rwm
02-22-2002, 02:25 PM
My friend has decided to finally set his PCI G4 400MHz up better it is stock now.

1. He has RAM comming - about time he was running on 128MB.
2. Needs an IDE Drive and card for his machine. Has no need for SCSI. Working on a tight budget - ?

I'll be happy to get him this far - then I'll work on his Graphics. - he has no real demand for a better card than the stock Rage 128.

All I really need top know is which IDE/PCI card? It had a external SCSI card put in it when ordered - He is checking to see if it is external only or external/internal. But with SCSI really out of the pitcure - A good IDE card. The 66 or 100

Thanks, Randy

rwm
02-22-2002, 04:00 PM
After rereading a post looks like the ATA 100, ATA 133 or Acard can be had for under $100 then a drive - seems the best. Is one a clear winner over another in the PCI G4's ? The ATA100 would handle things but would the ATA 133 do a "much better" job?

These cards all support 2 HD's right?

Randy

kaye
02-22-2002, 11:28 PM
Randy,

Good summary of cards here http://www.barefeats.com/hard21.html

The Acard 6880M ATA-133 can be used with four drives either as individual drives, or a Hardware RAID of two drives and two other drives not RAIDed, or two sets of Hardware RAID drives. Something like that. I don't know about the other cards, at least two drives anyway, but if the card has two cable connectors, then four drives. k

rwm
02-22-2002, 11:42 PM
Thanks good info every where. The Sonnet ATA100 would work great here.

What is the MB sec transfer from the stock setup of the PCI G4.

Thanks all
Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 23 February 2002).]

rwm
01-27-2003, 05:39 PM
My friend is ready to buy a new drive and Host card. He will be running both 10.2.x and OS 9.2.2. What PCI Host card is dependable - but very affordable? There will not be need for a RAID setup ever. He will just stick it on the card and use it like that - nothing more. An ATA 66 would work.

Does the Sonnet ATA 100 work in both X and 9.2? Other suggestions? Good sales anywhere? http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks
Randy

unclemac
01-27-2003, 07:51 PM
The best/cheapest ATA 133 I have used is the SIIG. Appears tp be built by Acard, it works great with 9 and X; have installed 3 of them and they have been perfect.

I have one in a BW 350 running 10.2.3 (with a G4 550 upgrade) that has NEVER crashed since moving from 9 to 10 about 8 months ago. Just put one in a G4 450 with the powerlogix 1G CPU upgrade. Plug and play for both....fire and forget. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Good cables, about 80 bucks, two channels = 4 drives.

OWC (among others) sell em. Ricks has tested several controllers and is happy with the SIIG... If you are on a tight budget, I think they have some Sonnet ATA66 controllers for about $50, but they may be pulls.

Hope the Gurus sells em when they are back up - you guys ARE coming back soon, right??

rwm
01-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Yes my friend is tight on $$$'s - and he won't be adding any more drives.

I am trying to tell him a card is worth it over the current stock 33 channel/bus

A good ATA 66 would work. And be better than the stcok.

Randy

unclemac
01-28-2003, 01:43 PM
This is the one I was thinking of: http://eshop.macsales.com/Item_Specials.cfm?ID=3853&Item=ACDAEC6260M

Check the specs. I have not used one, but *should* be about the same as the SIIG (except of coarse 66 vs. 133). 55 bucks...if it were me and I was planning on keeping the box for more than a year ( and continuing to upgrade), I would spend the $25 for the 133 SIIG just to get max performance if/when faster drives are installed...

If he does not plan to stay up with the latest in ATA6 develpments, then the 66 Acard would not be a bottleneck for current/older drives IMHO. Don't know of a cheaper reputable card, unless you can find a used one.

ataMan
02-22-2003, 02:03 AM
1) It is unclear, who is the winner. Currently there are two competing solutions, one based on Acard, the other based on FirmTek. FirmTek seem to be more mature and it also addresses the drives as ATA (without the costly SCSI-to-ATA translation) for MacOS-X. It also has some performance advantages.

2) The clear loser IMHO is the "hardware RAID" card fromAcard. It is the most expensive solution. It does display very little if any perfromance advantage on MacOs-9 compared to FirmTek design - but loses not just to FirmTek, but even to Acard's own(!) standard ATA/133 controller on MacOS-X. (Tested with iozone benchmark). I believe, it has also the most compatibility issues.

unclemac
02-23-2003, 03:30 AM
Hey ataMan,

Not familiar with "Firmtek"....can you shed some light for us user types?

Thanks.

ataMan
02-23-2003, 09:01 AM
FirmTek is the owner/maker of the ATA code which is in TurboMax/33 (the only Acard product they did support so far), UltraTek/66, Sonnet Tempo/100, Sonnet Tempo/133. UltraTek/66 and Tempo/100/133 are based on Promise chipsets.

TurboMax/66, Sonnet Tempo/66 are from Acard. SIIG also sells Acard cards.