PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Partition

xmarc999
08-28-2002, 12:52 AM
I have just installed two Maxtor Diamond Viper 80GB drives. I have OSX
10.1.5 installed on both. Both are divided into two partitions. One is my
'regular' boot disk, the other is pretty clean (minimal). I installed Norton Utilities on both with the idea that if I have a problem with my main drive, I can boot from the other and fix the main one.

I have had four occurrences where the partition on the second drive
containing OSX "disappears". (The second partition is just fine.) When I boot, I get a message that "A disk attempting to mount as Unknown has failed verification or failed to mount. Please use Disk Utility to check the disk and correct any errors."

When using Disk Utility, Verify returns the following message.
Verifying selected volumes.
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume HD2 Video2 needs to be repaired.
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Invalid B-tree node size
The volume needs to be repaired.
Verify completed.

However, "Repair" is grayed out.

Running Norton Disk Doctor kicks off a couple of the "A disk attempting .." messages followed by "Norton Disk Doctor has come upon an unexpected problem and is unable to continue scanning the disk ... Error found: -60. Please try examining the disk again.."

The first two times the problem happened, Norton was running (once scanning and once doing Speed Disk). I think it occurred when Norton unmounted the drive as part of its processing. However, it happened twice since then so I can't really blame NDD.

If I re-boot and hold the Option key, and then select the second disk, the system will boot (although it seems slow). After that, the disk is again recognized, at least until the next time the problem recurs.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

By the way, NDD reports:
Disk Information for: HD2 ScratchPad (The name of the partition)
Volume Size: 32 GB
Allocation Blocks start at sector: 0
Allocation Block Size: 4K
Mounted: No
Driver Installed: Yes
Partition Map Style: New style (IM V)
Partition Size: 32 GB
Media Type: ATA Device
Total Sectors of the device: 156355584
Physical Sector Size: 512 bytes
Partition Name: Mac HD 2
Partition Type: Apple_HFS
Partition Valid: Yes
Is HFS/HFS+ Partition: Yes
Partition Number: 9
Total Partitions: 11 (huh?)
Starting Sector of Partition: 1824
Number of Sectors in Volume: 67092880

ricks
08-28-2002, 10:59 AM
?This seems to be a common thread with Norton Utilities. I have never used anything except Disk Warrior on my OSX drives so I haven't had the joy of repairing Norton drives over and over. If I remember correctly here was a thread where it seemed that Norton's wasn't handling the resource forks correctly.

Consensus seems to be that Nortons is not ready for OSX.

Rick

xmarc999
08-28-2002, 10:46 PM
I've been dragging my feet a bit on DiskWarrior waiting for the native OSX version, but this problem is getting old.

Latest info is that Norton now says the disk is clean but Disk Utility reports:
Invalid B-tree node size
and
Volume Header needs minor repair.

Another confirmation of NDD's shortcoming. I am/was a diehard NDD fan after it resurrected a totally hosed hard drive about 5 years ago, but the times they are a-changin'

ricks
08-28-2002, 11:00 PM
Hey,

?George, I mean boots, mentioned yesterday that there was an announced release date for Disk Warrior for X. I don't remember when. www.alsoft.com. (http://www.alsoft.com.) Don't you dare spend the money on the 9 version and then pay to upgrade in another week or two! (ooops, my wife is home, can you tell??? http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/tongue.gif )

Rick

xmarc999
09-20-2002, 12:12 AM
Well I bought DiskWarrior (No OSX announcement yet (I don't think)). But I also did what the Symantec website suggested and reformated the drive. It's fine now. BUT interesting thing is that DiskWarrior demo is on Norton SystemWorks distribution disk. Are they openly ceding this particular function to Alsoft?