PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know if the Sonnet Trio supports removeables?

TaxiDriver
08-15-2002, 03:12 PM
I'd like to free up a slot and am considering this card as a replacement for my ATA66 controller. In doing so I also want to pop a Plextor CDRW in there, and I understand that there are some cards that support it, and others that don't.

TIA for your help.

-TD

phidauex
08-15-2002, 05:23 PM
I don't know from first hand experience about the Trio (I'm actually planning on buying one eventually as well, with only 3 pci slots in my beige g3, its good to consolidate), but if it is an ATA-133 controller like it boasts, it should support any ATA compliant device, including any removables. I haven't seen any ATA controllers that don't support removables in a long time. You might call/email sonnet and ask them, but my guess is that they will tell you, "Of course it does."

If you get one, tell us how you like it! Those plextors are nice too, I've always been happy with their drives (i've owned 3 of them).

peace,
phidauex

TZ
08-20-2002, 06:48 AM
One thing to be-aware is that for now the Sonnet ATA/100's break with Jaguar while their ATA/133 is fine (and the new firmware reduces startup delays).

I think putting IDE and FireWire on one card is over-due and I would definitely go this route if I needed to expand my beige or 7300. But I'd want to wait to hear reports first, too.

Gregory