PDA

View Full Version : Beige :Sonnet ATA/100 + Tango

08-15-2002, 02:56 AM
Beige MT 300
Sonnet G4/500 seagate 80G ata100, ibm 45G ata100
Yesterday I got a sonnet ata/100 card and a tango firewire/usb card. After many many hours and many things tried I'll give the bottom line.
OS9.2: both cards work but one of my disks ibm45 ata100 is recognized but not mounted either as a master or as a slave.
OSX10.15: doesn't boot. Tried many different combinations and at the end I realized that if I removed either the tango or the tempo card the system boot. If both cards are in the pci slots the system hangs with a black screen, also without anything attached to them. I run the latest firmware updaters for both cards without success.
Any one have an idea what could be the problem?
Thanks in advance
Btw the tango card does work perfectly in OSX I had another card that would work on OS 9 but didn't mount a maxtor firewire drive nor the ipod in OSX. Now this works well.

TZ
08-15-2002, 07:15 AM
In a couple weeks (?) or less Sonnet is suppose to ship their Trio IDE + FW/USB card to save a PCI slot... any drive usually will need to be reinitialized to work on PCI IDE card.

Have you searched in the drive update database on www.xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) on Tango?

Deskstar is popularly known as 'deathstar' due to all the problems w/ the 75GXP?
also, the 120GXP's seem to run much better - doesn't help you right now.

What does Sonnet say? http://www.sonnettech.com/support/techtips/default.html
online help, FAQ etc and 10.2 is likely to need yet another firmware update.

I wonder if they've kept the Tempo ATA/100 'current' or if ATA/133 card would have been any different?
It use to be that you lost USB under OS X on Tango so I wasn't aware that was working now.

Which firmware - 2.2.3 is the latest - sometimes the latest isn't what you want (it may be for QuickSilver G4's
and deep sleep or fix one problem but break something else). I don't see any other version though.

Gregory

08-15-2002, 09:13 AM
thanks gregory. I've received the cards yesterday so it's too late to buy the trio new card. Actually I bought the tempo and then I realized I need a combo usb/firewire because I only have two spots the other is taken by a radeon. The cards were not to the last update but didn't work as it were more than now so I run the latest firmware from sonnet. When I mention that the tango card works is because the one that I had didn't work under x. it was recognized and you could even see ther was a maxtor drive attached looking at the system profile. I didn't at that moment see anything helpfulf looking at the net so I thought it may be interesting for beige owners that wants to put a firewire card. I wrotte sonnet yesterday but I guess it's too early for an answer.

Almost forgot I have two drives and only one didn't work with the ata? and it's true this ibm hd sucks. from time to time I get the heads searching because of bad blooks. That's why i bought the other one.
thaks again.

TZ
08-15-2002, 10:04 AM
Disk Warrior can help sometimes with a drive. If you really have bad blocks you'd know it. the scratching is something else.

The new Seagate 'Cuda V ought to be nice - once it ships. I won't touch a Maxtor for now; and the 120GXP IBM's are a good drive as you can get... $79 60GB and fast.

I figured that if you just got the card and it isn't working, the ATA/133 or Trio might be an option on return etc.

Did you try to initialize the drives using Disk Utility (X) or Drive Setup? if so, what happens?

You can use DS to LLF and Zero All to map out bad blocks on ATA drives. YOu could try DW first, then Drive Setup's Test Function, then full format/iniitialize and then run Test. Search the Apple Support Knowledge Base on "low level" and it has the full story.

08-15-2002, 10:18 AM
I thought the scratching noise was made by the heads trying to read. Anyway the disc was my first problem and I thought eventually I may had to initialize the driver but when I tried to see if everythings work on OSX my prioritie changed. I don't use OSX that much but I like to use itunes 3 with my ipod. The seagate so far not so bad 96$ a week ago 80G 7200rpm. I did check with the ata 100 and it gives writes and reads arounf 45Mb so it's 3x faster than what I'm getting now with the onboard ata.
maybe sonnet techs will be of help.
One think I remember abaot a year and a half ago is that with drive set up I couldn't low level format the ibm drive.
thanks again