PDA

View Full Version : Burning a CD - Am I missing something?

tmxmnr
08-05-2002, 06:09 AM
I seem to have a lot of problems burning CDs in OS X. Is this generally a problem with OS X or am I doing something wrong?

Specifically, I put in an unformatted disk and it asks me to "prepare" it for burning, which I do. It shows up on the desktop and I drag all the stuff I want copied onto the disk and then drag it to the trash (well, to the "burn"). Then it says that there is an error and asks me to "prepare" the disk again, which I do, but now I have two icons of the disk (if I give it a different name).

I am new to this new-fangled CD burning, but it seems like a simple concept... am I missing something?

Thanks,

Anthony

ricks
08-05-2002, 10:58 AM
Sounds like you're doing that right Anthony.

?What you're doing when you drag copy files to the icon is creating a disk image of what will be burned to that CD. That's why it takes a bit to actually copy the data.

?I've never seen the particular failure notice that you have popping up, if this was OS9 I'd say give it more memory, or reinstall the extension or whatever. Being OSX ram isn't an issue. The extensions and drivers are harder to find and harder to replace.

?I wonder if MacFixit would list something? Going to have to look around a little.

Rick

Boots
08-05-2002, 11:24 AM
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum23/HTML/000207.html

That seemed to work fine for me but perhaps there is an easier way...
Haven't had that particular error message yet but did have to check 'ignore invalid checksums' checkbox on the Verifying tab of Disk Copy preferences in order to successfully mount .dmg's I had made earlier...

tmxmnr
08-05-2002, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I got it to burn. I rebooted, and it seems to be working smoothly now. I dunno if that was the problem or what. I tried disk copy, but I don't think that will work for what I'm tryin to do. Actually, I am trying to burn a copy of Yellow Dog Linux to evaluate on my PB G3 (before I go futzing too much with it on my G4 which sort of administers the whole home network set-up).

Anyway, in the readme file at the Yellow Dog download site, they say you can't mount the image and burn it, you must "Burn from ISO". I don't see that option and though I got the whole 620-some MB distro to burn, it won't boot from the CD.

Go figure... they probably want you to pay 29.95 for their CDs... why they would offer a download then is beyond me.

Thanks,

A