PDA

View Full Version : Cable Recommendation

freelanceguy
07-29-2002, 04:52 PM
What cable do you recommend for use in the BW G3 in Master /slave configuration, are your cables long enough to bridge two drives in this mac?

thanks!

ricks
07-29-2002, 05:10 PM
flg,

?If your B&W is a rev2 then you should have no problem just stacking the drives and using the supplied FoxCon OEM cable. Master is the current drive on the bottom of the stack, the added drive should be configured slave since it will occupy the middle data cable connector.

?If your B&W is a Revision1 then you should purchase a PCI host card adapter. Adding a slave to revision1 B&Ws always had corruption issues that the rev2 solved with the addition of a newer drive controller chip on the motherboard. By installing a new host card you not only resolve that problem but gain a whole bunch of drive speed.

Rick

freelanceguy
07-29-2002, 10:50 PM
This is a combo BW, I guess....Started life as a Rev 1. After static zapping a ram socket, I replaced mobo with a Rev. 2 (so I still have the Rev 1 HD configuration). Reason I am looking for a larger cable is that I'm having issues with my Tempo 66. Both my HD's are set up with OS and applications on one HD and projects on the other...so I still need to access both drives while Tempo is getting replaced by Sonnett. Do any of the Gurus sell cables that have enough space between ends to attach 2 drives in a Rev. 1 configuration or am I looking for something more custom made?

[This message has been edited by freelanceguy (edited 29 July 2002).]

ricks
07-29-2002, 11:09 PM
Ah,

?That makes sense! And the answer is yes. A standard configuration Granite IDE cable will easily accomplish your task. The GD1011 near the bottom of this page: Here (http://www.macgurus.com/products/drives/idepagesofheck.php)

I can see how not having the stacked bracket and cable would be a pain.

Rick

wingman
07-30-2002, 08:27 AM
freelanceguy,

If you just need to eek out a few days because of that that rev. 1, side-by-side, pain in the rear, mounting tray; then you might reverse a standard 18" ATA cable.

Reversed, the longer part of the cable will reach both HDs side-by-side; that is, with bay 2 (middle bay) HD the master, bay 3 (back bay) HD the slave. The shorter part of the cable is sufficient to reach the motherboard from bay 3.

That's an old trick some us used earlier on with trying to add slaves to rev. 1s -- there's still a note about this on xlr8yourmac. You had to reverse an 18" because as you found the 'shorter' stretch of an 18" cable can't reach both HDs side by side.

[This message has been edited by wingman (edited 30 July 2002).]

freelanceguy
07-30-2002, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the tip. Just need to find the slave setting for the maxtor drive and set to go. Switching drive jumpers should not affect any data on the drive correct (backing up just in case)?

wingman
07-30-2002, 03:28 PM
freelanceguy,

1. Jumper settings are available on Maxtor's site (maxtor.com). Need to poke around a bit but it's there in the Maxtor Knowledge Base. Sorry, couldn't really get a clean link to paste in.

2. Switching master or slave settings shouldn't affect the data. But it's always best to do what you're planning, i.e. back up.

One last comment/question. Are you planning on moving the HDs that were on the Tempo to the mothergboard? If so, you might hit a snag in 9.x if you formatted your HDs with Drive Setup (9.x). DS only sticks one kind of 9.x driver on your HD: ATA drivers if the HD is on the mb; SCSI drivers if the HD is on the Tempo. The upshot is that HDs formatted with DS won't mount in 9.x after you move them from the Tempo to the mb (or vice versa). The data will be there, but they won't mount in 9.x without the correct drivers.

That said, if you formatted with Disk Utility (OS X), then you'll be fine in 9.x; for Disk Utility sticks both ATA and SCSI (9.x) drivers. So the HDs will mount in 9.x after you move them. Also, if you going to be in X, then you probably won't have a problem; for X doesn't require those drivers to mount your HDs.

freelanceguy
07-30-2002, 04:13 PM
Thanks! Already formated with OS X Drive Utility....just in case I had to do this.