PDA

View Full Version : Beige G3 IDE HD Upgrade

miller79
07-28-2002, 09:23 PM
Hey Guys,

I am looking to upgrade my Beige G3 w/ a new hard drive it is a REV 1 so I can't slave it to the master so I'll replace the orginal. Is this easy to do... any recomendations on drives.
I am actually going to be selling this, and thought a larger HD would be more appealing? It already has a Sonnet Encore G4 400MHZ Upgrade 448 mb of Ram , MacAlly USB/Fire Wire Card and a Yamaha EZ-2200 CD-RW... Also I know there is a place where you can get a front cover for the drive bay for the Beige G3 I saw something somewhere...any ideas where that might be...It looks kind of ugly with out it...Any help is appreciated!!

Nick

ricks
07-29-2002, 06:15 PM
Hi Nick,

?You won't have a problem installing a new drive in your computer. I like Barracuda IVs as the coolest, quietist, most reliable drives there are.

?I would doubt you get much more for your computer because you install a faster drive though. Not to pour water on your party, but the market doesn't really care that much about drive capacity in vintage computers.

?The bezel you are referring to can be found from the main Gurus page under Bezels. Here (http://www.macgurus.com/products/drives/mgscsibezelsandsleds.php)

Rick

miller79
07-29-2002, 07:03 PM
Rick,

thanks for the reply....I have been debating about that upgrade...I really don't want to upgrade and your opinion swayed me that way. OT: You guys know Macs : $600 asking to much for a Beige G3 Rev 1 w/ a Sonnet G4 MHZ, 448 MB, Yamaha CD burner and USB/FW card... it is kind of hard to judge this config. on ebay...some people told me to sell everything individually ..I realy do not want the hassle..What do you think.

Nick

rwm
07-29-2002, 07:34 PM
From everything I have read or seen. Selling it all together just never seems to get what it is really worth. You do better buy parting it out but as you point out - it's a pain to advertize each part, mail etc... It boils down to more work for you vs. how many more $$$'s your ending up with. Is it worth it. Search eBay to see what prices your items are going for.

Try posting the entire system in the GURU's for sale section. It's free can't hurt.

Randy