View Full Version : Sonnet Tempo ATA/133 Firmware Upgrade Mistake

07-25-2002, 01:16 AM
Hello all,

As per my usual intro, a heads-up thanks to all who reply. Much appreciated.

Anyone have any ideas? I just installed a Sonnet Tempo ATA/133 card into my Dual GHz G4 without any problems and have three drives attached. I recently downloaded and installed the 3.1.1 Firmware update for High Capacity drives. I no longer have access to to my three drives that are attached. I can view them in OS9 but not X.

Here's the kicker. I downloaded the updater off Version Tracker or another site and didn't see any disclaimer. When I went to Sonnet's site for support, I saw the disclaimer to not install the update if you are using 10.1.5, which of course I am. I went to the readme file that comes with updater and noticed it's also there but at the very bottom of the document AFTER the install procedure. My fault, I didn't read thoroughly but Sonnet is also stupid to not make this more apparent at the top of the doc before install directions.

Anyway, spoke to Sonnet rep, won't mention his name, who needed to call back with an answer after he spoke to someon who was at lunch. He left me a message of info that I already knew and had already tried. I called back, explained the problem in more detail and was really surprised at the reply, or lack-there-of, I got back from this rep. His advice, send it back to who you bought it from. No, have you tried this, is there anyway to downgrade firmware, etc... No support at all quite frankly. Didn't even ask me a single probing qestion. It seemed like he was not interested in investigating.

In short, does anyone know or have any suggestions on how to get this card working again with 10.1.5? I updtated frimware from 3.0.2 to 3.1.1 and have lost all access to my attached drives under X. Can I downgrade firmware? Also, the install directions mention deleting a file in the System:Library directory, which IS there and copying an ATA/133 file into the Systems:Extensions folder which is nowhere to be found. I think the install is incomplete.

Please help if you have any ideas before I call the online vendor I purchased from and/or call back Sonnet to ream some ass!


07-25-2002, 05:40 AM
I would monitor the www.xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) site which has been where I've found info on firmware upgrades, work arounds, and all the gottchas. Plus waiting to read until someone else has applied it first.

...and to think I was contemplating that Tango Trio and G4/800 Crescendo, may rethink those purchases or hold off longer.


07-25-2002, 09:36 AM
Thanks Gregory, I'll do that, but I do also want to clarify something about the Sonnet experience. I do own several of their products which work very well. I think I just got the dud, or as some would say "not the sharpest pencil in the bunch" for my support call. It won't keep me from purchasing Sonnet products, their reliable, it just pissed me off this one time.

07-25-2002, 10:31 AM

?If Sonnet doesn't have a 're-flash' back to original utility then there may be absolutely nothing that you or their tech can do. The only repair in that case is to install the card on the machine they use to flash roms in the first place.

?I can see how this problem of your's can happen, we all try so hard to eck out the last bit of speed and we all do our upgrades in bursts tracking down every upgrade we can at relatively infrequent intervals, reading every last word in a readme just isn't done. That's why we bought Macs.

?Short of waiting for 10.2 to came out and maybe a new flash upgrade utility to go along with it you may have to send the card back to get it swapped out unless you want to be stuck running in OS9.

?Sorry, I haven't used Sonnet host cards so I don't necessarily KNOW that Sonnet doesn't have a Flash Down utility. Few companies do though so I wouldn't expect it.


07-25-2002, 10:38 AM
Thanks Rick. I'll keep that "very good" reply in mind. I plan on calling Sonnet again today and hopefully getting someone else who "IS" in the know. Other than that, I'll see if I can get my retailer to swap the card. All else fails, I'll have to wait until 10.2. Thanks.

07-25-2002, 11:24 AM
Those cards (PCI IDE) are based on a limited number of actual hardware models. So it is possible that it might take a firmware from ACard or SIIG etc as a long shot.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Sonnet has had to buck their use of cpu upgrades, loss of USB on Tango under OS X and some other issues like extension conflict's, a paid utility for OS X on older Macs that isn't as robust as Ryan's.

Hope you find an easy solution.

07-26-2002, 01:05 AM
Thanks all. No resolution to the Firmware update from Sonnet. They said they make this card and it's not 3rd party. They stuck by their earlier recommendation to return the card in exchange. That's what I have to do so I'm expecting another Fri. or Sat. Thanks to all for you assistance. Big help.


07-26-2002, 01:29 AM
Wow Craig,

?I'm impressed with Sonnet's response! That is a most adequate turnaround time and a more than fair policy. Might have to say more nice things about Sonnet from now on.....

?Thanks for post back on your resolution.


07-27-2002, 06:18 AM
I went looking and while the Tempo ATA/100 is a Promise board (Sonnet does the firmware maybe for Mac boot?) I am sure that Sonnet doesn't make the board, it is likely made by Acard now with the ATA/133.

I want to get one of these Tango Trio to add IDE/USB/FW to my Beige but only once I know they are safe and will work with 9.2 and 10.2.1 - which is asking a lot, three potential problems on one board working with Apple OS.